Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch)

• @dmcmaster its the DArk souls of turnbased RPGs

• Wooloo is so cute. Highlight of the Direct for me.

• So finally watched it, and definitely stoking a few embers, so I'm thinking I might pick it up.

Also maybe it's my imagination but I think there might be voice acting for the whole game, just seemed odd that there were no text boxs of any kind except for the battle screens

• @dmcmaster Lots of people are predicting that. Hard to say either way since this is the first mainline Pokemon game where trainers actually emote based on what is going on versus the psychotic smile through everything, but I do think if they did this it would be a perfect, relatively practical way of differentiating Pokemon now as a console game from previous handheld ones. I wouldn't expect full voice acting given all the languages they'd have to record for and hit that simultaneous release, but I could see it for the game introduction, important cutscenes, dialogue for Gym Leaders / important characters, etc.

• 4chan never lies yo (leak from last month that seems to check out)

• @hanabi Yeah, that leak pretty much has to be true. Way too much is right. Some slight things might've changed during development before launch, but you can expect most of that. That's one of the heaviest leaks I've ever seen for a Pokemon game.

• BEEP BEEP
    0_1559854536602_wooloo.jpg

• Probably shouldn't be taken for straight fact since it is just Twitter marketing, but the wording of this tweet suggests you'll be able to raid online with friends too, not just randoms.

• Heard somewhere they're removing pokemon from this game for balancing reasons or something.

Kinda hope that isn't true because it's honestly the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life

• @hanabi Thank you for reminding me I need to post about this.

Okay, so on Treehouse Masuda revealed that starting with Pokemon Sword and Shield there will no longer be such a thing as the National Dex. What this effectively means is that from now on, every new Pokemon game will only allow you to trade Pokemon to it that appear in the game's Regional Dex. That means from all 800+ Pokemon which exist, every new game will have a selection of those chosen to appear in each game and be tradeable to and from the game from services like Pokemon Bank or Pokemon Home.

The Pokemon that do not appear in the new entry will still be able to live on through other entries as well as in Pokemon Home, which I imagine now will be updated to have battle functionality, given the implications for the meta of no longer having every Pokemon available in every entry. This does not however mean that they are deleting or erasing existing Pokemon. They are simply spreading them out between games as they approach over a thousand Pokemon, as it becomes hard to continue to support that insane number of models, animations, movesets, Pokedex entries, etc. in every single new game when Pokemon is expected to release yearly or at worst every other year.

This has honestly been an encroaching inevitability everyone in the community has been waiting to happen for a couple generations now, and I'm surprised it has taken this long to reach this point. While it sucks that you won't be able to bring every one of your bros to every new region Pokemon visits, they'll rotate these Regional Dexes so you shouldn't go too many years without a game your bros can appear in. In the meantime, like I said before, I expect Pokemon Home's mentioned extra functionality over Pokemon Go to include ways to enjoy those bros without bringing them over to the new mainline games if they don't make the list.

• I'm not throwing a fit about the exclusion of certain Pokemon like the vocal parts of internet are, it's an understandable decision. Of course, when I find out my boy Dwebble can't be imported I'll be a bit sad, but whatever. I kinda like the focus on a brand new Gen.

Have they announced how many brand new ones will be in this game?

• My thought process on the whole thing is basically, it's not like they're just missing a year. It could legitimately be half a decade (or longer depending on how this is done) until some guys return to the rotation under this new setup. Considering every pokemon is someone's favorite, that can be a long time for a lotta people. Am I going to have to wait a whole generation or two just to be able to have, say, Simipour even usable again?

• @axel said:

Have they announced how many brand new ones will be in this game?

Not that I know of, and that's usually not something we find out until launch.

@Hanabi I get your point of view, but I think of it like Zelda games frequently used to have like up to five years between each major entry, so as long as individual Pokemon manage to appear once within that period, it isn't that different. Plus, Pokemon Home is going to be running through this whole time and probably have options for interacting with those Pokemon.

• @mbun Pokémon is more like 2 years though

• @bigdude1 2 years is pretty much this weird transition to Switch. It was pretty much yearly before.

• @mbun well its port, new, port , new. Yearly

• @mbun Nintendo Should at least release a game like Pokemon Battle Revolution for the Wii. Have one game that features every Pokemon.

• @bigdude1 Remakes aren't ports, and yes being able to use your bros in remakes will lessen the blow of not always being able to use them in the newest games.

@Shoulderguy Pokemon Home sounds like it is going to be the new one stop destination. It won't just be a box like Bank.

Junichi Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori revealed several details in the latest Famitsu interview:

• Stated that Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves will not appear in Sword & Shield.
    • Masuda also said that including alternate forms, Pokémon hits 1,000 with these games.
    • Masuda on the Decision to Limit Pokémon Sword and Shield to the Galar Pokedex: He didn’t like the decision, but it was needed. He wanted to bring every single Pokémon to Sword and Shield but they wanted to focus on higher quality animations. Ohmori mentions this idea was proposed for Pokémon Sun and Moon.
    • According to Masuda, there is still no decision taken on bringing non-Galar Pokémon to Pokémon Sword & Shield via updates. All Pokémon will still have an active role in Pokémon Home.
    • According to Masuda, Pokémon Home would have some playable features. Will also have connections to future games.
    • Pokémon Home is the “Home” for all your Pokémon. If a Pokémon is compatible with a game, it will leave for an adventure. If the Pokémon is not native to a certain region because is too cold for them, then they will stay in “Home” waiting for their next adventure.