The Video Game March Madness Bracket
I'm ending the voting a little earlier than I want because I'm going to have a busy afternoon, so let's go ahead and move to the next bracket.
BUT FIRST! The results of Quadrant 1. I have to say, the Ocarina of Time vs SMB 3, Half-Life 2 vs. GoW, and Skyrim vs. TLoU appeared the most interesting matchups. And the reality:
- 1.) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time advances over 16.) Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA version) 11-6
- 8.) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas won easily over 9.) LittleBigPlanet 12-6
- 12.) God of War (2018) is the first "upset" with a win over 5.) Half-Life 2 by a close 9-7 margin.
- 13.) Devil May Cry gets the next "upset," beating 4.) NFL 2K1 7-4. This means a double digit seed is now guaranteed to make it to the Sweet 16!
- 6.) Mass Effect 2 had the largest margin of victory, taking its match against 11.) Madden 2003 11-4.
- 3.) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 beat out 14.) Civilization V is a surprisingly close match 10-7.
- 10.) The Last of Us is the final double digit seed of the bracket to win, winning over 7.) Skyrim 10-6.
- 2.) Grand Theft Auto V had a fight with 15.) Quake with the latter actually leading initially, but GTA pulls out a 10-8 win.
Now, we move to Quadrant 2! And personally speaking, this is the most interesting of the first round set:
Remember, I'll give it about two days before going to the next group!
People, I know Red Dead 2 is a great game, but don't forget about the masterpiece that is Oblivion. Masterpiece!
DMCMaster last edited by
Oblivion was a masterpiece?
DIPSET last edited by
Oblivion IS a masterpiece, yes. I think Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are two of the greatest questlines all time. Imperial City music is too good as well.
bam541 last edited by bam541
Bioshock and MW2 is a weird one for me, I don't have much love for both of those games. Tekken 3 and Portal 2 is a real hard one. I think I got everything else locked though.
Also, I want to say that not voting for Half-Life 2 hurts me big time, but I had to do it, GoW is just so good.
Inustar last edited by
@capnbobamous LBP is an amazingly fun game, even with its flaws. There was no question about me voting for it since GTA isn't for me, but I like to see more people seeing the joys of Sackboy.
@inustar Yeah I knew it wasn't going to win, but LBP is a game worthy of praise, so praise it I shall. To me it's honestly one of the best games from last generation.
Axel last edited by
Baldur, not Baulder ;)
Considering it didn't even make our Top 25 games of 2000. I highly doubt it will make it to the next round, but I'll take any opportunity to say this game is one of the best RPGs ever and you all should play it.
@axel Thanks for the correction! Sadly, it's too far into the process for this round, but I've rectified the spelling in my document in the event it moves on.
Sentinel Beach last edited by
Tekken 3, you can do it! One of the Greats for me, that one. Truly a formative game for a ten-year-old me back then.
A Black Car last edited by
@capnbobamous This sentiment echoed. Except I love GTA. I love San Andreas. Still voted for LBP.
@a-black-car Thank you for your service.
Sazime last edited by Sazime
@dipset It still has my favorite DB quest line. Made me laugh and surprised me quite a bit.
That Civ V bracket hurts, because I'm sure it's a matter of, "you played one or the other" as opposed to anyone making a direct comparison. Oh well.
Quadrant 2 is now over and here are the results!
Three matchups were absolute run-aways:
- 1.) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 wasn't challenged by 16.) Halo 3 14-2. Surprising when Halo 3 is the Forums' number 66 game of all time and there isn't a THPS at all.
- 4.) Super Mario Odyssey predictably smashed Madden 2002 17-1. To the person who voted for Madden: Respect.
- 3.) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild beating 14.) Gears of War also came out to a 14-2 difference.
Two matchups were the closest so far, with the difference of only ONE vote:
- 8.) Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn outlasts 9.) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 9-8
- 10.) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask took out 7.) Half-Life 11-10, earning the first double digit seed upset
The other three matchups were pretty decent in terms of margin of victory, but two of the three were double digit upsets:
- 5.) Bioshock wins out over 12.) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 10-6
- 11.) Portal 2 defeats 6.) Tekken 3 11-7
- 15.) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion moves on from 2.) Red Dead Redemption 2 10-7 in personally the most surprising result to date. On top of that, another double digit is guaranteed for the Sweet 16
And now: QUADRANT 3! Results in two days.
Poor World of Goo doesn't stand a chance. Don't worry little buddy, you'll get 'em next time.
DIPSET last edited by DIPSET
Some crazy results to me. Half Life is one of the greats. An original in all regards. Majora's Mask is great but not on the level of Half Life in terms of legacy and impact.
I think Madden 2004 is better than Mass Effect 2 but Madden 2003 didn't get my vote but shouts out to that one guy!
Looking at this new list, I think some of my votes might offend people but I basically love all of these games. I'll be torn no matter what direction most of these go. I'll stick my neck out and say GTA IV is better than Jet Grind Radio, THPS4 is better than Halo CE.
It might be hard for us gaming nerds to comprehend, but Gran Turismo 3 is an incredible game that supersedes gaming itself. This was a game that non-gamers and gamers alike all agreed was incredible and boundary pushing.
E_Zed_Eh_Intern last edited by
@dipset Yeah this list looks to me like it might be the closest group so far. Shout outs to the other SFIV voters, I was sure I was gonna be the only one. That game was massive for the fighting game genre and community while Galaxy 2 stayed the course - for better or worse - and, in my (and presumably Kyle's) opinion, even took a step back by eliminating the hub. PLUS, vanilla SFIV, while my least favourite of the SFIV series, was the only time we would get Street Fighter 4 without Soul Satellite, Genei jin, and Elena.
Guest last edited by Guest
I have no faith that Jet Grind Radio stands a chance but I'm hoping that since IV probably the most divisive mainline GTA it might eke out a chance to hit the second round at least. I know personally I wasn't huge into IV anyway.
Man I aughta play THPS4 one of these days. And Halo, never had an Xbox growing up but I bought one years ago just for Shenmue II and JSRF.
The only really hard decision so far for me has been RDR vs MGS2. I love me some RDR but I think MGS2 is a 10 even outside of the story.
Also gotta vote for Street Fighter IV solely because of how hype its intro was back in the day.
Sazime last edited by
These brackets are soooo painful. I love it! I hate it! It's madness!
bam541 last edited by bam541
Vice City, Tekken 3, Half-Life, AND RDR2 losing? Oh, the pain is unbearable already. I can feel the pain's gonna get worse because Uncharted 2 is paired up against FFIX, if that goes the way i think it's going to then my HP goes minus for sure. We already got what we came for, pure madness.
Honestly, i would feel a bit... loose if Jet Grind Radio wins it, the vibes of that game is top notch but trying it out last year revealed how dated it is gameplay-wise. It just sucks out all the fun from everything else that the game still does well. Also, GTA IV is a stellar videogame.
MGS2 vs RDR is another interesting one to watch. I hope RDR wins it just because RDR2 lost earlier.