New and Upcoming Indie Game Releases

• Sometimes it can be easy to overlook many smaller game releases that are coming out, but there have been so many gems this generation when it comes to indie games. I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread dedicated to all of the new and upcoming indie releases to bring more attention to some of these games.

To kick things off, today is the release date of "Devil Engine", a side-scrolling shmup, available on Steam and Switch, coming to PS4 and EXA(?) later this year. It is retailing at 19.99 usd. A free demo is currently available on Steam.

Youtube Video

I think the game looks pretty cool from what I have seen. I have tried the demo and I like the feel and style of the game, although it is extremely difficult. I am not too experienced with the shmup genre, so I am not sure how common some of this game's mechanics are, but I liked how the game offered various speed settings in-game and the burst ability (basically a bullet-dodging barrel-roll) was cool. I will probably hold off on getting this one until the PS4 release comes out, but I am excited for it. Last year I really got into a vertical-scrolling shmup called "Crimzon Clover", which sparked my interest in the genre. I am eager to check out more.

Is anybody else here hyped about Devil Engine? Thoughts?

• Great idea for a thread, and with that said I think this fits well here.

Youtube Video

Amongst the flurry of mediocre high profile games, this seems to have released to a fairly decent reception, and while I haven't looked much into the actual game at the very least it seems like an interest concept.

• @bard91 I was literally about to talk about Eastshade too. It's a very rough but neat game conceptually, and equally rough and a little less neat in execution. That said, I am enjoying my time with it a fair amount. It's a game much more about nature and beauty than actual gameplay, so if you're into that kind of thing then you should give it a shot.

It's pretty buggy though, with my character getting constantly stuck on objects and clipping through things. The optimization isn't great either, so don't go into it expecting smooth framerate.

• What do ya'll suppose the second highest rated game of this year (behind Resident Evil 2) is? If you guessed an indie because we're in the indie thread... well dang, good observation.

Youtube Video

While I think this trailer kinda... is not very good, the fact that the YouTube comments are praising the game speaks volumes, since that is usually a cesspool of vitriol. It's coming to the Switch soonish and considering how much I enjoy card-based things and dungeon crawlers, I think I'm going to give it a go.

• Wow, good stuff so far. I have never heard about either of these games. "Slay the Spire" is definitely going on my to-buy list. I find most Rogue-likes interesting and I am really liking the look of how the card-game mechanics fit into this one.

• You're welcome

• This miiight be the indie game I'm most looking forward to this year. FMV 1970's inspired cinematic mystery game? Yes plz
    https://variety.com/2017/digital/news/sam-barlow-telling-lies-video-game-annapurna-1202496071/

Filming wrapped up a few weeks ago and Barlow is putting the game together right now. He's planning on showing some of it behind closed doors at GDC.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/21/telling-lies-game-cast/

• This looks so sick, so stressful, and it's coming out so soon.

Youtube Video

I remember one of the allies was talking about Eastshade, and it got me intrigued but i forgot about it. Really want to try that out. Skatebird looks rad too. Hoping for a console release one day.

• Inaka Project:
    https://octocurio.com/inaka-project/

It's a exploration game where you play as a Japanese student who's working as a postman in the Japanese countryside. Delivering letters, discovering hidden areas, and learning stories from the people there about local legends. It speaks to me on so many levels.

• For those interested in more metroidvania games, I recently saw "Touhou Luna Nights" pop up on the Steam store. I don't know much about the Touhou series and I haven't played this one yet, but it has some cool, detailed pixel art with very fluid animations. The general reception seems extremely positive.

• Truberbrook is set to launch for PC on March 12.
    Youtube Video

• Youtube Video

This one looks fun, sort of a 16-bit Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Just had a successful Kickstarter so won't be out for a long while.

• @axel dude did you catch that battle transition?? They're pulling a Chrono Trigger!

A couple shots with the ship building near the end there skeeved me out a little, but the vibes are strong with this game. Can't wait.

• Fantastic news everybody, the developers of the great "Hyper Light Drifter" have announced their next game!

Youtube Video

I can't wait to see more.