The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• @brannox I was exactly in the same boat as you, everything about the game seemed great to me but I'm just not a big Spider-Man fan (always been more of a Batman guy). So I was not hyped at all for the game, it was always this thing in the background that EZA was gushing over and I figured I'd maybe get to one day.

And I did get to it, and now I'm a Spider-Man fan, so hopefully I can convince you to give it a shot ;)

It really does an amazing job at selling its world and characters, making it both accessible for newcomers and (I'm sure) full of nods and references for fans. Just like Arkham Asylum did back in the day. It makes you want to learn more about everyone, want to read all the codec entries and backgrounds, want to research names and events.

And the gameplay is an absolute blast, I could never get tired of it. The combat is smooth and fun and allows for extensive creativity, the way some of the gadgets can be combined is surprisingly deep and I ended up still discovering new combos by the end of the DLC. You can more or less use the same basic attacks the entire game and get away with it, but if you put in the effort you'll be way more efficient and spectacular.

I also felt like story was spinning its wheels for quite a while, but it does end up being very satisfying. The writing and acting is great, pretty much all the characters are a delight to interact with, the humour hits the mark more often than not.

After Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I really appreciated the limited size and scope of the world, I much prefer a small world I can get to know intimately by the end of the game. Even though a lot of care is put in the creation of AC locales, as a player I always end up rushing through every one of them because I know I won't stay long enough to care.

Here I felt like I got to know my way around New York and its different neighborhoods, just like I know Kamurocho in Yakuza, it's way more satisfying (and less intimidating).

And it helps a lot that traversal is so fun and immediate. Zipping is indeed one of the most fun things I did last year, Huber is right!

Sure, some of the side activities get repetitive (and I agree the Screwball ones pissed me off on a couple occasions), but because the core gameplay is so polished, it never felt like a grind. I jumped into the DLC immediately after finishing the main game, and it felt like a mini-sequel to the game (with a pretty cool story too!). And if they'd pump out another 3 of those, I'd happily play them too! I was satisfied, but left wanting more, which is the best feeling to have when finishing a game. Unlike AC, where I was just relieved it was finally over.

Overall, this was by far the most unadulterated fun I had with a videogame last year. Amazing job, Insomniac, you've made a fan out of me. I'll be there day one for the sequel this time.

• Also, that points range though. From 38 to 66! It just shows how great the top 3 is when MHW trails that far.

• @bam541 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

Also, that points range though. From 38 to 66! It just shows how great the top 3 is when MHW trails that far.

Oh you ain't seen nothin' yet!

• @axel So we can expect GoW go over 400 points? Maybe even 500?

• Am I a hipster for voting Spider-Man as my GOTY

• @axel First off, I have to say WOW what a response! And like you I lean more towards Batman, but that comes with some caveats:

1. I'm only really into Rocksteady's trilogy and the Nolan trilogy
    2. One inspired the other for me. Meaning: I tried the Arkham Asylum demo on 360 and liked it enough to give the whole game a shot, which lead me to getting into said trilogy and after hearing so much love regarding the Dark Knight movies, I watched and liked them as well (Dark Knight is actually one of my top five movies overall).
    3. I have no desire to read comics and while I respect the Animated series, it's only something I'll sit and watch if I happen across, not something I seek out.

All of that is to say, Batman is personally a special case, and a limited one at that. If Insomniac or Sony decided to pull a RE 2 Remake and put a 30 minute trial to do whatever I wanted, or perhaps if they went the Anthem route and gave me like a three mission demo to try, it might put me over the edge to test it out. I will admit that the E3 demo did a good job trying to sell me on it better than anything prior, but it's still the property, and I just don't care for Spider-man.

I'm not a superhero person. Never really have been. Don't think I ever will be. Hell, I'm probably one of the few people on Earth who cares little to nothing in regards to Marvel. The only Marvel movies I've seen are the first two Iron Mans and the first Captain America. That genre just does not appeal.

And I also share in the need for having a limited size to a world. I don't like it when there's so much to the point of paralysis by analysis on what to do and where to go.

Outside of minor critiques, I've seen constant praise, it showed well at conferences, and with that Insomniac stamped on the box, I know it's high quality. Maybe some day when there's a lull in game releases where I don't have interest (I have quite a bit I'm looking forward to this year if release windows for many hold).

And for your comment about seeing nothing yet.... Tomorrow is going to be interesting, one way or another.

• @iboshow It's not about who wins GOTY, it's about the hipster friends we made along the way!

• @brannox Sounds like we're really in the same boat then, because I'm also not into comics themselves, I just always liked Batman since childhood but my interest was limited to the animated series and movies. And Arkham Asylum had the same effect on me as it had on you, it made me so much more invested in the character and world.

And this Spider-Man game, despite having way less initial interest in the character than I had with Batman, had the same effect Arkham had on me. Combined with the double whammy of the Into the Spider-verse movie (probably the best animated movie I've ever seen), this was a good year for Spider-Man!

So it might seduce you yet! If you see it on sale one of these days, I really think you can't go wrong with it ;)

• Marvel’s Spider-Man is my #8 because it has great traversal, fun combat and it looks good. However its story is clearly designed for hardcore fans. I watched 3 Spider-Man movies in early 2000s, but beside Octavius, Mary Jane and Spider-Man himself I knew no one from the cast. And of course they properly introduced only these 3 characters, the rest were just thrown in. So when Spider-man fights other super villains in prison, they were just tough nameless thugs for me. And when Peter has dramatic scene with someone, I was trying to guess who this is instead of filling any emotions. It was like trying to watch season 7 of Game of Thrones without the first 6. Yet this is the first Spider-Man game in the series and it was widely marketed, so it should be more welcoming for newcomers.

Also there were several things that felt like a plot holes. For example, (slight spoilers) unconscious Spider-Man was treated in the hospital, but his identity remained unknown and his costume stayed on him. Show me a hospital where patients are treated in their cloth and mask.

And this game has distractingly bad interior mapping. I understand hardware limitations, but if you can render only one type of interior for a building, it’s better to just show blank windows instead of a huge building filled with exactly the same room from top to bottom.

But as I said already, this game has great traversal and fun combat. It not as good as Sunset Overdrive, but it’s still fun, so it’s my #8.

• I'm so happy with what Insomniac did to Spidey, my favourite hero for almost 25 years now. The game's just such a joy to play. And the story itself was a great surprise, way more interesting, thrilling and diverse than I had dared to hope for. So many cool moments, missions, scenarios and character interactions. And Yuri Lowenthal really was the perfect choise for Peter, the man delivered his lines in such a fantastic fashion throughout the game. He literally made me laugh out loud so many times with Spidey's quips but also shed a few tears, even.

What a foundation for a game series already with the first one being this good. I can't wait to see how they'll continue. And on PS5!

• @brannox

But honestly, I can't get into it. I AM impressed at the number of runner-up votes it got. EIGHT! I'm very happy for Insomniac that it is such a massive success, and selfishly, I see that as a double-down on a sequel as opposed to Ratchet & Clank, which is a personal bummer. Still, a deserved honor and a shame they got Horizon'd at the Game Awards.

I love Insomniac for their R&C games and Im sure Spiderman is fun to play, but I have absolutely no interest in playing it, not really sure why

• To echo someone else's sentiments, the combat in Spidey initially seems kind of sloppy, but only because you have no idea what the fuck you are doing. A few hours in and I can see that the combat is character action levels of awesome and intuitive. One of the few games where I can look at a combat situation, plan out exactly what I want to do, and execute it flawlessly because everything is so fluid and intuitive.

Everything about the game blew me away. They had a very clear love for everything Spidey and it shows. Eagerly anticipating DLC/sequel/anything they do.

• I'll pick up Spiderman when its cheap. Looks like something ill enjoy but never love.

• Global Moderator

I’ve got a lot to catch up on…

Celeste - I’m pretty surprised this ended up outside the top 10. For me, throughout the year there were two games that were always locked in the Top 2 and this was one. The main thing I love about Celeste is just that you as the player already have so many movement options that you are still being thought even into the final C side! You always had this move at your disposal, you don’t need to unlock it but you have to learn it and that’s what is so rewarding about Celeste in comparison to so many games that is just a quick button press (I’ll get to you AC Odyssey)
    So that’s the main thing but I love the soundtrack, I love all the B/C sides and how super challenging they are, the assist mode you have and all the characters are so endearing… I couldn’t believe how invested I was in the story. It was just icing to the cake really. In the year that I finally got to play Tropical Freeze (which I adored too), Celeste blew me away.

Detroit Become Human - Just a quick nod that I really dug this game and it’s easily the best Quantic Dream game. It’s the first one I’ve played through, enjoyed and completed and still enjoyed it looking back.

Return of the Obra Dinn - Oh man, another really cool game. I’ve left thoughts on this in Last game I completed but to get to the point quickly, it’s the best detective game out there. There is only one instance I can think of where I thought this is a bit stupid in guessing but overall you are enough information and so many options that it doesn’t make the game just an A or B case where most detective games fall down on. If you’ve any interest in puzzle games and specifically investigative type games, you absolutely should check out Obra Dinn. Genuinely such a cool unique game.

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey - Since this is more so a celebration of last years games. I’ll keep this one short. I’m currently playing through AC and finished one of the many storylines. I think it’s an improvement over previous games in the series but I do fall more on the side of this game is a pretty big passive grind. But as I lost a bet, I will complete all the main quests. One thing I did like early on though is hunting cult members, that was a cool idea.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 - And once I do complete Odyssey, finally gonna sink some time into Kiwami 2. It’s been there waiting below my PS4

Super Smash Bros Ultimate - This is the first time I’ve really invested in Smash properly and I actually like this game a lot. I didn’t vote for it but it’s a blast with friends and after initially not being into World of Light at all I’m finding it’s perfect for my commutes so I’ll probably end up finishing it.

Monster Hunter World - This was genuinely a bit of a surprise for me. After all the great buzz I decided to pick up the PC version and even though I gave out earlier about how much of a grind something like AC Odyssey is, Monster Hunter World can have a huge grind too. But the thing that really sets it apart is just how fun it is to engage with all the different builds and monsters. Add in the group dynamic and this game is an absolute blast to play with friends. In the end, I put in about 90 hours into the game. I must actually go back sometime to check out any updates and Icebourne!

Spiderman - Easily the most fun I’ve had traversing in a game since Infamous Second Son. It is a joy to swing around and they nail that instantly with the opening scene of the game. I think it gets super repetitive with the crimes (like 20 per area!) and some of the side stuff is very hit and miss but overall they delivered an excellent game with a fantastic cast, like holy cow some of the performances and scenes were fantastic. Insomiac have the foundations there now to make a truly great game in the sequel.

• Borrowed this off of a friend this week. I’m not super into super hero’s nor open world games, but I do like me a bit of Spider-Man back when I was younger.

I was very sceptical with Arkham Asylum back in the lead up marketing in 2008, then I tried the demo and didn’t love it. I got it anyways because of the hype train and it became one of my all time favourite games. I’ve heard nothing but great things about Spider-Man so I hope I’ll have the same feels.

• I had the pleasure of playing Spiderman a couple of weeks ago. It's a great game, with fantastic traversal that makes it an absolute joy to get around. I surprisingly enjoyed the story a lot more than I thought. That last boss fight gives me Spiderman 2 Enter Electro vibes. I also really like how the game staggers the collectables. Getting landmark pictures mid-swing is one of the coolest collectable game mechanics in recent memory.

But...

I think the combat doesn't scale very well in terms of difficulty. To me, it feels like a lot of the more difficult combat missions, like the prisoner camps and the Sable bases are half blind luck. This I think is because there's no turn system like there is in the Arkham games. Enemies will overwhelm you if they can. And that's great for the vast majority of the game because it encourages you to fight actively rather than reactively, but it also means that when the game is trying to give you the hardest fights in the game, throwing multiple rocket launchers, jet packs, and lots of guns at you, it's nigh on impossible to avoid it all. In Arkham I could always point at something and say "that's where I went wrong in that combat encounter". In Spiderman, I feel completely incapable because I don't understand what I was supposed to have done to avoid that thing while avoiding everything else. Deaths always seem to be a result of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, which just seems completely unfair and unnecessarily frustrating.

I also think the Drone and Bomb Challenges require a way too high standard for 3 stars. I grinded out the Bomb challenges but got to the Drone challenges and just said "Fuck this". Those challenges should have a lot lower requirements.

Definitely worth playing and I'm glad I did, but also definitely won't be picking up the DLC as I've heard the combat difficulty goes even higher.

• Had a lot of fun! what kept it as a honorable mention for me is that the open world although very impressive, felt more like a checklist of challenges. Great story but the combat didn't grab me that much.

I love me some spiderman though

• Red Dead Redemption 2

#2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 69 points

Votes

#1: 6 (ACardAttack, Bigdude1, SunPraiser, Alex840, Sentinel Beach, Capnbobamous)
    #2: 6 (Shoulderguy, Hazz3r, Inustar, TokyoSlim, A7X458, Faaip)
    #3: 3 (bam541, ShilentShniper, MiserablePerson)
    #4: 0
    HM: 6 (Hidz, Exist 2 Inspire, NeoCweeny, Nimbat1003, bard91, Minamik)

Information

Release date: October 26 [US/EU]
    Developer: Rockstar Studios
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• God of War

#1. God of War - 124 points

Votes

#1: 18 (Mbun, Shoulderguy, Brannox, Hazz3r, Inustar, Hidz, TokyoSlim, Mango, SabotageTheTruth, A7X458, Lotias, Macka, bam541, AbsoluteUppercut, Nimbat1003, Faaip, tokeeffe9, Sazime)
    #2: 5 (DIPSET, iboshow, El Shmiablo, Alex840, Capnbobamous)
    #3: 2 (SunPraiser, Sentinel Beach)
    #4: 3 (Danjin44, Axel, Kaminski)
    HM: 2 (Tearju Engi, bard91)

Information

Release date: April 20 [US/EU]
    Developer: SIE Santa Monica Studio
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia