The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• God of War

#1. God of War - 124 points

Votes

#1: 18 (Mbun, Shoulderguy, Brannox, Hazz3r, Inustar, Hidz, TokyoSlim, Mango, SabotageTheTruth, A7X458, Lotias, Macka, bam541, AbsoluteUppercut, Nimbat1003, Faaip, tokeeffe9, Sazime)
    #2: 5 (DIPSET, iboshow, El Shmiablo, Alex840, Capnbobamous)
    #3: 2 (SunPraiser, Sentinel Beach)
    #4: 3 (Danjin44, Axel, Kaminski)
    HM: 2 (Tearju Engi, bard91)

Information

Release date: April 20 [US/EU]
    Developer: SIE Santa Monica Studio
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Seems about right

• Global Moderator

I didn't have Red Dead Redemption in my vote but I did really like a lot about the game. The world, narrative, characters are all fantastic I think but the game itself is bogged down by archaic main mission structures and combat I really didn't like that just threw it off the list.

I still think about the high points with it though and I love all the extra details and easter eggs.

As for God of War, just a fantastic game that I've gushed over enough in the main topic.

• Damn it, Spider-Man needed 4 more points. I can't believe RD3 is 2nd.

• Wow.

Just. Wow.

Let me quickly touch on Red Dead for a moment: I respect how realistic the game strives to be and it can't really be argued about how graphically impressive it is. But as someone who never like Westerns (and just a general dislike of Rockstar's portfolio at large), I simply don't get the love for it. I understand that goes both ways, so I don't really press the issue, but as I touched on in regards to Spider-man, I thought it would be a two game race because zeitgeist and expectation are POWERFUL things.

So I'm overjoyed God of War was much better than expectations, which for me were pretty high.

I'm not going into why I like the game. To do so when 29 other people put in on their lists and the game garnered 18 GOTY NODS... I don't think it's ever been this one sided. Almost DOUBLE the points. That's INSANE.

So I'm not going to tag everybody. That's a lot. But kudos to one of the best games I've ever played and I'm so excited for what's to come.

Next, as is custom my list:

1. God of War
    2. Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
    3. Detroit Become Human
    4. Shadow of the Tomb Raider

2018 wasn't really my year for my interests. I had two sure fire good times, a nice surprise, and an as expected average three-quel. 2019 though, has a lot scheduled and I'm more excited for the next 10 months than the previous 12.

And finally, once again, @Axel you absolutely rock for always organizing these. Thanks so much.

• I love Red Dead 2 -- and it was my personal GOTY, but if it were to lose to anything, I'm honored that it's God of War. Both games are truly phenomenal, I just preferred the narrative of Red Dead.

My list is as follows:

Red Dead Redemption 2
    God of War
    Super Smash Bros.: Ultimate
    Yakuza Kiwami 2

Honorable Mentions:

Spider-man
    Return of the Obra Dinn
    Ni No Kuni 2
    Shadow of the Colossus Remake

1. God of War
    2. Red Dead Redemption 2
    3. Octopath Traveler
    4. Marvel's Spider-man
    5. Monster Hunter World (Honorable Mention)
    6. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    7. Celeste (Honorable Mention)
    8. Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Honorable Mention)
    9. Into the Breach
    10. Kingdom Come Deliverance (Honorable Mention)

• Woo!

Here's my list. Im a bit surprised Dead Cells and Tomb Raider didn't make it. Definitely a tough year

1. God of War
    2. Red Dead Redemption
    3. Dead Cells
    4. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
      -Kingdom Come Deliverance
      -Spyro Reignited Trilogy
      -Ni No Kuni 2
      -Shadow of the Tomb Raider

• #1: God of War
    #2: RDR2
    #3: Spider-Man
    #4: Yakuza 6
    Honorable mentions: Monster Hunter: World, Tetris Effect, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Donut County

• I also never liked Westerns, it's a setting that doesn't appeal to me at all, feels like it's always the same (I know, I know, I'm probably wrong). So Red Dead had a lot of work to do to convince me, and upon hearing about the rigidness of its controls and design, plus its massive scale, I was easily discouraged from ever trying it.

I placed God of War lower than I myself would have expected earlier in the year, and can't really explain why. I had a great time going through it, but after playing Spider-Man, I realized in retrospect that I didn't completely love the combat system in GoW. Maybe it was partly my fault, but I feel like most encounters played out exactly the same way and I never really got better at it throughout, or needed to.

It was my first God of War too so I had no prior emotional attachment to the character, maybe that's why it didn't leave such a mark on me. I felt like the game world was artificial, due to the lack of NPCs and just... life. Are we the only people who live there? I'm sure it's explained at some point in the game and I probably forgot, but it just made the whole thing feel off. But it's definitely an excellent game and I'll be there for the inevitable sequel!

• 1.Spider-Man
    2.God of War
    3.Dragon Ball FighterZ
    4.Pro Evolution Soccer 2019
    HM
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Yakuza 6
    Football Manager 2019
    Yakuza Kiwami 2

• None of these 2 got my votes for various reasons. God of War is my most disappointing game of 2018. And it’s surprising, because it 3rd person action game with great but not challenging combat, clever puzzles, good visuals and the story similar to The Last of Us. I like all the above, but for some reason I didn’t care about any of it. And after Huber gave it a 10 I was expecting a masterpiece. Maybe this is my "The Last Guardian" – everyone loves it and I should also, but I don’t.

Red Dead Redemption 2 has almost none marketing campaign but everyone went crazy just because it’s a new Rockstar game. I liked GTA 4, 5 and Red Dead Redemption, but not to the point of playing everything from that studio. So this marketing campaign and this hype felt like pressure: you have to like this game. So I rebelled and pushed my playthrough to December hoping that hype and other noise will die by that point and I will be able to play this game on my own terms. Hype didn’t die, and Rockstar didn’t put it on sale, which felt wrong for me, so I pushed this game to the bottom of my backlog.

But my backlog cleared pretty quickly and I’ve managed to trade-in God of War, Super Mario Odyssey and Need for Speed carbon for Red Dead Redemption II, so I’ve started this game this Sunday. I’ve finished 2 chapters so far. It’s too early to talk about story and characters, but I like that game’s world doesn’t feel compressed and that it looks stunning on my Xbox One X.

• And here are my 2018 GotYs:

1. Detroit: Become Human
    2. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
    3. The Banner Saga 3
    4. Forza Horizon 4
    5. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    6. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
    7. Astro Bot Rescue Mission
    8. Marvel’s Spider-Man

• @Axel Can you publish the rest of the list (just titles with points)?

• @ffff0 Yup I'm preparing this, I'll post it later on. Giving some room to breathe to God of War and Red Dead for people to give their impressions.

• Played God of War. I definitely don't see what everyone else does in it.

As far as the whole list goes, it's just that and Obra Dinn that I've played.

• Global Moderator

@faaip Oh ya, no Dead Cells is crazy! I had to give my vote to Into the Breach but I loved Dead Cells too. 2018 was stacked!

• @tokeeffe9 I should mention that my list is pretty much everything from 2018 that I played haha. I'm sure it'll be subject to change as I get to more! Dead Cells is real good though

• Dude. That point range. You weren't kidding, @axel

Anyway, God of War definitely deserved it. It's an unthinkable achievement overall. Need to replay it again, I didn't play it at the best of times so I felt the need to rush it a bit. Major props to Santa Monica Studios, I'm still blown away by the fact that they did all of that game in one-shot. I do have a complaint regarding the repetitive throw-the-axe-to-hit-every-glowing-vine sections (and anything similiar), i know that TLoU and Uncharted 4 have those kinds of sections too and I enjoyed them there, but for some reason it really grinds my gears here. I also felt that some parts of the world can feel too much like a game level sometimes, especially in the main hub lake. Other than that, there's no complains.

As for RDR2, well, as a big fan of the western setting (and especially weapons of that era), I adore this game. It's the kind of game I've been wanting in my dreams, a super realistic, highly detailed open-world game with AAA budget, and lots of "realism mechanics". I loved the slow start, and i loved almost everything leading up to the start of chapter 4 (which is where I am right now, haven't finished it). The controls are a bit... different, but once i understood the controls (which didn't take long for me) and how the game wanted me to play, everything felt natural for me. It's already in my top personal favorite games list, handily beating it's predecessor. Easily Rockstar's best. I can't put it too high since I haven't finished it, but I'm confident in saying all of that.

Here's my list:

1. God of War
    2. Spider-Man
    3. RDR 2
    4. Battlefield V

Honorable mentions:

Shadow of the Colossus
    Kingdom Come Deliverance
    Dragon Quest XI
    Tetris Effect

I am a bit disappointed that SotC and BFV didn't get in (KCD not getting in, I understand), but It's still a fantastic list overall, there's just too many great games this year.

Once again, thanks to @Axel for setting this up, and for everyone who participated.

• @bam541 KCD was 21!