That's Not News!

• Google the world's largest richest search engine has just added a search function on Stadia.

• @paulmci27

We might be getting to the point in industrialization / capitalism, that private business—like developed governments—are now just becoming bureaucratic hellscapes where one department is woefully unaware of the preexisting and glaringly obvious work that exists in an adjacent department.

Kinda reminds me of how that game developer who was locked out of his company G-Suite and couldn't physically contact one single person at Google unless he furiously Tweeted at them.

• @dipset it's funny cause its true

• So I recently discovered r/cringe (I'm not a reddit user but I'm slowly starting to follow some pages) and somebody posted this ridiculous scene from Star Wars Episode VI:

Youtube Video

You know... the weird CGI song and dance at Jabba's Palace!

For one, I haven't seen EP VI in so long that I forgot about this. So imagine how shocked I was when I saw how ridiculously dated and bad that CGI is. I've always known these muffed up versions of the original trilogy because those are the DVDs I had. I had the OG "Star Wars" on VHS but I probably only watched that once and no idea where it is now.

So somebody posted on that clip about this project called: Project 4K77

0_1620102886173_2105da07-bf6b-4657-918b-79d2d753e6eb-image.png

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

I love how 4K77 is just a cleanup and slight colour correction and that's it. I never knew the BD version was so high fidelity in areas it isn't needed and so dark, shitty, sharp, and covered in purple. I honestly don't even wanna watch a film from 1977 that looks like it's from 2035.

This is so cool to me! My partner somehow has never seen Star Wars so now is the perfect time to download these restorations and watch the originals for the first time in my life. I'll probably go with the 1080p DNR version. However, I don't feel comfortable using Usenet or any news sites, so I'll pour over some torrent sites that I'm sure have these versions by now.

I highly encourage you all to check out the FAQ. These people are doing God's work.

• There's a new digital only gaming magazine called Funland, and it looks cool. I'm gonna check it out later and report back.

https://www.polygon.com/22412770/funland-indie-magazine-publication-print-itchio

• @DIPSET I've been following those fan restorations on and off for years. It's wonderful the lengths they've gone to.

• It's a car fighting game... or a fighting car game?

• Achieving photorealism from game footage using AI. Honestly it looks almost like IRL 480p footage, it's really cool.

Youtube Video

• This is ending in a few days.

• Season 2 of one of the funniest shows I've ever seen is coming out next month.

• I never heard about this movie before, and now I really want to watch it. It looks so bonkers and unlike anything I've ever seen.

Youtube Video

• @bam541

It's a great movie.

I've been watching some old films recently upon recommendations and one I loved with Billy Wilder's "The Apartment" from 1960. Which is a comedy-drama also criticizing our capitalist society and how it strips us of our humanity.

It's not like I've made some sort of revolutionary discovery here, but we really are just living out the same shit, different day. When social commentary from movies 50-60 years ago still apply today like nothing has changed, it kinda makes me sad more than anything.

Still though, Playtime is great. I think I saw it on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

• @dipset said in That's Not News!:

Still though, Playtime is great. I think I saw it on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Ouch.

I'd like to see Playtime, but it was designed for 70mm projection, and very few theaters are equipped for that.

• @oscillator

I always get confused with 70mm film vs a 70mm lens. Cause the lens would be zoomed in more and I always have to think for a second why 70mm is "bigger" then I remember, oh yeah F-I-L-M.

I torrented a 4K reissue version online in like 2014 or 2015 and it looked fantastic quite honestly. The frame was filled out with no letterbox so I assume they put a lot of attention into recreating the vision. I'm sure things were cropped but it looked great is all I can say.

Also, can you even view Playtime on film anymore? I heard it was damaged or something and never even came to North America. At least a coworker told me that once but I'm maybe misremembering.

• @dipset said in That's Not News!:

@oscillator

I always get confused with 70mm film vs a 70mm lens. Cause the lens would be zoomed in more and I always have to think for a second why 70mm is "bigger" then I remember, oh yeah F-I-L-M.

I torrented a 4K reissue version online in like 2014 or 2015 and it looked fantastic quite honestly. The frame was filled out with no letterbox so I assume they put a lot of attention into recreating the vision. I'm sure things were cropped but it looked great is all I can say.

Also, can you even view Playtime on film anymore? I heard it was damaged or something and never even came to North America. At least a coworker told me that once but I'm maybe misremembering.

Yeah, it gets screened in 70mm (where available) fairly frequently. It was shown in the U.S. during its original 1970's run, but only in 35mm.

It was restored in 2002, partially photochemically, partially digital 4K:

https://www.in70mm.com/news/2004/playtime/uk/index.htm

That article also mentions that the negative was in an obsolete 1.75:1 aspect ratio, so nowadays it's shown slightly cropped on the top and bottom.

• Playtime is wonderful! It's so easy to be pessimistic when telling the kind of story that Playtime tells, but instead it's really quite hopeful. It's almost life-affirming, in a way. No matter how obtuse, and robotic, and grey the world gets, humanity will find love, compassion, and joy. One of my favorite films ever. It's on the Criterion Channel if you have it.

Was surprised to see Dunkey cover it, but I'm certainly not complaining. I like the idea of Dunkey of all people leading this 1967 French comedy to a new audience.