Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch)

• Game Informer has lots of Pokemon coverage this month.

Here's some info coming out of it I'll try to update as more releases, but visit them above for the full stories:

The Core team at GameFreak making the Pokemon games has doubled since Sun and Moon, with about 200 members now
    This does not include outsourced and external partners, the marketing department, or the 9 language localization teams
    Estimated total number of names credited in Sword and Shield is thought to actually be somewhere around 1,000 strong

EXP Share is no longer an item, similar to Pokemon Let's Go party Pokemon get equal EXP share, and no info if you can turn it off

Sword and Shield introduces Autosave to Pokemon finally, but you can turn it off and still Save Manually if you prefer

Galar is introducing a way to make the Pokemon you get attached to over the course of your journey competitively viable
    They specifically mentioned "personality" which sounds like being able to swap a Pokemon's Nature for more ideal ones
    Previous games introduced a way to Max IVs for battle and swap a Pokemon's abilities, but they were very tedious

Max raid battles have different difficulties denoted by star ratings and the higher ones might be challenging

HMs won't be in Pokemon Sword and Shield, because one goal of these games is a higher degree of freedom, hence the Wild Area

They've said this before, but previously GameFreak was forced to scrap new features to maintain every Pokemon in every game
    This is why games going forward will be a thoughtful selection of existing and new Pokemon instead of them all from every game
    The selection of Pokemon in future games will eventually include whatever favorite doesn't make Sword and Shield's Regional Dex
    National Dex still isn't coming back, and they're not patching Pokemon in as DLC, but no Pokemon are being scrapped forever either
    The decision resulted from collaborative talks between GameFreak, The Pokemon Company, and Nintendo over the future of Pokemon

They still aren't ready to talk about Pokemon Home, the beefed up successor to Pokemon Bank, but it should help the NatDex situation

Remakes aren't going anywhere and will still be released between the games in new Regions with new Pokemon

The full issue this month for Game Informer has even more information, but you have to subscribe to see it. People are reporting certain excerpts from that, but people are clearly confused between certain points and reporting them differently, so the following is a mixed bag of speculation from the sense I'm trying to make of what I've seen reported:

There are 18 Gyms between Sword and Shield with a Minor League and a Major League in each game
    Whether a Gym is in the Minor League or Major League in the Galar Region swaps between versions
    Lorewise. the idea is that, like sports teams, the strength of Gyms will vary between League Seasons
    Traditionally, each Pokemon League Circuit consisted of 8 Pokemon Gyms for each Region
    So it is likely that 4 Gyms will be exclusive to a version of the game, 2 exclusive per game
    Or instead of 8 Gyms per League Circuit, there will now be 9 Gyms per League Circuit

Edit: GameFreak contacted GameInformer over this. It was a mistranslation all along. There's only 8 Gyms in Sword and Shield or probably 9-10 total between them if you count some versions having exclusive ones like the Fighting Gym in Sword and the Ghost Gym in Shield.

• Some more info from Game Informer:

There is no announcer for the Gym Stadium fights

The names Sword and Shield for the games were chosen late into development and based on the Box Legendary Pair

Zacian and Zamazenta's names are indeed based on the colors Cyan and Magenta as fans thought

• Reminder that the 24 hour livestream of Glimwood Tangle for Sword and Shield begins in a couple hours.

You can watch here on Youtube or here on Twitch.

Guess I'll update this post with reveals as they happen, but I'm going to put them behind a spoiler tag unless they're officially tweeted now that we're getting closer to launch. If this is a way for them to reveal stuff for the people hungry for more while not spoiling that for people who'd rather be surprised at launch, I'd like to support that if possible.

Galarian Ponyta was slowly teased until this clear reveal happened. Near the end of the stream, two of them showed up and played for a bit. Then the stream abruptly ended with a cry tease for Galarian Rapidash without actually showing it.

Overall, 24 hours to reveal one new variant of a Pokemon, not even a completely new Pokemon was not worth it.

• Galarian Ponyta is a pure Psychic Type Pokemon exclusive to Pokemon Shield.
    Youtube Video

Galarian Ponyta’s Ability, Pastel Veil, is a new Ability introduced in these titles. This Ability prevents the Pokémon and its allies from becoming poisoned! It can even cure the poisoned status condition of its allies when this Pokémon enters the battlefield!

Galarian Ponyta have been found in a certain forest of the Galar region since ancient times. It is said that they were exposed to the overflowing life energy of the forest over many generations, and this is why their appearance became unique in this region.

Galarian Ponyta can absorb the life energy of the surrounding atmosphere and store it in its mane. It seems that Ponyta’s mane will become more colorful, and even emit a sparkling glow, if there is a lot of energy around.

• Youtube Video

Grookey instills life energy wherever it hits the stick.

Youtube Video

Running is core to Scorbunny's theme.

Youtube Video

Two ladies came up with Sobble's design.

This starter trio's evolutions are hinted to fit in with the themes of the Galar Region.

• Youtube Video

Youtube Video

As usual, the official website has some additional excerpts. I'll post some I find interesting:

This special Meowth that can Gigantamax can be received as an early-purchase bonus for Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield by selecting the Get via Internet option in Mystery Gift from Friday, November 15, 2019, to Wednesday, January 15, 2020.
    Note: A Nintendo Switch Online membership (paid) is not required to receive the special Meowth.
    Note: The special Meowth cannot evolve.

Similar to the Happy Hour Munchlax they distro'd for Sun and Moon.

If you have play records from Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! on your Nintendo Switch system, you’ll be able to receive a special Pikachu that can Gigantamax in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.
    If you have play records from Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! on your Nintendo Switch system, you’ll be able to receive a special Eevee that can Gigantamax in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.
    Note: You’ll be able to receive the special Pikachu or Eevee at the Wild Area Station in the game.
    Note: The special Pikachu and Eevee cannot evolve.

No word whether or not the demo will count for these, but it counted for Smash, so cross your fingers.

Butterfree’s vast wings can stir up a wind strong enough to lift a 10-ton truck, just by flapping. This wind also scatters poisonous scales around the area, so simply being near this Pokémon is very dangerous.

Meowth loves shiny objects, and when it sees skyscrapers lined with glass, it won’t be able to resist the urge to sharpen its claws on them. This behavior can cause considerable damage, such as wearing down the exterior walls and breaking windows.

Pikachu has become so powerful that now it can produce enough electricity to rival a power plant! However, using this electricity to help power people’s homes seems difficult, as Pikachu can only remain Gigantamaxed for a short time.

The fur around Eevee's neck has become extra fluffy and luxurious thanks to Gigantamax power. Any opponent caught in this fur becomes enamored with Eevee and loses the will to fight.
    Gigantamaxing has caused Eevee to become more rambunctious than ever, and it will attempt to play with any opponent. However, it often ends up crushing its opponent due to its massive size.

• Global Moderator

@mbun would stuff face in eevee's extra floof 10/10

• Previews for the first 90 minutes of Sword and Shield came out from some publications today such as Eurogamer.
    Don't recommend reading them yourself, because GameInformer and others kind of beat for beat spoil early game.
    But I'll try to summarize meaningful takeaways from them below while staying mindful of overt spoilers:

You can play the entire game with a Pro Controller, but there's Minigames that have optional Joycon Motion Controls too

People aren't allowed to talk about them, but the Preview was stuffed with upwards of a dozen Unrevealed New Pokemon
    All these new Pokemon were found between the Starting City and the Industrial City, all still located relatively Early Game
    Thus safe to confirm now there's lots of content GameFreak is holding back, versus there "not being anything else to show"
    Lots of UK Slang both in Dialogue and new Pokemon Names

EXP Share still appears to be forced on
    Pokemon that participate in the battle get 100% of the EXP, and Pokemon that don't get 50% of the EXP
    The EXP amounts also scale with level differences seemingly identically to how it worked in Sun and Moon
    Given I can't find any Preview that suggests you can turn it off, we're probably stuck with it enabled

The beginning of the game is much quicker than Sun and Moon
    Skippable Cutscenes as a feature returns from Let's Go
    If you catch a Pokemon before the Catching Tutorial, the game recognizes this and skips the Tutorial for you
    If you use a Super Effective Move at the beginning, the game recognizes this and skips the Tutorial for you

Galar's Wild Area is "roughly the size of two regions from Breath of the Wild" according to a Nintendo Rep
    Wild Area lets you connect to 4 players Online and run around with them, visibly showing your group moving around
    Rare "Yellow Aura" Wild Area Pokemon Encounters with guaranteed Max IVs in some Stats and Egg Moves
    Wild Area lets you freely wander into sections with much Higher Level Pokemon without stopping or warning you
    Strong Pokemon will chase you if you cross their Sight, which isn't proximity based, meaning you can Sneak behind them
    Updated Map with Objective Marker and Next Objective Text
    While in the Wild Area you can access your PC at any time

Raid Spots, whether active or not, can earn you Watts by interacting with them
    Watts is a Currency you can trade for TMs, Curry Ingredients, or even Camping Gear
    There's no built in Voicechat for Raids to help coordinate with one another

Pokecenters still contain Marts as well as letting you change Nicknames and Delete Moves
    You can see the Available Pokemon on the Route you're on inside the Dex
    Trainers comment when you score Critical Hits on their Pokemon during Battle
    Pokeballs in the Environment containing items seem physically larger than they used to be

There is indeed a Forest to explore next to your Starting Town
    Confirmation that there's no Voiceacting for Cutscenes and such

• Global Moderator

@mbun said in Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch):

Wild Area lets you connect to 4 players Online and run around with them, visibly showing your group moving around

This may be the thing that excites me most as a poke-noob lol By let you connect to 4 players is that 4 random people or will it let us choose?

• Thanks for the info dump!

• @sirvorn Previews said at a spot near the entrance of the Wild Area you either choose Friends to Group with otherwise it throws you in a Group with 3 other random players while you're Online to run around, Raid, and Camp with.

• Global Moderator

@mbun fantastic, bless your hearto

• Wild Area Diorama

• Didn't really hear about this until it was already over, but nothing to be worried about if you hear about this.

• Two new Game Informer articles are up. One is serious questions about Sword and Shield. The other is silly broad stuff.

Not a ton to report out of either, but here's some stuff I found interesting:

there's more postgame content than just the Max Raid Battles

I still wouldn't expect a Battle Frontier, because in the past they've said not enough players do it to be worth making one anymore, but probably will get a post game questline similar to XY or ORAS and maybe a smaller Battle Facility.

dev outright says eight responding to a question about how often we'll be in the Gym Buildings

They do say "at least eight", but given they put the number on it, I wouldn't expect more.

confirmation that the Y-comm (think PSS) works outside the Wild Area

We kind of already could figure this out, but they outright said it.

the devs don't really care about Pokemon's timeline anymore

Not a surprise after ORAS shattered it with multiverse crap.

There's not much Sword and Shield related stuff in the silly article, but there's some funny stuff worth reading on your own.

Polygon also released a new article. There's some inspiration stuff in there, but nothing too crazy, except:

Did you see the, the Twitter challenge, “make a Pokémon in five minutes?”
    Masuda: Yeah, I definitely saw it. I mean, it was interesting to see everyone doing that challenge. But Pokémon are definitely not things that you can just make in five minutes. Obviously, you know, it’s not just the outward facing appearance. You’ve got to make sure it moves and everything, and then there’s all the different systems and data you have to create to make it work in the game. But, yeah. It was interesting to see.

What would be the quickest amount of time you think an actual Pokémon could be created in?
    Ohmori: It definitely takes a decent amount of time. I’d say the fastest for coming up with an idea and actually implementing it completely in the game would be at least three months per character. You know, having them all move in parallel. It’s not just creating that outward appearance of the Pokémon. You’ve got to make sure that then you build the model and make sure it’s within the limits for the polygons, rig it with all the bones and everything, texture it and make it look how we set it up, and then send it to the animators, have them create all the different animations, review those to make sure they still match the idea, and then eventually put it in the game and make sure that everything works in there. So it’s definitely a pretty involved process.

With the way fans have been acting like they know Pokemon development better than GameFreak themselves, so much so that rude questions like this are being asked to them directly, there's pretty much never been a more applicable time for the famous Smash Director Masahiro Sakurai quote:
    have you?
    Metro has also posted an interview with some interesting tidbits: (Going to directly quote these excerpts due to specificity)

No Voice Acting:

There’s sort of two main reasons, so firstly this is a RPG with a whole lot of text that we’re then localising and releasing in nine different languages at the same time. So from a purely practical point of view actually getting that organised and carrying out all the voice recording, the corrections and so on in nine different languages for release on exactly the same day is something that would be incredibly difficult. So, that’s one reason why we haven’t chosen to do it this time around.

But the other reason is one of character image, in the sense of when you play a game, if you’ve got a voice on that character that instantly provides to the player an image, a feel for that character that they don’t generate themselves, it’s pushed on them from the development side. Whereas if we have really flavourful text, for those characters, but no voice the players can kind of create their own image of who that character is as they’re playing. And that’s something we really like to encourage as we’re creating games.

Choice of Game World Pokemon Voices:

And another point to consider is that in the game we’re focusing on them as being living creatures, so having them making a sound like a living creature – rather than just shouting out their own name – is quite nice.

Opponent AI:

The AI is always something we pour a huge amount of research into when we’re developing the game. So, for example, we’ll experiment and have the AI fight off against itself to see what that does and really fine tune the AI that we create. So it really is quite difficult to tune accurately. [laughs]

We could, of course, make the AI way smarter, and make it really difficult to fight against but by doing that you could end up making the game not very interesting at all, and it’d become just purely difficult. So instead of really focusing on making the AI strong or weak what we do is make it fight in such a way that it’s interesting for the player and the player has a feeling of enjoyment and also a sense of achievement. So that’s something we focus on as we’re creating the AI, not just whether it’s easy or difficult. It’s something that a lot of effort goes into but it’s tricky to find that balance.

Why Y? :

The Japanese term for Y-Comm is YY Communication, YY means to have fun, everyone excited together. But also, you press ‘Y’ on the Switch to activate it and YY kind of sounds like Wi-Fi. [laughs]

Gameplay over Story:

When we’re creating the story for Pokémon games the biggest thing for us, over the story, is the gameplay. So we really want to create really solid gameplay that people can enjoy. The story we make is really to bring out the best aspects of the gameplay, that’s how we go about it, rather than starting with saying we want to make this grand story and then building the game based from that. Instead, we really start with the gameplay aspects.

So in terms of the story for this time around, it’s a very simple tale of wanting to become a superstar. You’ve got this kind of sports event related gym challenge, so you want to become a star, you want to become a champion. So that kind of simple story is something that can really immerse people into the gameplay – fighting to become champion.

You mentioned Paper Mario and the kind of jokey story that has and if that’s something that were to fit into a gameplay style that we create then that sort of thing is something we might consider. But it really is gameplay first and then we build a story that can bring out the best of that, rather than the other way round.

Oh, and one last thing I want to include, which I went into a little above and am seeing from lots of outlets now:

I just realised why a lot of these questions have a tinge of negativity, it’s because I’ve been talking to fans to get them.

Eurogamer also released a very tactful interview I wish the other outlets would learn from today you can read here.
    No major takeaways personally, although some are citing something said in it as meaning no more Pokemon Let's Go, but I think it is just marketing speak to save the announcement for later. Another article today implied GameFreak is already working on Gen 9, which would be unprecedented, meaning no Sinnoh Remakes or Let's Go Johto or even third versions or sequels of Sword and Shield. The only singular reason I could see this happening is if they were dropping the yearly Pokemon releases by cutting the in between games to dedicate more time so future games could have the National Dex back. I'm very afraid if this is what they're planning, but it is still too early too tell, so keep in mind I'm speculating pieces together like a conspiracy theorist here. They seemed pretty adamant on moving on from every Pokemon in every game.

• Refresher video on all the new Pokemon officially revealed so far for Sword and Shield:
    Youtube Video

Figured this could be a good catch-up for new people who don't want to watch all the smaller videos throughout this topic.
    Keep in mind it has been confirmed GameFreak is intentionally holding back lots of reveals for players to enjoy at launch.

This also feel like a good time to hard cut off new reveals. I'll still post them, but they'll be behind spoiler tags from here on.
    Encourage others to do the same when discussing the content of them, but if you're true media blackout, slap Ignoring now.