That's Not News!

• Podracing, but way cooler

Youtube Video

• There's a Japanese art exhibition called My Famicase, where graphic designers make original designs with the Famicom cartridge in mind. There's a bunch of really cool designs being shared, click on the hashtag if you want to see more.

• Google the world's largest richest search engine has just added a search function on Stadia.

• @paulmci27

We might be getting to the point in industrialization / capitalism, that private business—like developed governments—are now just becoming bureaucratic hellscapes where one department is woefully unaware of the preexisting and glaringly obvious work that exists in an adjacent department.

Kinda reminds me of how that game developer who was locked out of his company G-Suite and couldn't physically contact one single person at Google unless he furiously Tweeted at them.

• @dipset it's funny cause its true

• So I recently discovered r/cringe (I'm not a reddit user but I'm slowly starting to follow some pages) and somebody posted this ridiculous scene from Star Wars Episode VI:

Youtube Video

You know... the weird CGI song and dance at Jabba's Palace!

For one, I haven't seen EP VI in so long that I forgot about this. So imagine how shocked I was when I saw how ridiculously dated and bad that CGI is. I've always known these muffed up versions of the original trilogy because those are the DVDs I had. I had the OG "Star Wars" on VHS but I probably only watched that once and no idea where it is now.

So somebody posted on that clip about this project called: Project 4K77

0_1620102886173_2105da07-bf6b-4657-918b-79d2d753e6eb-image.png

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

I love how 4K77 is just a cleanup and slight colour correction and that's it. I never knew the BD version was so high fidelity in areas it isn't needed and so dark, shitty, sharp, and covered in purple. I honestly don't even wanna watch a film from 1977 that looks like it's from 2035.

This is so cool to me! My partner somehow has never seen Star Wars so now is the perfect time to download these restorations and watch the originals for the first time in my life. I'll probably go with the 1080p DNR version. However, I don't feel comfortable using Usenet or any news sites, so I'll pour over some torrent sites that I'm sure have these versions by now.

I highly encourage you all to check out the FAQ. These people are doing God's work.

• There's a new digital only gaming magazine called Funland, and it looks cool. I'm gonna check it out later and report back.

https://www.polygon.com/22412770/funland-indie-magazine-publication-print-itchio

• @DIPSET I've been following those fan restorations on and off for years. It's wonderful the lengths they've gone to.