The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• @bard91
    Hell I played a bit of Kingdom Come, I enjoyed it but considering how long it took to get a grasp on basic combat, I could like already see it being a massive time sink before I can even learn to read in it.

• The last three games all being 9 point spreads in different configurations is pretty interesting. Shows just how much power your GOTY vote can have for how less popular games end up ranked. Tempting to hype boost stuff next year instead of remaining honest, just to make sure your favorites get decent recognition, but then having to own up to your votes also helps keep people somewhat honest. Reminds me of how Hall of Greats can also be gamed, but none of the allies seem to ever risk going for it, so we just end up with the "obvious choices" winning by landslide votes most of the time.

• Over the course of the year, I only heard about the game in only a cursory fashion, so when I saw it posted here I wanted to look it up to see what it's all about. It looks very good graphically but I don't find the time period appealing. However, I think the best thing about this game is being in first-person, because as I'm typing this, very few first person games take place with this kind of setting. Kingdom Come has potential to be the first thing that comes to mind when asking the question "Name a 'modern' first-person game in the medieval times."

• @brannox That time period is largely why the game ended up getting shunned and buried too. People are not a fan of historical accuracy when it upholds awful things from the past.

• I bought this game first day. I was super hyped. Sadly I just couldn't get through it. It is just so damn janky, like super janky. The combat is bad, there were a number of bad glitches at launch, and the VO isn't particularly good either. Suffice to say I was disappointed.

• @capnbobamous
    I wouldn't say the combat is janky, but it certainly takes some getting used to, well a lot of getting used to.

• @brannox Their original pitch was "Dungeons without Dragons", so they've always tried to make this time period and historical accuracy one of their big selling points. Whether that worked out or not is another question :)

I backed the game on Kickstarter so got it day one but still haven't played it, I waited for the dust to settle and patches to arrive as it had tons of bugs at launch. It's currently the top priority in my backlog but with Resident Evil 2 coming out today and the crazy February and March lineups on the way, I don't know when I'll ever get to it.

• @axel Dungeons without Dragons eh?..... Well, I prefer my Dungeons WITH Dragons, so I guess that's another knock against it for me. X-)

But still, I applaud the effort to stick with the setting.

• I'm going to finish this game one day (can't rate it higher since i haven't finish it), it'll never leave my PS4 hard drive until said day. I already said my praises for this wonderful game before, so yeah. It's the ultimate (and jankiest) immersive RPG game.

• I was excited for this game until I saw the combat

• First personal GotY at #21. No doubt: 2018 had very diverse lineup of great games.

• High Budget Eurojank is just wonderful on so many levels. There’s brilliance among the bugs; with the combat that you, the player, get better at; the great role playing elements, and the strong commitment to immersive sim. It reminds me a lot of The Witcher 1 in a way. I hope we see Kingdom Come again.

• I really like that games like KCD exist. It would propably be a bit too overwhelming for me, but I've read good things about it and seen other people nominate it for their GOTY on another forum I use.

That said, it's starting to seem that Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales didn't make it. I don't see it in the top20, as I've been pretty much the only one talking about it here with @ffff0. I hope that Witcher fans and gwent enthusiasts would play it. The story and dialogue quality is just as good as in W3 and the card battles are exciting as hell. I would've hoped that the Allies had nominated it for the Best Strategy Game or the Best Puzzle game, but none of them had played it at that point, sadly. I gave it 2 points, it was my #4.

• @sentinel-beach My experience with Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales was like this:

1. I enjoy The Witcher 3 and Gwent in it.
    2. I hear that they make standalone Gwent with single player campaign and want to play it.
    3. I receive an email about Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales and watch the trailer. I don't understand what is this game and decide to ignore it.
    4. I hear some positive things about this game, but keep ignoring it.
    5. After hearing another positive feedback I decide to play it.
    6. I can't stop playing it because I enjoy every aspect of this game.

I feel that many gamers have similar path with Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, but they stopped at step 3 or 4.

• @ffff0 This is why Shadow drops means failure most of the time.

• Global Moderator

I havent played Kingdom Come myself. I skipped out on release when I saw all the bugs and graphical issues (I know its better now). But I got a couple friends playing it and they constantly rave about it, like its the best invention since preslized bread. It kinda puts me off it even more, in a funny way.

• I'm just posting to say that this is such a jolly way to reveal the list. The microdiscussions about each game between every reveal just make me happy.
    Looking forward to discussing my picks in a few days because I'm a basic ass bitch who picked the obvious shit.

• I want to try this game but I don't have hours and hours to sink into a big boy cRPG. I do admire that they went for medieval without going medieval fantasy which I find can get boring easily if it doesn't have some sort of hook like, say, Demon's Souls.

Like I really truly do appreciate the historical fiction angle. Some of my favourite novels are well researched historical fiction where you can get an interesting story AND learn a lot too. I think video games could do this more often, but "historical" storytelling in games usually comes off as a fantastical mess like Nioh.

Also this...

0_1548433168379_Sony2006GenjiBanner.png

• @dipset I think I remember hearing that the new Total War game based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms will have an option for generals to have superpowers like the legends, or be more historically accurate and just fight normally.

• Nice, I'm glad Kingdom Come got some recognition. Its super ambitious and I think it did a lot of things really well. Its open world for example is one of the most beautiful and real feeling I've seen in a game like that.. it was a joy to explore and travel through it. I also love the armor and outfit customization and the combat is pretty cool once you get the hang of it. I appreciate that they really strove to represent the time period as authentically as possible. I think other similar open world rpgs could learn a lot from this game (looking at you elder scrolls)

That said it was pretty janky and at times felt like a chore. There was too much good stuff this year so it gets an honorable mention from me