The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• @el-shmiablo Ryo and Ryu would be cool but mine would probably Ulala and Chris beating enemies on her beat.

• My team would consist of Segata Sanshiro and no one else

• @dmcmaster nope. He's the protagonist of the new game as well.

Ichiban Kasuga[1] is the protagonist of Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku and is set to appear in Ryu Ga Gotoku Online.

• @el-shmiablo Last year was too good. No matter what we vote for, there's going to be things we regret not voting for. Think lots of my picks aren't making it, but still happy to throw coins in the fountain.

• @dipset As I understand, they did not discuss Yakuza 6 because only Huber had played it, as Brad and Ben are following the remakes. They want there GOTY nominees to be the games that they played as a group.

I imagine if Kiwami 2 had not also come out this year, then they would have nominated Yakuza 6 in its place.

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey

#7. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 23 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Exist 2 Inspire, ShilentShniper)
    #2: 1 (ffff0)
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (Inustar, Faaip)
    HM: 5 (A7X458, Alex840, Sazime, Sentinel Beach, DMCMaster)

Information

Release date: October 5 [US/EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Action role-playing, Stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I don't know why I don't get sick of the AC games, but I don't. I've beat every one of them (except Rogue, but I just picked it up), and I will keep playing them until the end of time, probably.

• I've played all mainline Assassin's Creed games, because for me this franchise is a warm blanket: I love 3rd person action games that aren’t very challenging, I enjoy learning about real world's history and architecture and I like stealth. Yet I wasn’t ready for Odyssey.

Typically in Assassin’s Creed game I complete the main story, do some side quests and clear some locations. In Origins I’ve cleared the whole map after I finished the game. In Odyssey, my desire to see the world was so strong, that in the middle of chapter 3 I’ve started my 80-hours journey across the Ancient Greece.

And what a journey it was! I’ve visited many historical landmarks, saw countless beautiful vistas, helped lots of people and slayed even more enemies. But most importantly, I growed as a character. Early on the world outside of Kefalonia felt enormous and dangerous. Then, as I explored, I was getting a better understanding of the place and slowly gaining courage and skills to deal with wildlife, soldiers and eventually mercenaries. And by the end of my journey I felt that this world is mine and I can easily deal even with several hostile mercenaries simultaneously. Of course it’s all about leveling up and unlocking skills, but it matched perfectly with Kassandra, who changed from just a girl from remote island to a legend that even greatest generals don't want to have as an enemy.

The story was also a huge surprise, because for the first time in Assassin’s Creed game I cared about my character and wanted her to succeed. I liked that both killing and helping other people felt right at home. And the ending of a questline that starts and ends in Volcanic Islands region has one of the best payoffs I’ve ever seen in an RPG. I will not go into spoilers here, especially because it most likely will not be that impressive without the journey to get it.

Finally, this game has so many details that it truly feels alive. Underwater is full of stuff even in places you have no reason to dive. Nature changes smoothly as you climb the mountains. Murders in Olympia has severe consequences, going over the hill from shadowy side to sunny side feels appropriately majestic and water looks unbelievably real. I could go on and on, but this post is already too long. I love this game.

P.S. It’s my #2 because Detroit surprised me multiple times even beyond 1st playthrough, while I have no desire to restart Assassin's Creed Odyssey from the beginning. At least at the moment.

• Is this the first multiple GOTY votes

• @iboshow Yakuza 6 also had 2 at #1

• @tearju-engi lol, the game before.

• I really liked Kassandra and appreciated the fact that they'd added way more RPG elements to the game, especially the dialogue choises. Other than that, though, I liked Origins and Egypt more (and I've actually placed it retroactively as my GOTY 2017). But still, I really enjoy AC games in general every time and Odyssey is a fantastic representative of the series, so it was an easy HM for 2018.

• I really desperately want to play ACO as my love for the ancient Greece setting knows no boubds, but my backlog is absolutely massive and there are so many other games I also want to play, so I'm holding off for a bit.
    When we get to #1 I'll elaborate on why I love Ancient Greece so much.

• @tearju-engi said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

Yakuza 6 is so good. Was worried that everyone would skip it since many haven't played previous ones like me but I just could not wait. Currently my 2nd favorite out of the four I have played. 0 is still the king for me.

Honestly its probably my least favorite of the main games, something about it just didnt feel right, I think it kind of dragged and the whole secret was kind of lame, hence only an OM, it's still a good game, but I didnt love it like I loved some of the others, and probably doesnt help we've had so many come out lately

• @dipset

To each their own, 6 is my least favorite of the series, still good game, gave it an OM, but I felt the story dragged at times and that the big secret was a huge let down. I enjoyed 2 a lot more and it is my second favorite after 0

• I really want to try Odyssey. There is a nice big Ubisoft sale on the PS Store right now as we speak.

• Global Moderator

Odyssey are one of those games I would love to give a go, but not sure I'm willing to invest the amount of hours it would take to get through it. Also I feel like I should play Origin first. havent really touched the AC series since AC3.

• When I started playing Odyssey I thought I'd only play a couple hours to see what it's like and move on (got it for free). But I got hooked and played through the entire thing.

80 hours later, I finished the game, satisfied but slightly burned out.

It was very close to getting a HM from me but eventually I had to cut it off in favor of more original games, indies that deserved a shout-out. It's easily my favourite Assassin's Creed game and a great RPG overall, but its length hurt it in my eyes. I would have a much better memory of my journey if it lasted 40 hours instead of 80, as I feel much of it was repetitive, though always fun.

I don't know if I'll ever touch the DLCs for that reason, it's just too much of the same thing.

Beautiful world, cool story, some epic and tragic moments, although some felt robbed from me as they were inevitable consequences from choices I made 40 hours earlier (unlike Detroit where I had no problem rolling with the path I picked).

It feels like the game Origins was meant to be but ended up being a rought draft of. Now we've got a great template for the future of the series. Looking forward to the next one!

• I haven't picked up odyssey yet as I'm still only a little way into origins. Nothing about origins pulls me in though, the series really has burned itself out.

• @axel Haven't played it, but pretty sure I'd get obsessed if I did. All the design decisions and improvements for this one compared to others feel more meaningful and catered to the directions I wanted to see the series go when none of these games have excited me since Brotherhood until this one. Didn't expect to see it this high honestly, but I do think it is earned.