Astral Chain (Switch)

• Youtube Video

How about that!

Surprise announcement in today's Nintendo Direct.

From the official game description:

As part of a police special task force, it’s up to you to fight against mysterious, alien-like creatures who have invaded the world.

In the Ark, a multi-cultural city in the near future, disaster strikes when gates to another dimension suddenly appear! Dangerous creatures begin to emerge, attacking the people and polluting the land, and normal police forces are unable to compete with them. To stand up against these threats, a brand new, special police unit known as Neuron is formed.

Choose between two playable characters – one male, one female – on your adventure. The character you don’t choose also appears as your younger twin, and a fellow member of Neuron.

In order to resist the creatures, humanity developed a special weapon: the Legion. The Legion acts as your partner, and helps with your investigations. However, it’s in battle where the Legion shows its real ability...

Work together with the Legion and use all sorts of combat styles to fight your enemies. You could both attack the same enemy simultaneously, target different opponents, or send your Legion on the offensive while you support it with items. Use this synergetic action system to battle and explore together!

Making his directorial debut and known for his work as the game designer on NieR: Automata, Takahisa Taura is responsible for the concept and planning of ASTRAL CHAIN. Hideki Kamiya, creator of the Bayonetta™ series, is in charge of supervision. The character design is by manga artist Masakazu Katsura, creator of ZETMAN and Video Girl Ai.

If you're not familiar with Takahisa Taura:

Enough said! Who's hyped?

• The nanosecond some combat was shown in that trailer I could just feel the Platinum oozing off it. Can't wait to get my hands on this in August.

• I love everything about this game... But i would rather have in on PS4, I'm wishing to the Huber gods that its a timed exclusive.

• @a7x458 I don’t think that’s going to happen because it’s being published by Nintendo like Daemon X Machina.

• That soundtrack though. I want to play this game just to listen to the music.

• It's been a while since Katsura has done some game work. alt text

• @a7x458 it will come out on the PS4 straight after Bayonetta 2 does so have fun waiting :3

• This is the ninja, cop, anime, hack-n-slash I never knew I wanted.

• @alastor said in Astral Chain (Switch):

This is the ninja, cop, anime, hack-n-slash I never knew I wanted.

Now I want to replay Ninja Five-O.

• Hope the combat has more depth than Nier: Automata.

• I kinda hate the buttons on Switch so I don't know about an action game but I'll play it regardless. Gameplay looks fantastic, Platinum was on fire with Nier Automata, and I love the concept of sci-fi cops.

This is going to be a big one for me.

• @dipset Get dat Pro, or the Hori joycons.

• Pro Controller is like total $110 CAD last I checked and is significantly cheaper feeling than the less expensive PS4 and Xbox controllers. Screw that, I'll play with my joy cons and just complain.

• With the very exciting rumors of Platinum bringing Scalebound to the Switch, I just hope this game doesn't suffer from Platinum trying to do too much at once. We've seen from Star Fox Zero how they aren't miracle workers when spread very thin.

@dipset said:

significantly cheaper feeling than the less expensive PS4 and Xbox controllers.

Leaving Xbox out of this, because I've always disliked how those controllers feel so very bias, I significantly enjoy playing with my Pro Controller over a Dualshock 4 or 3. Isn't as airy and perfect as Wavebirds were back in Gamecube era with their snappy analogs and analog triggers, but still feels really good to hold, has a great battery life, and stays way cleaner than my Dualshocks which I'm constantly having to scrub. Only downsides are the D-Pad, but I've worn mine in so much it works fine now, and later models (Pyra one onward) revised that to make it better, and most games not having high Rumble options to account for you holding a proper controller, not dinky little Joycons that you feel more Rumble with naturally. Been seeing more games start to include options for this though. More the fault of so many devs balancing their Rumble output to Joycons than anything else than fault of the Pro Controller itself, which is very capable of delivering good Rumble. If you doubt me, load up Odyssey, set Rumble to high, and go ride a scooter around.

• Since we're talking about controllers, I'd like to take a moment to talk about the best controller ever.

0_1550600507590_49884187-1-xlpreview.JPG

Fully customizable button (including four back buttons) with settings for stick and trigger sensitivity, four different profiles that can be switched on the fly, built in audio drivers that make your sound even soundier, customizable LEDs, weights for making it as light/heavy as you want.
    Fully recommend.

Only complaint is that the default rumble setting is absolutely ludicrous. Had to set it to barely on to get it resembling anything reasonable.

• Haha. I didn't mean to derail the tread but I'm glad we all enjoy controllers so much.

I'll consider the Switch Pro controller when Astral Chain comes out because I know I'm going to love this game. I still haven't tried Smash bros outside of friends houses and the joy cons were fine for my skill level so I'm ok with still not spending that $100+.

• @dipset When I get a Switch a Pro controller will be a necessity. Played Smash with my buddies with the joycons, and while I completely dominated (Wario main with a pocket Simon) I honestly hated using that shit for extended periods.

• Speaking of Joycons though, I wonder if Astral Chain is going to try to do coop fights or if one player will be controlling both characters. I got coop vibes at first, but now it feels less likely to me. That'd certainly be a new thing for Platinum to tackle though.

@dipset said:

I still haven't tried Smash bros outside of friends houses and the joy cons were fine for my skill level

@El-Shmiablo said:

When I get a Switch a Pro controller will be a necessity. Played Smash with my buddies with the joycons

Honestly, for Smash I can't recommend anything less than a Gamecube controller with the adapter. That springiness I talked about before with Gamecube controller analog sticks isn't present on the Switch Pro Controller, so there's times in heated Smash matches you'll throw out a non-neutral attack that was supposed to be a neutral one simply because the stick hasn't snapped back to neutral fast enough. Sure, you can play around it, and I've only had this problem with Smash, but it is noticeably present. Also Smash just feels better with a Gamecube controller in general.

Only complaint is that the default rumble setting is absolutely ludicrous. Had to set it to barely on to get it resembling anything reasonable.

If I trusted third party controllers and had cash to blow, that would've actually sold me on that more.

• @mbun *more

Also, the Nacon is officially licensed by Sony. Don't know if that makes a difference. Did I mention the sticks on the analogs are steel?

• @el-shmiablo said:

*more

I hear you, but in this instance both work with slightly different meanings. I can't recommend anything that is lesser than a genuine, bonafide Gamecube controller for Smash is the sentiment I was going for, not that I cannot possibly recommend a Gamecube controller more, as though I am speaking so highly of the Gamecube controller, which I do and did in a previous post in this very topic, but here that was not my intention.

I wish this forum had a thing I could add to my posts to denote them pointless to the topic at hand and not refresh it for everyone, but I guess I'll just say that boss fight arena in Astral Chain reminded me of the mecha wiggler in New Donk City.