The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• @dipset i mean eventally u have shootouts but thats far from the only thing in the campaign, not to mention all the side missions

• Destiny has been slighted in this thread, and so I will no go into defense mode and commenced a longwinded post about why Destiny 2 Forsaken is actually an amazing game and I legit would have put it in my top 4 in this thread had it been eligible.

Destiny 2 is a fucking fantastic game. I totally understand the hate it gets from the horrible launch and pretty egregious DLC practices, but I honestly haven't put this much time into a loot grinder since Diablo 3 hit v1.6.

You can be reductive and say all you do in Destiny is 'shoot shoot shoot' and to be honest you would be kind of right since you can do that and still get quite a bit out of the game.
    For people who want something a bit deeper, it is there, and it is honestly more there than most MMOs. There are exotic quest threads in D2 that can only be solved by figuring out complex riddles than can only be solved by diving into the lore of the game, reading item descriptions, finding hidden areas, completing obtuse objectives... straight up Souls type shit up in a bitch.
    Strikes are all well and dandy, but if you want to be successful in the Raids in Deesty, you better be prepared to do some complex mental math. One of the raids has been out for months and people are still finding secrets about it... and this isn't counting that upon the world first completion of said raid, an entirely new zone was opened up for every player in the game
    I'll also say it has one of the fairest economies in a game I've ever played. Exotics can be purchased every weekend from a vendor by using shards you get from scrapping high level items. All items in the game's real money store can be earned through normal play. Materials you need for upgrading can be purchased from a vendor using other materials, and what can be traded for what is changed every other day so one thing is not more important or valuable than the rest.

Tl;dr Destiny 2 is amazing. Fight me.

• @mbun said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

how most missions just devolve into shootouts,

This just isn't true. RDR2 has tonnes of mission variety, with many missions where you never pull out any kind of firearm.

Besides the fact, describing any mission where you do use firearms in this way is just being reductionist. Criticising RDR2, a western videogame, for having a lot of shootouts is like criticising Megaman for being mostly jumping and shooting, or how Metal Gear Solid has too many stealth sections. Red Dead Redemption 2, like almost all other games of its calibre, is greater than the sum of its parts.

• @bigdude1 @Hazz3r I haven't played it or even seen much of it personally, so just going off of complaints I heard postlaunch. Still inclined to believe there's some merit to the complaint when there's disagreement over it within this very limited topic.

@El-Shmiablo I hate Destiny, but the raid stuff is pretty cool. Reminds me of Everquest stuff, or I guess just any MMO before WoW ruined MMOs by standardizing them all stuff. Probably resembles MMO stuff since the game stealth is an MMO pretending to be a console shooter. Also, the economy better be fucking fair with how they grill you with DLC prices on the regular. I don't foresee Anthem being any better though, so Destiny can be king of the "tricks you into playing an MMO" ring if that makes you feel better.

1. Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
    2. Pokémon: Let's Go
    3. Mega Man 11
    4. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
      HM. Red Dead Redemption II
      HM. Yoku's Island Express
      HM. Dead Cells
      HM. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna

I've been playing more Red Dead since I made my list and I think it would be number 3 or higher now. It's getting better and better.

I'm really surprised Dead Cells didn't make the top 25.

• Congrats to God of War. It was a distant 3rd place in my rankings, but I cannot deny the astounding work that was put into this game. It's by far the best in its franchise and that is truly impressive.

1. Celeste
    2. Dragon Quest XI
    3. God of War
    4. Monster Hunter World

• @el-shmiablo the mobile game isn't shitty

• My top 3 were the same as this list's top 3, but they moved around all the time up until the voting deadline. All three were games I adored, and that I was obsessed for a month or so around their releases. For someone who has a terrible tendency to not finish games, the fact that I finished those three was surprising. I knew I would finish Spider-Man since I love comic books and Insomniac games, but GoW and RDR2 were huge surprises since I didn't care for their previous games.
    God of War basically took my number 1 based on the fact that I used to HATE Kratos, and by the end of that game I didn't. Add to that an interesting story and fun combat, and it just beat out RDR2.

My list though was:

1. God of War
    2. RDR2
    3. Spider-Man
    4. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    5. Let's Go Eevee
    6. Tetris Effect
    7. Celeste
    8. Smash Bros Ultimate

• @mbun there really isnt. theres a lot of "hey lets go hunting" or "hey lets burn down this farm" even the shootouts are more intricate than what he is describing. there are times where you are sniping off of a ledge, a stealth segment, overall tons of varied missions. there is a Basically its not a genuine complaint. the biggest actual complaint i hear is how structured the missions are. compared to Botw or mgsv you dont have as much freedom in how you choose to go about the missions.

• Boom! What a landslide!

Here's my recap:

• God of War is the most unanimous GOTY winner we've ever had, with 124 points and 18 GOTY votes (out of 45 voters)! Persona 5 was the record holder with 122 points from 54 voters, so no contest. God of War was GOTY for 8 of the first 10 lists I received, two thirds of the voters gave it at least a point, it's 55 points ahead of second place, I could keep going with the stats. God of War, take a bow!
    • It was such a crazy race between Red Dead Redemption 2 and Marvel's Spider-Man for second place. Spidey had it for most of the run but the very last list I received edged Red Dead above it, much to my dismay. Given it had 6 GOTY votes against 1 for Spider-Man, I'd say it's fair anyway. Goes to show that every vote counts!
    • 5 games from the Top 10 are from Japanese developers, as is tradition.
    • 2 Yakuza games in the Top 10. It's surprisingly not the first time we get 2 games of the same series both rank that high, we had 2 Danganronpa titles in the Top 10 of 2014!
    • Assassin's Creed Odyssey ranked unusually high for the series with #7. Given how little love the series has received from these nominations in the past, that's quite an achievement.
    • Top indie game is Return of the Obra Dinn at #10, congrats! It's also the only PC exclusive.
    • 7 PlayStation 4 exclusives, including a PS VR exclusive with Astro Bot Rescue Mission, 2 of those in the top 3.
    • PlayStation 4 won GOTY for 3 years in a row now (Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Persona 5, God of War), they sure got something going!
    • 4 Switch exclusives, same as last year, but with the highest in 5th place it didn't soar quite as high as for its debut. No doubt this year with Metroid Prime 4 it will... wait... :(
    • 1 Xbox One (+PC) exclusive, Forza Horizon 4.
    • Now, who are the biggest losers? Shadow of the Colossus scored 7 points, same as Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, but lost its spot due to lower "highest vote". It was the only game I played last year and actively disliked, so fine by me!
    • 6 points: Dragon Ball FighterZ, Hitman 2, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise.
    • 5 points: The Banner Saga 3, Subnautica, Metal Gear Survive, Dead Cells, Beat Saber, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, 428: Shibuya Scramble.
    • 4 points: Onrush, Black Bird, Shining Resonance Refrain, Azur Lane, Mega Man 11, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, SoulCalibur VI, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 76, Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales.
    • 3 points: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, The Council, All Our Asias, Battlefield V, Pro Evolution Soccer 2019, Sea of Thieves.
    • 2 points: The Walking Dead: The Final Season, Part Time UFO, Yoku's Island Express, Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!, The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, Donut County.
    • 1 point: Wandersong, Kirby Star Allies, State of Mind, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Football Manager 2019, Overcooked 2, Florence, Black Desert Remastered, GRIS, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight, Super Mario Party, Full Metal Furies, WWE 2K19, Pit People.
    • 0 point: The Quiet Man.

I've played (and completed!) 9 out of these 25 games. The ones I'm hoping to play in the future: Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden.

Thanks again to everyone who participated and voted with your hearts! I love making those and feel like we always end up with a great representation of most people's tastes.

Now time for the intense battle for GOTY 2019 between Yoshi's Crafted World and Biomutant!

• "0 point: The Quiet Man"

You just had to do it to him.

• Dragon Ball FighterZ with only 6 points :(

• @axel thank you for doing this.

• @axel Fallout 76 is in nice company. Ben would be proud.

• Oh shit, did I make Red Dead get second with my last second change @Axel ?

I expected to be the only votes for Black Ops 4 but very surprised about The Walking Dead and how few votes there were for FighterZ. Ahh well.

Thanks again Axel, looking forward to the retro list in July-ish time!

• I think next year I'm going to vote for games I think deserve the recognition as opposed to my favorite games of the year. Still sad that OnRush didn't make the list.

Also I hope the person who voted for Metal Gear Survive realizes that a special ring of hell awaits them

• @axel said:

4 points: Onrush, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

I'm responsible for 3/4 of those Onrush points lol I wonder who else besides DIPSET and I voted for Bloodstained. I still can't believe that scored so low.

3 points: Sea of Thieves

Yooooo someone else voted Sea of Thieves? Potentially TWO others? (๑>ᴗ<๑)

1 point: Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

One of those tough cuts. Glad someone recognized it.

Now time for the intense battle for GOTY 2019 between Yoshi's Crafted World and Biomutant!

You joke, but if Crafted World is as good as it looks from event previews, expect it on my list at the end of the year. Haven't been keeping up with Biomutant, but that looked pretty cool too aside from the noticeable jank.

Since nobody voted for it, one last 2018 shoutout to Save me Mr Tako. Never got around to playing it, but looks like a really fun Kirby-like indie title that I believe I heard was made by one person.

• @el-shmiablo I've asked about rules on strategic voting and was advised to don't do so. Yes, some games that deserves recognition don't make into our Top 25. But this community decided that 73 games deserves recognition, so most of them are left behind. Also imagine everyone not voting for God of War because "it will win anyway".

• By the way, thank you to those who voted for The Banner Saga 3 and Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales. I feel that such games almost always miss their GotYs because most players play them next year or later. (I just finished Divinity: Original Sin 2 and ready to vote for it, but I'm 2 years late.)

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

Also imagine everyone not voting for God of War because "it will win anyway".

Yes that's what I would hate to happen.

I really think it's better if everyone votes with their heart, but obviously I'm not in your head, if somebody decides to make a strategic vote I won't know so I can't stop you.

Personally I left Smash out this time and gave an honorable mention to Yoku's Island Express, because I wanted to reward originality. But I wouldn't have put Yoku as my GOTY just to give it a chance to show in the final rankings. If nobody else but me votes for it, then it just means it shouldn't be there.

We can still give shout-outs to any game we want once it's all over!