The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• @tokyoslim I'd rather play the slow game than get burnt out and as long as I don't die in the next few years, I'll at least get to finish up all the Kiryu chapters.

• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

#5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 30 points

Votes

#1: 1 (El Shmiablo)
    #2: 1 (Hanabi)
    #3: 2 (Capnbobamous, DMCMaster)
    #4: 6 (Guthwulf, NeoCweeny, Bigdude1, AbsoluteUppercut, bard91, MiserablePerson)
    HM: 3 (Inustar, Nimbat1003, parasitepaladin)

Information

Release date: December 7 [US/EU]
    Developer: Sora Ltd., Bandai Namco Studios
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Fighting
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• About Yakuza Kiwami 2, I was very pleasantly surprised after being disappointed by Kiwami 1. The game is more gorgeous, detailed and photo-realistic than ever and I quite enjoyed the story (although it's a bit ridiculously heavy on plot twists near the end).

I'm still not a big fan of the combat system though, it's serviceable but not something I ever feel like I'm getting better at. That's the major thing that stops the game from ranking higher for me, even though the vibes of the games are top notch and it's probably one of my favourite game worlds overall. I'm also starting to feel the repetition of the formula, those games are all very, very similar to each other, even the side-quests themes tend to repeat themselves from game to game.

I still love it but I'm now a lot more excited to play Judgement than any other Yakuza game, it should at least offer something fresh while keeping the ingredients we love. We need more games with this much heart and soul!

• Wow! Super Smash Bros. Ultimate made it into top 25. Is this the first time multiplayer-focused game is recognized by us?

• So I just realized the Shadow of the Colossus remake didn't make the cut, which is a big ol' shame. Probably the best remake of a game that I have ever played (aside from Yakuza Kiwami 2).

Smash is spectacular though, and is definitely worthy of a top 5 slot.

• Fun fact: I initially had listed Smash as an honorable mention, despite not having played it at the time, which would have been a first for me. Eventually, I removed it for another multiplayer game that won't come onto this list but now that I've played it... it would have wound up somewhere. I'm still fairly fresh in the game but I already love it more than 64, Brawl, and the WiiU members of the franchise, so that's a mighty compliment.

• I think I was still riding the wave of excitement on the endgame of World of Light when I voted. If I went back I think I'd switch this and my #3 around but even then Ultimate is still a great game and easily one of the best of last year. Feels like a straight upgrade from Smash 4 in my eyes. And beyond that I distinctly remember when 4 had the ballot my only wish was for everyone (yes including nobody nerds like Pichu and never ever happenings like Snake) to return, and I got that in U, so anything beyond that like Inklings or Simon and Richter was just icing on the cake.

• I'll confess. I don't even own a Switch. I play it on my best friend's at his place.
    Every year there is a Smash it will get this spot. No exceptions. Favorite game series of all time.

• There are many factors against Smash about why I don't get into it:

• It's a fighting game
    • Overwhelming amount of choice, meaning I would never use 85-90% of the cast
    • WAAYYYY too long single player content for what it's made of
    • It's a better experience to play it with others and as someone who doesn't play multiplayer and whose friends don't own a Switch, much less play Smash, then games like this never get a chance.

But I have to be honest: When it was revealed you could practically turn the Switch into another mp3 with this game's 900+ track selection, that made me really interested. But still, if I want to listen to music, I've got my own mp3 player.

I think Smash is probably 1 and 1a with Zelda as having the most fervent fanbase so it always feels like a moment when a new one gets released. Anything lower than top 5 would have been a shock.

• @tokyoslim 6 was my number 1 and K2 was my number 2 HEEYAW

• I wish I had a Switch.

• @el-shmiablo said:

I play it on my best friend's at his place.

Makes sense as that's the way you'd have the most fun with it and not run into as many shortcomings like the online.

@Brannox It is a pretty accessible Fighting Game at least. At one time the devs even wanted to classify Smash as a Party Game rather, but Ultimate clearly leaned into the Fighting Game definition. Shouldn't get too overwhelmed by all the choices. Just try different fighters until you find ones you like. You don't need a mastery of every character. Agree that World of Light is definitely too long with not enough variety for what it is. Also, it is pretty much a subpar RPG Campaign within a Fighting Game, but at least Classic Mode exists to be the good proper Fighting Game Campaign in Ultimate. Way better with others, but you can still have some fun with it on your own.

I love all the music and that feature. That's definitely what sold me on it when I was questioning some decisions with Ultimate and how "ultimate" this version really was with all the missing content. As fun as the hype cycles around Smash games are, Ultimate was tame by comparison to 4 and Brawl due to how quickly it released after announcement and how there were fewer new fighters and their reveals were more front loaded. I'm glad Sakurai announced everyone before launch, but that also meant you didn't have the excitement of staying up days before release to see people discover hidden fighters from early procured copies of the game. Also Smash 4 just had more great reveal trailers. Ultimate had some of the best reveal trailers ever, but it was only afew of those along with a couple less stellar reveals.

So yeah, I didn't even vote for Smash, not because I don't like it or think it is an impressive package, but because I have so many qualms with it and really think it could've been an even better game. Nintendo's recently released Q&A for their recent financials hints at more content for Ultimate though, which could be anything from just the newcomers from the Fighter's Pass to possibly adding back some of the modes like Home Run Contest that got lost during Ultimate's development. So if they patch some of that stuff in and actually make the online good, maybe in a year or two I'll feel much fonder than I currently do for this game, but right now it probably wouldn't even crack my top 15 for last year. Glad others are enjoying it though.

• Really good to see Yakuza 2 so high. The original has remained the best of the series all the way into the current generation, and while I could stand corrected in the future, I just cant see six topping it when I get around to trying it.

• Smash was the hardest one to leave off my list, but again I prioritized games that gave me brand new experiences, and Smash didn't do that, as fun as it is.

It's still an excellent game and a must-have for Switch owners. World of Light does get repetitive but is a very fun ride if you take your time with it, especially if you manage to avoid spoilers and discover game world after game world implemented with love in this mode. I haven't even dabbled much with Classic mode but I'll get to that eventually.

I'm very excited for the new fighters and hope we'll get other genuine surprises like Joker.

• @mbun As far as accessibilty, I would go so far as to say it's the easiest to pick and up and play.

But I'm weird when it comes to being given character choice, regardless of the game. Take Mass Effect 2 as an example. I love that game, but my biggest gripe with it is, to me, it gives me all these different characters when I don't need/use them. And with how the story is designed, you practically need to use Legion for the rest of the game once you meet him, and that's only his loyalty mission and the Suicide Mission. So characters like Samara, Jacob, Zaeed, Miranda, Kasumi, Jack, and even a couple of my favorites in Thane and Mordin I never really use, because there's too much choice.

I'm someone who wants to give every character/party member/etc. their fair shake and time, so to me, having a cap of like 6-9 characters max is my sweet spot, and nine is pushing it. It's why when I look at ANY fighting game roster, I think to myself, "Pick one, ignore the others" and that makes me feel weird.

But back to Smash: I DID own Melee when I still had a Gamecube over a decade ago, and fighting against the computer by myself just wasn't fun. I've given other fighting franchises a shot, but I've just come to accept it isn't for me. I will say though I enjoyed Ultimate's E3 presentation more than anything else from the show, and I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan.

• Monster Hunter World

#4. Monster Hunter World - 38 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Tearju Engi, Minamik)
    #2: 1 (Lotias)
    #3: 4 (Kaminski, Bigdude1, El Shmiablo, AbsoluteUppercut)
    #4: 2 (Hidz, SunPraiser)
    HM: 8 (Shoulderguy, DIPSET, TokyoSlim, SabotageTheTruth, A7X458, Macka, Nimbat1003, tokeeffe9)

Information

Release date: December 7 [US/EU]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I've played its beta and it was obvious that you need to spend a lot of time with each weapon to be good at this game. This is not something I has interest in, so I haven't played the full game. But at least I understand why people love it (unlike Smash, where I don't).

• Monster Hunter World was my game of the year for a good portion of 2018 but it eventually slid down to just an honorable mention. That's not to say I didn't absolutely love my first Monster Hunter game because I remember being absolutely obsessed with it for nearly a month after release. While the story is real, real bad (characters don't even have names, they are referred to by their job titles), the mechanics really elevate this, along with all the various monsters you encounter, and how different each weapon feels. The end game grind becomes a little cumbersome (which is why I stopped when credits rolled essentially) but it definitely deserves a spot in the top 10.

• When Monster Hunter World came out in January and the hype kept growing over the next few months, I really started to feel like it's candidacy for being a GOTY dark horse was legitimate. While not really known from a "main stream" point of view, I really feel this entry put the series on the map in a whole new way. I truly believe 2018 made Monster Hunter grow from a quasi-niche franchise with a hardcore following to a popular one.

I think it held a consensus (or at least the majority of the mindshare in terms of coverage and discussion) of 2018's best game until probably the second half of the year came along. I will say this though: Capcom has struck GOLD with their now yearly January title: RE VII in 2017, this last year, and now RE 2 Remake, it's GENIUS to hold a major game until now, kicking off the year.

Personally, I held off from Monster Hunter, because while the concept of hunting monsters is a fun one (it's actually my favorite thing to do in a couple of Final Fantasies), the sheer amount of systems for this game leave me overwhelmed. But good on ya Capcom. I applaud this game greatly.

• Monster Hunter World is #5 on my personal list. Defeating Xeno'Jiiva is probably my favorite gameplay moment from last year. I had a great time playing the game completely solo with my Palico Catt Damon. Using mostly a hammer and sometimes a bow.