The Video Game March Madness Bracket
Brannox last edited by Brannox
@chocobop I thought about posting the full first round but keeping track of every straw poll was a little daunting (and if you see my first couple of posts after the OP, you'll see I was right as I flubbed one of the links. <=-J)
Also, as I pointed out towards the end of the OP, the matchups are grouped together where you'll see what the potential is (and likely outcome if you remember the leaders after you vote). Meaning: Of the above quadrant, you know the 1/16 winner is going up against the 8/9 winner and so on.
As for the rest of the matchups, it's a little fun for me to give the entire seed list and allow everyone's imaginations try to guess what the future matchups are about to be. I will say the entire bracket is already set, and the next quadrant will post tomorrow when I call off the vote for the first quadrant.
DIPSET last edited by
This will be MADNESS!!
Can you make the results secret until your reveal? Also... Madden 2003 IS better than Mass Effect 2 fyi. Madden 2005 is the GOAT though.
@dipset With how the bracket process works, I MUST reveal the winners.
HOWEVER, it is, technically impossible to hide the results at any time because the polls are public and you can see them when you vote, OR click results. So even if I WANTED to, I'm not able to.
Faaip last edited by
@brannox Ah yeah that was a close one.. see you in the ACC tournament haha
@faaip Possibly, depending on how the seeding shapes up.
A Black Car last edited by
Little Big Planet vs San Andreas is my Sophies Choice.
I'm ending the voting a little earlier than I want because I'm going to have a busy afternoon, so let's go ahead and move to the next bracket.
BUT FIRST! The results of Quadrant 1. I have to say, the Ocarina of Time vs SMB 3, Half-Life 2 vs. GoW, and Skyrim vs. TLoU appeared the most interesting matchups. And the reality:
- 1.) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time advances over 16.) Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA version) 11-6
- 8.) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas won easily over 9.) LittleBigPlanet 12-6
- 12.) God of War (2018) is the first "upset" with a win over 5.) Half-Life 2 by a close 9-7 margin.
- 13.) Devil May Cry gets the next "upset," beating 4.) NFL 2K1 7-4. This means a double digit seed is now guaranteed to make it to the Sweet 16!
- 6.) Mass Effect 2 had the largest margin of victory, taking its match against 11.) Madden 2003 11-4.
- 3.) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 beat out 14.) Civilization V is a surprisingly close match 10-7.
- 10.) The Last of Us is the final double digit seed of the bracket to win, winning over 7.) Skyrim 10-6.
- 2.) Grand Theft Auto V had a fight with 15.) Quake with the latter actually leading initially, but GTA pulls out a 10-8 win.
Now, we move to Quadrant 2! And personally speaking, this is the most interesting of the first round set:
Remember, I'll give it about two days before going to the next group!
People, I know Red Dead 2 is a great game, but don't forget about the masterpiece that is Oblivion. Masterpiece!
DMCMaster last edited by
Oblivion was a masterpiece?
DIPSET last edited by
Oblivion IS a masterpiece, yes. I think Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are two of the greatest questlines all time. Imperial City music is too good as well.
bam541 last edited by bam541
Bioshock and MW2 is a weird one for me, I don't have much love for both of those games. Tekken 3 and Portal 2 is a real hard one. I think I got everything else locked though.
Also, I want to say that not voting for Half-Life 2 hurts me big time, but I had to do it, GoW is just so good.
Inustar last edited by
@capnbobamous LBP is an amazingly fun game, even with its flaws. There was no question about me voting for it since GTA isn't for me, but I like to see more people seeing the joys of Sackboy.
@inustar Yeah I knew it wasn't going to win, but LBP is a game worthy of praise, so praise it I shall. To me it's honestly one of the best games from last generation.
Axel last edited by
Baldur, not Baulder ;)
Considering it didn't even make our Top 25 games of 2000. I highly doubt it will make it to the next round, but I'll take any opportunity to say this game is one of the best RPGs ever and you all should play it.
@axel Thanks for the correction! Sadly, it's too far into the process for this round, but I've rectified the spelling in my document in the event it moves on.
Sentinel Beach last edited by
Tekken 3, you can do it! One of the Greats for me, that one. Truly a formative game for a ten-year-old me back then.
A Black Car last edited by
@capnbobamous This sentiment echoed. Except I love GTA. I love San Andreas. Still voted for LBP.
@a-black-car Thank you for your service.
Sazime last edited by Sazime
@dipset It still has my favorite DB quest line. Made me laugh and surprised me quite a bit.
That Civ V bracket hurts, because I'm sure it's a matter of, "you played one or the other" as opposed to anyone making a direct comparison. Oh well.
Quadrant 2 is now over and here are the results!
Three matchups were absolute run-aways:
- 1.) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 wasn't challenged by 16.) Halo 3 14-2. Surprising when Halo 3 is the Forums' number 66 game of all time and there isn't a THPS at all.
- 4.) Super Mario Odyssey predictably smashed Madden 2002 17-1. To the person who voted for Madden: Respect.
- 3.) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild beating 14.) Gears of War also came out to a 14-2 difference.
Two matchups were the closest so far, with the difference of only ONE vote:
- 8.) Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn outlasts 9.) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 9-8
- 10.) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask took out 7.) Half-Life 11-10, earning the first double digit seed upset
The other three matchups were pretty decent in terms of margin of victory, but two of the three were double digit upsets:
- 5.) Bioshock wins out over 12.) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 10-6
- 11.) Portal 2 defeats 6.) Tekken 3 11-7
- 15.) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion moves on from 2.) Red Dead Redemption 2 10-7 in personally the most surprising result to date. On top of that, another double digit is guaranteed for the Sweet 16
And now: QUADRANT 3! Results in two days.