The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• I’ve finished this 4-5 hour game and during this time I broke 3 puzzles (they became unsolvable) by playing normally (I wasn’t trying to break them). And there is no option in the menu to restart from the checkpoint, you have to exit the game and load again. Also checkpoints sometimes are placed in bad places and many times I was forced to redo entire puzzle only because I’ve died in the next one. I get what Ian said about story getting a boost from the gameplay, but for me gameplay was distractingly bad.

If there are games that are better to watch rather than play, The Missing is one of them.

P.S. Story is not for me, but I see that it’s great.

• I was told that the hipsters games ended.

• @brannox understandable the game clearly has issues that can alienate people away, the problem is that it is the kind of media that wouldn't be effective with a synopsis, it simply wouldn't carry the weight of what it's story intends, which is something that I feel very few games excel at(Papers Please, Nier, Spec Ops), and which make for some of the most interesting and at least personally impactfull experiences in gaming, hence why I don't like the suggestion of something that could be experienced through a synopsis.

• @bard91 I concur if stated as a general recommendation (which upon rereading my comment, I can see how it reads that way, and I assure that was NOT my intention. I was strictly speaking from a personal perspective, of which I will rectify upon the completion of this response) for the very reason you just provided.

In my case, while I recognize the full impact, depth, and meaning behind such games are best experienced as intended, I find it's better for me to at least get some meaning about a story from a neutral place (a.k.a. not playing it) as opposed to getting an improper take on the material from a negative one (a.k.a. being frustrated in the gameplay, thus running the risk of unfairly judging a part of the game in an unnecessarily negative skew).

• Weirdly, I might be the only person not to have issues with the controls for this one. They're very simple, and I felt your limitations in movement were easy to understand and deal with. The puzzle elements were pretty straightforward, but what sold it to me was the way the story was presented. I had a pretty decent idea of the themes early on, but the slow reveal of you position in the narrative made it intriguing to unravel.

That, and I'm a sucker for esoteric story telling styles told through bizarre imagery. :D

• The Missing is one of my favourite games in a long time. It is the most memorable game I've played since INSIDE so if you like INSIDE then play The Missing. I had my roommates gripped - glued to the TV. We beat the game in one sitting and it felt like a really emotional ride. The puzzles are fun, the audio is squishy and crunchy, the imagery is very disturbing, and the atmosphere has you confused but gives you enough to make you think you're following along. Tasteful twists and tasteful subject matter put it waaaaay above other games that have similar themes (i.e. Celeste).

DO NOT PLAY IT ON NINTENDO SWITCH! Get it on PC or PS4, the frame rate chops and chugs for no apparent reason on Switch and it has some really weird progression glitches that forced me to quit and replay one level from the start.

• I also want to add, the game isn't really janky at all despite the frame rate issues on Switch. A huge part of the game is dismembering yourself and the player speed changes based on how mutilated you are.

The control is truly 1:1. I can advocate for it based on one section where you are only a tiny brain stem in a tight platforming scene that requires perfection or you'll die. In a full body, your speed, jump, and control is akin to INSIDE whereas when you are dismembered entirely, your speed, jump, and control is closer to a game like Super Meat Boy. I never had any issues with the speed, control, input/output in these precision based scenes. Only janky part is the very last sequence of the game having bad checkpoints and the jumping doesn't work great in a chase scene with a bad frame rate.

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance

#21. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 9 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Guthwulf)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 4 (Shoulderguy, Hazz3r, bam541, Faaip)

Information

Release date: February 13 [US/EU]
    Developer: Warhorse Studios
    Publisher: Deep Silver
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I simply do not have the time, the interest is there for sure but that's as far as it will get.

• @bard91
    Hell I played a bit of Kingdom Come, I enjoyed it but considering how long it took to get a grasp on basic combat, I could like already see it being a massive time sink before I can even learn to read in it.

• The last three games all being 9 point spreads in different configurations is pretty interesting. Shows just how much power your GOTY vote can have for how less popular games end up ranked. Tempting to hype boost stuff next year instead of remaining honest, just to make sure your favorites get decent recognition, but then having to own up to your votes also helps keep people somewhat honest. Reminds me of how Hall of Greats can also be gamed, but none of the allies seem to ever risk going for it, so we just end up with the "obvious choices" winning by landslide votes most of the time.

• Over the course of the year, I only heard about the game in only a cursory fashion, so when I saw it posted here I wanted to look it up to see what it's all about. It looks very good graphically but I don't find the time period appealing. However, I think the best thing about this game is being in first-person, because as I'm typing this, very few first person games take place with this kind of setting. Kingdom Come has potential to be the first thing that comes to mind when asking the question "Name a 'modern' first-person game in the medieval times."

• @brannox That time period is largely why the game ended up getting shunned and buried too. People are not a fan of historical accuracy when it upholds awful things from the past.

• I bought this game first day. I was super hyped. Sadly I just couldn't get through it. It is just so damn janky, like super janky. The combat is bad, there were a number of bad glitches at launch, and the VO isn't particularly good either. Suffice to say I was disappointed.

• @capnbobamous
    I wouldn't say the combat is janky, but it certainly takes some getting used to, well a lot of getting used to.

• @brannox Their original pitch was "Dungeons without Dragons", so they've always tried to make this time period and historical accuracy one of their big selling points. Whether that worked out or not is another question :)

I backed the game on Kickstarter so got it day one but still haven't played it, I waited for the dust to settle and patches to arrive as it had tons of bugs at launch. It's currently the top priority in my backlog but with Resident Evil 2 coming out today and the crazy February and March lineups on the way, I don't know when I'll ever get to it.

• @axel Dungeons without Dragons eh?..... Well, I prefer my Dungeons WITH Dragons, so I guess that's another knock against it for me. X-)

But still, I applaud the effort to stick with the setting.

• I'm going to finish this game one day (can't rate it higher since i haven't finish it), it'll never leave my PS4 hard drive until said day. I already said my praises for this wonderful game before, so yeah. It's the ultimate (and jankiest) immersive RPG game.

• I was excited for this game until I saw the combat

• First personal GotY at #21. No doubt: 2018 had very diverse lineup of great games.