The Video Game March Madness Bracket
Axel last edited by
Quadrant 2 is now over and here are the results!
Three matchups were absolute run-aways:
- 1.) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 wasn't challenged by 16.) Halo 3 14-2. Surprising when Halo 3 is the Forums' number 66 game of all time and there isn't a THPS at all.
- 4.) Super Mario Odyssey predictably smashed Madden 2002 17-1. To the person who voted for Madden: Respect.
- 3.) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild beating 14.) Gears of War also came out to a 14-2 difference.
Two matchups were the closest so far, with the difference of only ONE vote:
- 8.) Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn outlasts 9.) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 9-8
- 10.) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask took out 7.) Half-Life 11-10, earning the first double digit seed upset
The other three matchups were pretty decent in terms of margin of victory, but two of the three were double digit upsets:
- 5.) Bioshock wins out over 12.) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 10-6
- 11.) Portal 2 defeats 6.) Tekken 3 11-7
- 15.) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion moves on from 2.) Red Dead Redemption 2 10-7 in personally the most surprising result to date. On top of that, another double digit is guaranteed for the Sweet 16
Wow, that was unexpected! Baldur's Gate II won?? I thought I'd be the only one voting for it, just like for the GOTY 2000... Where were you back then people?? I'm still salty!
I'm always amazed by how many people love Tony Hawk, I've never been into it so I expected Halo 3 to be an easy winner, maybe it's an American thing?
Majora's Mask, I respect it a lot but it didn't click with me at all, so I also feel like Half-Life should have gone through but kudos!
Oblivion winning doesn't surprise me that much since RDR 2 is very much a love it or hate it affair, whereas Oblivion was huge back then, I remember it was my first 360 game and boy was I blown away by the graphics and the scale of the open-world!
DIPSET last edited by DIPSET
Tony Hawk is by far my favourite video game series. Like BY FAR. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 to American Wasteland are all amazing games.
Also, I have Baldur's Gate II downloaded and ready to go. I just have a few more cRPGs in my backlog then maybe I'll back you up in these votes by putting some respek on Baldur's Gate II. If it makes you feel better, I LOVE Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance 2 but those are Diablo clones or something if I recall. It was so long ago.
Sentinel Beach last edited by
Another Tony Hawk vs. Halo pair, huh.
@sentinel-beach That's just how the bracket fell when putting the matchups together shrugs shoulders
MiserablePerson last edited by
@faaip Nice to see a fellow Wolfpacker otb - hope you are in good health as, much like every basketball/football/baseball season, they are on the verge of making me suffer a fatal heart attack with their antics. Assuming we survive BC on Saturday, looking forward to our pivotal 8/9 matchup with fellow bubble dweller, Clemson.
Nice thread btw, Brannox!
@miserableperson Thank you very much!
Brannox last edited by Brannox
Quad 3 had some intriguing outcomes, so let's get into 'em!
- All but TWO matchups were very close! The "runaways?": 6.) Batman: Arkham City took care of 11.) World of Goo 13-4, and 3.) Perfect Dark wasn't challenged by 14.) Madden 2004 12-3.
- Two matchups were decided by only three votes: 4.) Halo: Combat Evolved avenged Halo 3's beatdown by sending 13.) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 home 9-6. The other match was 10-7 win for 2.) Super Mario Galaxy 2 over 15.) Street Fighter IV
- There was only one matchup with only two votes difference. And 5.) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was the benefactor, beating 12.) Final Fantasy IX 10-8.
- However, the REAL main event were the not one, not two, but THREE matches decided by only a SINGLE VOTE: 1.) Grand Theft Auto IV BARELY survived 16.) Jet Grind Radio in what could've been the biggest upset of the tournament, but carries the 10-9 win. 7.) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess did get a good match from 10.) Gran Turismo 3: A-spec, with the latter actually leading at one point, but TP carries the day, 9-8. All that said, nothing could match the excitement between 8.) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and 9.) Red Dead Redemption. Every time I checked on the results, there was a different leader. EVERY. TIME. The last time I checked it? RDR was leading 10-9. At vote close, MGS 2 is the winner, 11-10.
- Also, fun fact, this is the ONLY bracket to have EVERY higher seed win their first round match.
And now, we're in the final quadrant of the 1st round and with it, the promised Zelda vs. Zelda!
See ya in two days!
SabotageTheTruth last edited by
While the term ludonarrative dissonance got insanely popular in hindsight after the release of Bioshock Infinite, I've always thought it was funny that people threw that term around to dismiss the game, yet fail to acknowledge the medium as a whole is a breeding ground for the concept. When Infinite released, I remember the world being on fire for it but now it's popular to hate so I don't expect it to beat Goldeneye, even if Goldeneye is a nightmare to play these days, looks and controls combined. Goldeneye did help make shooters popular on console so it has that going for it but as far as which is more fun to play right now? There's no contest there.
The speed of movement thanks to the skyrails in Infinite leads to some really thrilling battles, a feeling few shooters reach for. Columbia is absolutely gorgeous. Mixing various vigors and weapons leads to interesting combinations and experimentation. The way it ties in with the Bioshock franchise (even moreso thanks to the DLC) is brilliant and while it doesn't always tackle important issues with grace, it at least brings them up.
I know the chances of Infinite winning are about the size of Oddjob, but I'm still pulling for it.
Capnbobamous last edited by
The only game here that I truly love is Mario Galaxy, but I doubt I really have to promote it. MGSV I really enjoy, but the final act is garbage.
Chocobop last edited by
Goldeneye has turned into the king of getting conditional/backhanded respect. Screw that. I'm on team Goldeneye all the way, god dang it! It's as great as it ever was. Or almost as great. Whatever. Where's Brandon? He'll back me up.
Faaip last edited by
@miserableperson Hey small internet! Yeah you'd think those games would be locks but at this point who knows haha
Sentinel Beach last edited by
I honestly never noticed the moment when it became popular to joke about BioShock Infinite and simply dismiss the game entirely. That had just happened one day, and I don't get it. I really enjoyed the game and loved the story to death, mind-bending stuff that pushed the right buttons for me. Elizabeth and the whole world, Columbia. Just wow. The ending is great and the DLC story ties everything into one cluster in a way I couldn't even dare to imagine.
In other news, now is the time for Resident Evil 4 to take its rightful place. One of the Greats, and deservingly so. I still can't believe it you people didn't vote it into the Top100 list here we made some time back. I kept hoping till the end, but no. A masterpiece.
@chocobop I'm right here! Oh..... Oh, you meant Jones.... Sorry. Nevermind. X-D
Sazime last edited by
I enjoyed BioShock Inifinite well enough (I still have my Songbird statue!), but I think it suffered the same fate as Rage: post release hate because of poorly planned pre-release marketing. Both games promised these amazing concepts being put into place, but the actual release, good or not, didn't live up to the hype.
bam541 last edited by bam541
Uncharted 2 wins? Holy shit, i was sweating bullets for that one. GTA IV too. Phew. On the flip side, both RDR games are out so that's a bit of a bummer.
I loved Bioshock Infinite, personally. Played it when it came out and was absolutely stunned by the breathtaking setting and environments, and also really enjoyed the combat and story. I wasn't really paying attention to the gaming community discussions on the Internet back then, so it's not only much later that I found out that many people didn't like it, which took me by surprise. I won't be surprised if it goes out now, especially considering it's opponent, but I'll certainly feel something when it happens.
Also, GTA III is such a groundbreaking title, but man I love Modern Warfare so much. I played (and platinumed) the remaster recently, and it's still my personal favorite campaign of the CoD games, despite later games having way cooler set pieces and such. Masterpiece.
I immediately quit playing MGS V after they start making me replay old missions again. So yeah, that's one for RE4 from me.
64 games entered and now half remain! Before getting into the round of 32, let's see how Quadrant 4 turned out:
- With the exception of two matchups, there are pretty clear cut winners.
- 1.) SoulCalibur wins over 16.) Celeste 11-5 (I thought this would be closer).
- 5.) GoldenEye 007 had a healthy margin over 12.) Bioshock: Infinite 13-7.
- 6.) Resident Evil 4 moves on with an almost identical outcome against 11.) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
- 3.) Metroid Prime had the easiest win, breezing by 14.) Chrono Cross 13-4.
- In the battle of Zeldas, 7.) Wind Waker gets by 10.) A Link to the Past 12-7.
- 2.) Super Mario Galaxy also secured a 13-4 win over 15.) Ninja Gaiden Black.
- Of the remaining two matchups, there was a difference of only one vote: 9.) Halo 2 is the only lower seed out of this quadrant to get to the next round with a 10-9 win over 8.) Gran Turismo and 4.) Grand Theft Auto III survives 13.) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 11-10.
Over the last few days, I decided instead of sticking with each individual quadrants in each round, I'll just go with the two halves of the bracket. This means for the following matchups, we're bringing back Quad 1 and immediately moving forward with the Quad 4 winners that were just determined. And in two days, it'll be both Quads 2 and 3. So let's get on with it and determine who moves on to the Sweet 16! A couple of fun facts: one matchup is the age old debate of what is the 2013 GOTY. And we as a forum haven't had that thread yet (hint hint), and in Quad 4, we're guaranteed a game that debuted on a Nintendo Platform will make it to the Elite Eight!
Guest last edited by
San Andreas, THPS3 and Wind Waker are easy votes for me. GTAV and TLOU is a tough one, but mostly because I think both games are horribly overrated and solid 8's at most. Think I'd give it to GTAV though, while TLOU had some high points I don't think any of them beat how fun a good heist, race or rampage can be.
E_Zed_Eh_Intern last edited by
I honestly don't think I can choose between San Andreas and Ocarina of Time. Metroid Prime, GTA V and Wind Waker were my easy choices this time.
Capnbobamous last edited by
Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games ever, so that's one's easy. I really like both TLoU and GTA V, but narratively one of them is vastly superior than the other, so it goes to that one. I would say that Ocarina of Time holds up a lot better than San Andreas, so my vote's for that one. The rest I either don't really care about, or the choice is very difficult.
bam541 last edited by bam541
Welp, Modern Warfare lost. Oh well, my heart must move on.
It's 2013 Gametrailers GOTY all over again, TLOU vs GTA V. GTA V's the best GTA ever by a long mile IMO, but i have to pick TLOU. It was a such a important step forward for Naughty Dog, a step that i feel has made everyone involved a better developer. They learned so much from making that game (as shown on the recent Uncharted games, that IMO was better because of the TLOU influence), and likewise i think many people who played it (like me) were probably as influenced as they were, in one way or another. Massively influential game, and for a very good reason. Everything is spot on for me in this game (except for the buddy AI). The only reason it's not my favorite ND game is because the depressing, apocalyptic vibes hurts me too much everytime I play it. Obviously very intentional, of course.
Not voting for DMC also hurts. I really had a good time with it. The clash of the exciting, flashy and visceral combat with the moody and haunting atmosphere of the environments is magical. I'll count it as a horror game because I had chills literally every second during my playthrough. It affected me so much that I had to switch to Easy mode because I can't focus on the combat.
Oh yeah, ME2 is fucking awesome too. I personally prefer ME1 though.