Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch)

• I'm gonna channel my inner Huber and wish that they still have something special to show later for y'all. If the good stars align and i can actually push myself to save up money to buy a Switch, then maybe i can join you guys for this adventure. First timer, may i add (with the exception of the GBA Pokemon that i played for like 2 hours).

Still don't know whether to pick Sword or Shield. Sobble is an easy pick though.

• @axel said:

If your Pokémon are over level 30 though (Brandon Jones style), they are brought down to Level 30, forcing you to defeat your opponent through strategy rather than brute force.

I think people (Jones included) would hate this. I always hear complaining about autobalancing in games.

As for environmental challenges and whatnot, imagine each Pokémon has an innate ability (Fire Pokémon can light fires, Electric Pokémon can power up machines, Ghost Pokémon can move through certain things, Flying Pokémon can produce wind, etc.). Doesn't matter which moves they have or which level they are, they all have their Type's ability.

[Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Field Skills]

I can only judge what they've shown me, and so far it's New Pokémon U Deluxe.

I still disagree with that, but I get where you're coming from.

now the roles are totally reversed, so that's funny! ;)

Welcome to my Trick Room.

• @mbun That's why it should just be an option, for those who want it. And since they did exactly that in the past for post-game battles, I imagine they see the benefit of it. I'm not claiming it's the be-all and end-all solution, just one example of something simple enough that would make a big difference for me.

Yeah, didn't think of that but it's indeed quite similar to Xenoblade's field skills, just less demanding.

• Also I just know Grookey will eventually evolve into a Donkey Kong-like bulky Grass-Fighting ape and I'll forever regret not picking him as my starter :(

• Or -- and stay with me -- Pokemon should evolve into a game with dance battles. Like, your goal is to become the best Pokemon dance coach, so you set out in order to make that dream a reality. Random encounters are dance battles, and getting new Pokemon leads to new exciting dance moves to counter your opponent. Get on it, GameFreak!

• @capnbobamous Isn't that basically Ooblets?

• @sabotagethetruth I... I just want Ooblets to come out.

• @capnbobamous You mean like Pokémon Musicals? Either way, Tierno would approve.

• Global Moderator

@Axel Brad will be all in on Grookey if it evolves into a giant Ape, so I'm hoping it does just for him haha.

• It will evolve into Bulkey and then Grapplape, the tag team partner of Incineroar. Do it Game Freak!

• @capnbobamous I would love this, in fact the contest were some of my favorite things in Sapphire, I just loved the idea of building a team not only for battles, it was something I dearly missed in Y which is the only game after Sapphire that I've played, if that were something that were expanded on it would certainly help get back my attention.

• 0_1551449646613_1551443786906.jpg

I guess I just want the games to not be such lazy, low effort crap. I'm fine if they keep the same type of gameplay, but it is honestly kind of sad when late PS2 games look about as good as current gen entries.

• @el-shmiablo agree with the sentiment, but where is that image from? it looks like just a CG render not actually running on anything (again I have no idea where it is from).

• @mbun Whoa I never played Gen V, but that sounds awesome! I might have to pick that one up.

@bard91 I'm just a natural fan of minigames, and typically the Pokemon games are severely lacking any good ones. Not to mention that I am sick of the formula every game follows. A change of pace would be nice.

• @bard91 Unreal Engine 4 demo. Real time and playable.

• @el-shmiablo Did they just buy environment assets and stick Pokemon they modeled into them and add effects or did they make the whole thing? I've seen lots of similar Unreal Mario demos and they usually look a little off. Also, I can't imagine this actually running on a Switch at any decent framerate. Would have to be scaled back majorly like what Sword and Shield actually are. Breath of the Wild certainly doesn't look like that either, so not going to say Nintendo could do a better job unless Monolith Soft hid it with outlandish style environments like they've been known to do.

It is easier to make a small vertical slice of something look really nice. Look at GameFreak's Town. Much harder when it is a giant adventure.

@Capnbobamous Honestly, I'm not sure if those alone are worth you playing Gen 5, but Gen 5 is imo the best Pokemon has ever been, mostly due to a really well made sequel that actually builds on the game before it, so I'd definitely recommend checking those games out for everything else they offer.

• @el-shmiablo That looks like trash, The Pokemon look weird as fuck and the environment looks crap.

• Youtube Video

Another analysis video. This time for the region map. I was wrong about the first gym being Grass Type. GameFreak is sneaky.

• This post is deleted!

• @yoshi This is beautiful, but it is also in the wrong topic.