The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• @iboshow

In regards to the sci-fi stuff, I also like it. It was like a carrot on a stick in the first two games. Little glimpses of how it might culminate. It's my understanding that Patrice D├ęsilets and Jade Raymond intended a trilogy. I think people's disdain for the modern day things was because it flew off the rails.

I always imagined game three would be modern day. A culmination against the modern day templars. It never happened.

• WOAH! So we DID split the vote on Yakuza this year.

I was sure Kiwami 2 wasn't going to appear because people agree that Yakuza 6 is superior. I'm VERY surprised Kiwami 2 ended up this high.

EDIT: Even on our own poll Y6 got 2 GOTY and Y2K got 0. Weird but crazy to see 2 Yakuza games in top 10.

• @dipset probably because not many played Yakuza 6 and both are good and popular among us nowadays.

• What I said regarding Yakuza for the Song of Life's entry also applies here, so I'm not going to belabor the point further.

@ffff0 I really enjoy it when you bring these things to their attention! One of my favorite question types in the Q&A.

• @Dipset @parasitepaladin @Minamik @tokyoslim @Tearju-Engi all either rated Yakuza 6 higher or did not rate Yakuza 2 Kiwami

@ACardAttack @Sheria @Capnbobamous @Exist-2-Inspire @Axel @SunPraiser @Hidz all either rated Yakuza 2 Kiwami higher or did not rate Yakuza 6.

@iboshow had both as Honorable Mentions.

• I'm trying to limit myself to one Yakuza game a year and since I finished the first Kiwami last year, I didn't get around to playing Kiwami 2 and 6 will have to wait until I've finished everything up until that point. Clearly the series doesn't need my votes to receive recognition though and I always like seeing it get the attention it deserves.

• @sabotagethetruth You're never going to catch up that way.

• @tokyoslim I'd rather play the slow game than get burnt out and as long as I don't die in the next few years, I'll at least get to finish up all the Kiryu chapters.

• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

#5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 30 points

Votes

#1: 1 (El Shmiablo)
    #2: 1 (Hanabi)
    #3: 2 (Capnbobamous, DMCMaster)
    #4: 6 (Guthwulf, NeoCweeny, Bigdude1, AbsoluteUppercut, bard91, MiserablePerson)
    HM: 3 (Inustar, Nimbat1003, parasitepaladin)

Information

Release date: December 7 [US/EU]
    Developer: Sora Ltd., Bandai Namco Studios
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Fighting
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• About Yakuza Kiwami 2, I was very pleasantly surprised after being disappointed by Kiwami 1. The game is more gorgeous, detailed and photo-realistic than ever and I quite enjoyed the story (although it's a bit ridiculously heavy on plot twists near the end).

I'm still not a big fan of the combat system though, it's serviceable but not something I ever feel like I'm getting better at. That's the major thing that stops the game from ranking higher for me, even though the vibes of the games are top notch and it's probably one of my favourite game worlds overall. I'm also starting to feel the repetition of the formula, those games are all very, very similar to each other, even the side-quests themes tend to repeat themselves from game to game.

I still love it but I'm now a lot more excited to play Judgement than any other Yakuza game, it should at least offer something fresh while keeping the ingredients we love. We need more games with this much heart and soul!

• Wow! Super Smash Bros. Ultimate made it into top 25. Is this the first time multiplayer-focused game is recognized by us?

• So I just realized the Shadow of the Colossus remake didn't make the cut, which is a big ol' shame. Probably the best remake of a game that I have ever played (aside from Yakuza Kiwami 2).

Smash is spectacular though, and is definitely worthy of a top 5 slot.

• Fun fact: I initially had listed Smash as an honorable mention, despite not having played it at the time, which would have been a first for me. Eventually, I removed it for another multiplayer game that won't come onto this list but now that I've played it... it would have wound up somewhere. I'm still fairly fresh in the game but I already love it more than 64, Brawl, and the WiiU members of the franchise, so that's a mighty compliment.

• I think I was still riding the wave of excitement on the endgame of World of Light when I voted. If I went back I think I'd switch this and my #3 around but even then Ultimate is still a great game and easily one of the best of last year. Feels like a straight upgrade from Smash 4 in my eyes. And beyond that I distinctly remember when 4 had the ballot my only wish was for everyone (yes including nobody nerds like Pichu and never ever happenings like Snake) to return, and I got that in U, so anything beyond that like Inklings or Simon and Richter was just icing on the cake.

• I'll confess. I don't even own a Switch. I play it on my best friend's at his place.
    Every year there is a Smash it will get this spot. No exceptions. Favorite game series of all time.

• There are many factors against Smash about why I don't get into it:

• It's a fighting game
    • Overwhelming amount of choice, meaning I would never use 85-90% of the cast
    • WAAYYYY too long single player content for what it's made of
    • It's a better experience to play it with others and as someone who doesn't play multiplayer and whose friends don't own a Switch, much less play Smash, then games like this never get a chance.

But I have to be honest: When it was revealed you could practically turn the Switch into another mp3 with this game's 900+ track selection, that made me really interested. But still, if I want to listen to music, I've got my own mp3 player.

I think Smash is probably 1 and 1a with Zelda as having the most fervent fanbase so it always feels like a moment when a new one gets released. Anything lower than top 5 would have been a shock.

• @tokyoslim 6 was my number 1 and K2 was my number 2 HEEYAW

• I wish I had a Switch.

• @el-shmiablo said:

I play it on my best friend's at his place.

Makes sense as that's the way you'd have the most fun with it and not run into as many shortcomings like the online.

@Brannox It is a pretty accessible Fighting Game at least. At one time the devs even wanted to classify Smash as a Party Game rather, but Ultimate clearly leaned into the Fighting Game definition. Shouldn't get too overwhelmed by all the choices. Just try different fighters until you find ones you like. You don't need a mastery of every character. Agree that World of Light is definitely too long with not enough variety for what it is. Also, it is pretty much a subpar RPG Campaign within a Fighting Game, but at least Classic Mode exists to be the good proper Fighting Game Campaign in Ultimate. Way better with others, but you can still have some fun with it on your own.

I love all the music and that feature. That's definitely what sold me on it when I was questioning some decisions with Ultimate and how "ultimate" this version really was with all the missing content. As fun as the hype cycles around Smash games are, Ultimate was tame by comparison to 4 and Brawl due to how quickly it released after announcement and how there were fewer new fighters and their reveals were more front loaded. I'm glad Sakurai announced everyone before launch, but that also meant you didn't have the excitement of staying up days before release to see people discover hidden fighters from early procured copies of the game. Also Smash 4 just had more great reveal trailers. Ultimate had some of the best reveal trailers ever, but it was only afew of those along with a couple less stellar reveals.

So yeah, I didn't even vote for Smash, not because I don't like it or think it is an impressive package, but because I have so many qualms with it and really think it could've been an even better game. Nintendo's recently released Q&A for their recent financials hints at more content for Ultimate though, which could be anything from just the newcomers from the Fighter's Pass to possibly adding back some of the modes like Home Run Contest that got lost during Ultimate's development. So if they patch some of that stuff in and actually make the online good, maybe in a year or two I'll feel much fonder than I currently do for this game, but right now it probably wouldn't even crack my top 15 for last year. Glad others are enjoying it though.

• Really good to see Yakuza 2 so high. The original has remained the best of the series all the way into the current generation, and while I could stand corrected in the future, I just cant see six topping it when I get around to trying it.