The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• @hazz3r really? Damn, i forgot. Oh, happy days!

• Well, RDR2. I already gushed over it in the recent Cup of Jones, but I love the cinematography in this game. It's basically a 60 hour film and it's wonderful for it. Easily my favourite thing:

Colm O'Driscolls final couple of missions were incredible.

The only problem I found is that gameplay clearly came second in a lot of places. While the hunting is 'realistic', it's also a gigantic timesink that doesn't care for the players time. Systems were implemented for the sake of implementing systems. Getting supplies for the camp is a huge focus of the first few missions but from what I can tell has absolutely no impact at all. The economy is really broken and completely breaks your immersion. You get a huge payout early in the game and never need for money ever again.

And of course God of War. I think this is going to be the best game on PS4. It's just incredible. The world design, the gameplay, the wonderful story. It's all bundled up brilliantly together in a tight package.

• And my obligatory list:

1. God of War
    2. Red Dead Redemption 2
    3. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
    4. The Walking Dead: The Final Season
      HM: Kingdom Come: Deliverence
      HM: Dragonball FighterZ
      HM: Forza Horizon 4
      HM: Spyro Reignited Trilogy

• A superb Top3 in 2018. Red Dead was unbeatable in my book, an unprecedented journey with Arthur Morgan. The immersion! And how the game became so much more with the way it formed the bigger picture together with the first game. Simply astonishing.

God of War is a worthy winner as well, though. The game's a ten, and I've been thinking to replay it soon this spring. To see everything in a new light now.

• Global Moderator

I didnt play Red Dead or Spiderman yet. Still I "feel" like GoW would of still have been my number 1 pick. It was one of those games that really stuck with me and I still think about now and then so much later. I really cant wait for the sequel to come out. I know a lot of people think the game just feels like a build up to the next game, but I still enjoyed the world, music and characters so much. Maybe its my Scandinavian upbringing or just enjoying reading about the norse mythology that made me jump with joy when a new character got introduced.

• I just had a look at last years GOTY, Persona 5 won with 122 vs Horizon 72 points. So far I have never voted for the GOTY winner.

• Full Disclosure: I never played Red Dead Redemption 2.

But here's why. Like many others, I grew up with the Rockstar craze that exploded with GTA III and played tons of that game in my youth when it was a cultural phenomenon, as well as Vice City and San Andreas, developing a fondness for Rockstar many of us seem to share. However I completely missed the boat on the first Red Dead Redemption, (as well as Red Dead Revolver, which few seem to care about) and only finally experienced that game through Brandon Jones' amazing, relaxing late night streams of it.

When Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced, I thought for sure I'm going to buy and play that game. Looked right up my alley exploring that beautiful wilderness, and I couldn't wait to get immersed among all the fleshed out characters. The only thing I was waiting for was to see Jones, who got me into the first, to do a stream of the beginning of the game just to make sure I still liked how it looked before slapping my dollars down. Hype at this point in time around release was at a fever pitch. But then, this never happened.

Word started to trickle out of people's complaints about the controls of the game, how most missions just devolve into shootouts, how some systems seemed kind of pointless and so obscure you can't tell if you're making a difference as a player, and even the story seemed to not hit lots of people as much as Jones had hyped it. In particular, one mission about getting drunk in a bar seemed to be getting lots of praise, and eventually that cowboy Brandon Jones did indeed finally have a stream. He skipped the whole beginning of the game, which I heard was very slow and tutorial heavy, straight to this hyped up mission, so of course I watched along to see what all the fuss was. And... it was alright. Just alright. No big drama. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Maybe I needed the context of the characters and the beginning of the game, but this is how it was presented to me, and it completely sapped my wealth of interest in this game. At the same time, I was watching the newest season of South Park with a friend, and for whatever reason among multiple episodes of that they kept spoiling plot points of Red Dead Redemption 2, so by then I was sure I was never going to play this game. 2018 was stacked anyways, so I wasn't very broken up about it. Just a mild shrug of disappointment, wondering if things would've been different if Jones had dedicated the time to streaming this game he talks so passionately about in full week by week, but when the biggest fan of this game didn't choose to make the time to do that, then it reassures me that maybe this game was simply overhyped around launch. Either way, with how quickly talk surrounding this flash in the pan dropped off, I'll be fine never knowing.

• Top 2 was pretty much what I expected in that order. Knew gameplay and other things would be against RDR2. As to why I don't play their games is simply they never made me care about their characters and I'm not really into open world games unless there a good hook to pull me in. I like watching westerns but playing them is another matter and even if they improved many things, it would still not make me play them.
    I played GoW and liked it but not as much as others that I played.
    Shoutout to Megaman 11. Didn't make the cut but still a good return of the franchise that has been dormant.

• Good for GOW, though it like Spiderman, I have absolutely no interest in playing, though Im sure its a good game

• @axel
    I'm gonna reccomend the odd one out for most Westerns
    Youtube Video

• @dmcmaster hahaha. Haven't seen that movie. Putting on my list.

• I am so happy that God of War won. What an achievement in entertainment that game is.
    I fell in love with the series many moons ago with the very first entry on PS2. At the time I was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy who thought the GameCube was the absolute tits, but my older brother was more of a PlayStation guy, and he wouldn't stop gushing about God of War whenever we talked about videogames. He was working a lot, so he actually just straight up let me have his PS2 for a while, of course including God of War... and also 24: The Game (he was a really big Jack Bauer fan).

To preface the part where I actually talk about the game, I should probably talk a little bit about my dad. He was a teacher, and growing up he would always tell me myths and legends from around the world. My favorites were always the ones about Greek God's and warriors, since they were always these epic, fantastical tales about chariots dragging the sun across the sky or Lords of the underworld falling in love with beautiful maiden or Hercules just being a colossal fucking asshole to literally everyone like holy shit dude chill.

Anyway, I fell in love with the game right away. Fighting skeleton warriors amongst the ruined ships as I madey way towards to Hydra, docking in Athens and killing my way to the Oracle, slaying mythical beasts along the way... it was amazing.

Fast forward to E3 2016. I've played every single God of War game to date (even the shitty phone game) and loved them all (okay maybe not the shitty phone game, and Ascension was kinda meh too I guess) and the trailer for God of War (2018) is revealed. I actually teared up a little the first time Kratos stepped out from the shadows and told Atreus to show him what he had learned. That entire E3 presentation was on a whole 'nutha level, but that first trailer really stood out to me.

Fast forward a few more years to the games release, which just sl happened to be around the same time that my son was born. I didn't have a tremendous amount of game time because of this, but any I did I gave to GoW.
    Much like how The Last Guardian had felt extra special because we had just got a dog (GOT-DAYM do they accurately capture the mannerisms of a loyal pet in that game) God of War hit me extra hard because of this wonderful new thing in my life. I felt genuine concern for Atreus, which is something I have felt for very few characters in videogames over my long career as a gamer.

I straight up bawled at the end of that game. I was emotionally exhausted from the journey to the highest peak in the realms, and felt that I had actually learned something about being a father from a fucking videogame.

Ten out of ten. A true masterpiece of entertainment in any form, especially videogames. I honestly can't even begin to fathom how they will one up this game with the sequel.

• I gave my thoughts on GoW in its thread. It was ... Ok, but not remotely memorable for me. RDR I dropped for now because it truly is one of the biggest culprits I've played where the push for realism sucks out all the fun

My List:

Xenoblade 2: Torna
    Shining Force Refrain
    Octopath Traveller
    Yakuza 2 Kiwami

Detroit
    Overcooked 2
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Dragon Quest XI

• Another year another BLOWOUT GOTY!

God of War isn’t even the best God of War game in my opinion but I want to go back and play it again. It’s still a lot better than most games you’ll play this generation.

RDR2 was way too formulaic for me. I watched my roommate play it over the course of a month and parts of the game hurt my brain.

Here is the main difference for me: in RDR2, while on a mission, any and all characters with you will absolutely chat your head off saying nothing of any significance. To make it worse, there is always one character who is completely unhinged like Nicholas Cage in Mandy which we have seen in 100% of Rockstar games that I can remember. I’m very tired of this meaningless dialogue that is nothing more than noise in your ear.

Whereas, God of War only uses dialogue when it’s necessary. Kratos trains his boy to be a strong warrior and therefore, they are as focused as possible and discussions are relegated to boat rides. The writing is with so much more intent here. RDR2 feels aimless.

MY TOP 4

1. Yakuza 6
    2. God of War
    3. The Missing
    4. Yakuza Kiwami 2

Honourable Mentions

• Forza Horizon 4
    • Monster Hunter World
    • Bloodstained Curse of the Moon
    • Shadow of the Colossus

Thank you @Axel for another fun GOTY poll

• @mbun i find a lot of the”missions devolve into shootouts “ to be a big farce. Mission variety is there! And even the shootout when they do happen feel way different from each other

• @bigdude1

Couldn’t disagree more. RDR2 follows the same forumula as other Rockstar games where you lock on and shoot shoot shoot.

I don’t understand why Rockstar gets a free pass for this. Destiny, The Division, Call of Duty single player, and more, are all games that follow this shoot shoot shoot formula and it rarely feels fun to me. RDR2 tried to contextualize it better but I still feel like I’m just locking on and shooting for hours on end.

With that said, I love Yakuza which has brawls brawls brawls, but I personally get excited from the minute to minute gameplay. There are plenty of oof various weapons laying around, the heat meter mixed with different environments lead to different finishers. One second you’re fighting in a burger shop, whipping criminal scum through windows, and the next you’re in an underground fighting arena.

Not to use my own argument against myself, but I can at least get on-board with repetitive fighting if it’s consistantly fun. I just don’t feel like shootouts in different ranches, or different city streets is a good variety. It all feels so similar.

JUST MY OPINION. To each their own.

• Since we're dropping lists:

Top 4:

#1: God of War
    This one was weird for me, because I'm more into Prince of Persia than the old GoW games, but I could tell this entry was going to be different tonally, and in rare fashion there's zero complaints I can levee against this after finishing it. Loved it from start to finish. They absolutely nailed the journey they were going for, the dialogue between characters was a joy to listen to, and I had lots of fun "moments" with the combat system. Then again, maybe I'm just a sucker for axes.

#2: Astro Bot Rescue Mission
    As a lover of platformers, this is the kind of game that makes me sweat, because if people start making other platformer games as good as this, then I'm going to have to buy my own VR set, and I totally can't afford one. Even though God of War was a more incredible package overall, in my head I think Astro Bot was the most "important" game of last year, hence earning this spot.

#3: Onrush
    I gladly threw my threespot in the garbage for this game knowing it wouldn't make the list, because what happened around this game and the developers of this game was nothing less than a tragedy. I don't play racing games much anymore, because all the ones I enjoyed when I was younger were the more arcade style racing games like Cruis'n and Rush you don't see a ton of big budget attempts at anymore. Onrush nailed what I wanted from a modern arcade racing game. So much fun with so many ways to play that was always blood pumping exciting with the music kicking in and the visual eyecandy of the carnage happening around you as the tracks zoom by. Endless fun with minimal downtime that always keeps you engaged, and I can't believe everyone scoffing at the price and letting it just die. Onrush, you were truly too good, too pure for this world. I'm going to miss you. Shout out to all the devs who poured your heart and soul into the game. It wasn't unnoticed.

#4: Into the Breach
    For awhile, this one was my GOTY. I cooled down a little on it, but not before 100%ing the game. It was more going back to the devs' previous game, FTL, that made me reevaluate Into the Breach. While I still love this game to little pieces and am begging for an expansion, paid or otherwise, I think how scaled down and safe they went with Into the Breach makes it feel a little less special to me. That said, it is still a beautiful entry point for anyone interested in the strategy genre, and this little game has lots to give if you dig in and try different squads with different loadouts and really play around. Love the thought put into this title, not just being about beating the enemy, but making the player simultaneously focus on protecting the civilians, even if that means putting themselves in danger at times to achieve this. That plus the background lore for each pilot nicely meshes together into a cool setting for a game about giant robots fighting giant monsters, not that you needed another reason to enjoy that kind of thing.

Honorable mentions:

#5: Wandersong
    Celeste was an important game to many people last year, and while I think it is a sick speedrun game with some of the best music of 2018, a small part of me resents how it has funneled attention away from some other amazing indie titles that also chose to deal with human emotion in slightly less confrontationally overbearing ways. Wandersong is a surprisingly long game in which you play as a jolly bard who's only good at singing as he sets out to prove his worth and make the world a better place with his extremely limited skillset. The gameplay is like nothing I've ever played in any other game before. Can only describe it as "playful". Found myself smiling through the majority of the game at all the unexpected moments, the refreshing gameplay ideas, and dumb amusing ways you can have your own fun as you bard your way along with the power of positivity.

#6: Sea of Thieves
    I get it. People have decided to hate this game forever. To me, it is still a super chill pirating experience that no other game has delivered on that has a perfect base established to grow from. This game is everything the devs promised it would be, and they never said it would be anymore than that. Super fun to hop back into every now and then solo or with friends and sail the seas pursuing pirate hijinks. Plus the water is 10/10, and damn this game is so cozy at night on a ship with how dark it gets and the sounds. Perfect for playing before bed. You can play it for very little money thanks to Game Pass, so I really don't get why people are so harsh on this one.

#7: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
    Looking through this topic, everyone forgot this game came out last year. (Except DIPSET, who just listed it as I'm writing this. Shout out!) Least that's the narrative I want to believe, because how in the hell did you people not vote for this game?! This is the perfect classic boiled down Castlevania platformer experience distilled and improved for today. The game's style looks great and is always fair in difficulty. It lets you play different ways that lead to completely different experiences and endings. They included a boss rush as well as a true ending, so there's tons of replay value. This game has everything you could want in such a cheap package, and this was merely a bonus thing stemming of another game that I'm almost sure I won't enjoy as much as I enjoyed this one. If you didn't play this last year, I can't recommend it enough. I'm grinding my teeth in frustration that I seem to be the only one (besides DIPSET) who voted for this. Mbun will remember this.

#8: Kirby Star Allies
    I get Kirby isn't that beloved around these parts, but hear me out for a little. I actually really didn't like this game at launch. 30 FPS, pretty short, the combo powers are lame compared to Kirby 64, and a whole list of other nitpicks I have make me think this is just kind of a weird transitional game as the Kirby team got used to making games in HD for the first time and doesn't have a ton to offer.

That wasn't the end of Star Allies though. This game was updated throughout the year with character based free DLC called Dream Friends. These are akin to new Fighters in Smash Ultimate that you can use throughout this game. That might be a lofty comparison, but I specifically use it, because these are not throwaway characters with 1 or 2 new moves who feel like clones of something already in the game. These Dream Friends are fully fleshed out pivotal characters from the rich history of Kirby's past games, many characters we've never gotten to directly play as before, fully realized with sick custom movesets of their own that sometimes border on brokenly good. You get to brawl your way through this entire game as almost every Kirby character you've ever wanted to play with.

The level of dedication to fanservice, to honoring Kirby's dense past as he jumps to HD and looks forward to evolving for the future put in this game to reward all the long time fans of the franchise, all for free, is just the exact ideal you wish every franchise you cared about would one day achieve. It goes beyond the Dream Friends to also recreating stages of games they're from in the style of Star Allies, remixing music, including rare easter eggs you can encounter involving Kirby's history, etc. and so on. They also tacked on a post-game free DLC bonus campaign that specifically highlights all the cool stuff you can do with all the Dream Friends and remixes bosses into new more difficult versions.

They didn't have to do any of this, but so much effort and love was poured into this game post launch, without asking for anything in return, that even in a year as stacked as 2018 I had to make room on my list to at least give a small nod to such an incredible wholesome effort being made solely for the sake of making fans happy. All the kudos in the world to the Star Allies team for the warm fuzzy nostalgia blanket, for creating such an absolute culmination to honor the legacy as Kirby looks forward to the future, caringly passed to a new generation.

• My top 8 list for 2018. Shoutout to Spyro Reignited trilogy and Return of the Obra Dinn who didn't make my list.

1. God of War
    There isn't much to say about this game other than it's just perfect. The combat felt satisfying compared to the other entries. The story got me hooked from beginning to end, I can't wait for the sequel! The only minor complaint would be they could have done the lore a bit better, sometimes there were just 1-2 sentences about beastiary and locations.

2. Yakuza Kiwami 2
    Got introduced to the franchise last year and I still love Yakuza, it's probably my favorite game series of all time. Personally I preferred Kiwami 2 more than 6, they improved the gameplay from 6, the story is up there along with 0, I love the characters that got introduced in the game and Kiwami 2 has some of my favorite substories. I was considering to put this game my personal GOTY until I realized my biggest complaints, while I'd fun with some minigames, some of them was just terrible. The karoke lineup in this game had the weakest lineup of all games, maybe the devs are just tired of karaoke because it's not in their recent game. The bouncer missions were tedious as hell and I'm still not a fan of clan creator, despite having the best song ever .

3. Dragon Quest XI
    Compared to last year, this year was pretty weak for JRPGs, I know some titles came out on Switch, but I still need a reason to buy one. Dragon Quest XI filled that void. Great jolly oldschool JRPG and the story and the characters had me engaged. Only downside is as many people mentioned, the MIDI soundtrack.

4. Monster Hunter: World
    This game is the most fun I had with a multiplayer in ages, I played it regularly for a while, but sadly I stopped because of new releases. I can't wait to get back to it for the upcoming expansion. My only complaint is the story could have been better.

Honorable mentions

Valkyria Chronicles 4
    As mentioned earlier, Valkyria Chronicles has one of the best war stories out there. The story and characters in VC4 are amazing, the gameplay is so satisfying. I've seen people complaining about it's too similar to 1, but I don't mind it at all because this is just how VC is supposed to be, I'm looking at you Revolution!

Yakuza 6
    We got two Yakuza games this year and both of them are in top 10 on this list, I'm so proud of this community. While I enjoyed Yakuza Kiwami 2 more, I still enjoyed Yakuza 6. The story was pretty solid. Onomichi, such a cozy town to roam around in!

Red Dead Redemption 2
    Okay, this game is good and I'd fun with it, but it's in HM for me because it's not my kind of game. People complained about the controls, but I didn't mind them. My biggest issue was some of the gameplay mechanics. I understand most of them are for realistic immersion, but it just got tedious in the longrun. I also lost interest at the second half of the story. The first half and epilogue saved the game for me so it gets an easy pass.

Marvel's Spider-Man
    I had fun with this game, the story was good, the combat and traversal was fun. However, the sidequests were just mediocre and the open world activities are just bland that reminds me too much of the Ubisoft formula, but hey, that kind of gameplay works.

• @dipset i mean eventally u have shootouts but thats far from the only thing in the campaign, not to mention all the side missions

• Destiny has been slighted in this thread, and so I will no go into defense mode and commenced a longwinded post about why Destiny 2 Forsaken is actually an amazing game and I legit would have put it in my top 4 in this thread had it been eligible.

Destiny 2 is a fucking fantastic game. I totally understand the hate it gets from the horrible launch and pretty egregious DLC practices, but I honestly haven't put this much time into a loot grinder since Diablo 3 hit v1.6.

You can be reductive and say all you do in Destiny is 'shoot shoot shoot' and to be honest you would be kind of right since you can do that and still get quite a bit out of the game.
    For people who want something a bit deeper, it is there, and it is honestly more there than most MMOs. There are exotic quest threads in D2 that can only be solved by figuring out complex riddles than can only be solved by diving into the lore of the game, reading item descriptions, finding hidden areas, completing obtuse objectives... straight up Souls type shit up in a bitch.
    Strikes are all well and dandy, but if you want to be successful in the Raids in Deesty, you better be prepared to do some complex mental math. One of the raids has been out for months and people are still finding secrets about it... and this isn't counting that upon the world first completion of said raid, an entirely new zone was opened up for every player in the game
    I'll also say it has one of the fairest economies in a game I've ever played. Exotics can be purchased every weekend from a vendor by using shards you get from scrapping high level items. All items in the game's real money store can be earned through normal play. Materials you need for upgrading can be purchased from a vendor using other materials, and what can be traded for what is changed every other day so one thing is not more important or valuable than the rest.

Tl;dr Destiny 2 is amazing. Fight me.