The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• Global Moderator

Into the Breach is absolutely fantastic. It is the perfect commute game for me really. You can play a quick session or go to complete the full game, depending on the time you have.

What's awesome about it too is when you unlock a new unit and initially hate it, thinking this is rubbish... and about 3 rounds in, you begin to get an understanding on how the units work together and it's your new favourite set! Oh man... I loved this game.

• Back to back Strategy games to begin the list! Without repeating what I said for Mutant Year Zero, I WILL say Into the Breach was the one game in its genre I heard about the most, and behind Celeste, The Messenger and Dead Cells (I'm sure we'll get to all those a little later), this was always on the short list for what many considered for the Best Indie of 2018, which is why I'm a tiny bit surprised it didn't place top 20.

• I also loved Into the Breach, didn't play it as much as I would have liked, I only finished the game with the first squad and barely dabbled with the others, but I'll try to go back to it one day.

What's amazing about it is that every single round of every single battle feels like a puzzle. A puzzle which may not have a perfect solution, only a "least bad" one. You have to keep balancing short-term, mid-term and long-term decisions: is it worth taking damage this turn to protect this building? Should I kill this strong enemy while I have the chance or focus on the many weak ones as they might overwhelm me next turn?

What to kill, what to neutralize, what to protect, what to sacrifice... You are constantly making decisions, weighing pros and cons, and that's the essence of games right there. And even though you always know exactly what will happen whether you pick A or B, you may still struggle to choose sometimes.

If you have any interest in tactics, you've got to give that game a shot, it's one of the purest incarnations of its genre.

• I really hope we'll see a PS4 version this year (and for X1, too, for sure). Into the Breach looks like a game I'd be happy to learn to play.

• Obviously I love this game since I voted for it, and for awhile it was even my GOTY. Not normally the achievement hunting type, but Subset Games are so good at rewarding the player for going after the challenges with new toys to play with that I couldn't help myself. Was a pleasure to 100%.
    Into the Steam

For those who may have played FTL and are worried about this game likewise kicking their teeth in, it does still offer challenge, but it isn't nearly as unforgivably brutal and random. By that I mean the hardest difficulty of Into the Breach is probably still easier than the easiest of FTL, but that's not a bad thing. Most of what was removed was just painful RNG, and the devs built the enemy AI to be dumb bugs who purposely always offer the player decent, although not necessarily perfect strategic options.

This is in essence a game about time traveling mech pilots fighting giant kaiju to save as many timelines as possible. If that sounds cool to you, even if you're the type who normally gets overwhelmed by strategy games, give it a shot. Awhile after FTL's release Subset even pushed a massive free content update for owners that vastly expanded that game, and I'm really hoping we see the same for this one, solely because this game is fun so I'd love the excuse to play even more.

• Global Moderator

I really got to play into the breach.

• This would have been an honorable mention for me if only the year hadn't had so many games I enjoyed.
    It is a perfect Switch game.

• @iboshow lol

• Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee!

#23. Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #3: 1 (Guthwulf)
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (Inustar, Sazime)

Information

Release date: November 16 [US/EU]
    Developer: Game Freak
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• alt text

• @sabotagethetruth Hadn't seen that, pretty cool!

@iboshow And the hipster games end... right now!

Haven't played it, didn't want to burn myself out before the main event this year.

• I unfortunately hadn’t gotten to them until recently but I think I would have put Pokémon and Black Ops 4 in my HM.

• Such joy. Such jolliness.

• Ah, the Let's Go games! I'm pleasantly surprised how well it was received and while I dropped off after trying Gen 4, seeing improvements (and some personal ires) for the Kanto region really did the property good. With its success, I'm now awaiting Gen 8 to see what parallels (if any) there will be.

• @sabotagethetruth ok I still don't care about the games and I will never play them, but damn that is freaking cool.

Still hoping for a day we finally get a game that Pokemon deserves.

• @axel Red Dead 3 isn't one of the Top 25 games?

• @iboshow Are you calling Red Dead Redemption 2 a hipster game?

• @acardattack If you saw the mustache my Arthur was rocking, you'd think so too. :p

• @sabotagethetruth @Axel @bard91 It would be alot cooler if you could ride more than only 18 select Pokemon pulled from a dex of 153. That is about 12% of the total dex with me generously rounding up the decimal. If you want to go into unique, cool riding animations like the cherrypicked one above, the percentage is much, much lower as most are just your Trainer sitting on the Pokemon with your Partner Pokemon riding on your Trainer's hat. It is a great promotional selling point to see at first, but once you realize how sparse that content is in actuality then much less appealing.

Read more about how I and other long-term Pokemon fans think Let's Go is overrated if you're curious here.

• @mbun While I can appreciate a long term fans issues with the game, for me it was easy and accessible enough to get me into the world of Pokemon. It's just... like a fun, frivolous game that I could play for short sessions and not feel bad about not returning to for large periods of time.
    Also, Eevee sitting on my head is cute.