The Video Game March Madness Bracket

• San Andreas, THPS3 and Wind Waker are easy votes for me. GTAV and TLOU is a tough one, but mostly because I think both games are horribly overrated and solid 8's at most. Think I'd give it to GTAV though, while TLOU had some high points I don't think any of them beat how fun a good heist, race or rampage can be.

• I honestly don't think I can choose between San Andreas and Ocarina of Time. Metroid Prime, GTA V and Wind Waker were my easy choices this time.

• Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite games ever, so that's one's easy. I really like both TLoU and GTA V, but narratively one of them is vastly superior than the other, so it goes to that one. I would say that Ocarina of Time holds up a lot better than San Andreas, so my vote's for that one. The rest I either don't really care about, or the choice is very difficult.

• Welp, Modern Warfare lost. Oh well, my heart must move on.

It's 2013 Gametrailers GOTY all over again, TLOU vs GTA V. GTA V's the best GTA ever by a long mile IMO, but i have to pick TLOU. It was a such a important step forward for Naughty Dog, a step that i feel has made everyone involved a better developer. They learned so much from making that game (as shown on the recent Uncharted games, that IMO was better because of the TLOU influence), and likewise i think many people who played it (like me) were probably as influenced as they were, in one way or another. Massively influential game, and for a very good reason. Everything is spot on for me in this game (except for the buddy AI). The only reason it's not my favorite ND game is because the depressing, apocalyptic vibes hurts me too much everytime I play it. Obviously very intentional, of course.

Not voting for DMC also hurts. I really had a good time with it. The clash of the exciting, flashy and visceral combat with the moody and haunting atmosphere of the environments is magical. I'll count it as a horror game because I had chills literally every second during my playthrough. It affected me so much that I had to switch to Easy mode because I can't focus on the combat.

Oh yeah, ME2 is fucking awesome too. I personally prefer ME1 though.

• Uggghhhhh... go back and play Mass Effect 2. Its not thaaaaaat gooooooood! Corridor combat and a gather the gang plot no different than Fast Five, Oceans 11, Avengers, etc.

Play THPS3 right now and its a still as fun and perfect as it ever was. I hate yall!

• @dipset I can't mount an argument against ME2 since I never played it but THPS3 is everything I like about video games. It's all about getting that high score, a gameplay style that feels like a lost art these days. There's infinite replay value in a game like that since you can always get that combo to run just a little bit longer. The soundtrack is perfectly fitting too and really helps to set the tone. Helps that it doesn't take itself seriously; I mean you can have Darth Maul doing 900's in an airport after all. It's one videogame-ass video game.

THPS3 is honestly probably in my top three games I've ever played. Top 5 at least.

• @hanabi said in The Video Game March Madness Bracket:

you can have Darth Maul doing 900's in an airport after all. It's one videogame-ass video game.

THPS3 is honestly probably in my top three games I've ever played. Top 5 at least.

How can anybody even argue against Darth Maul doing 900s on log ramps in "Canada" while Motorhead "Ace of Spades" blasts through your whole combo. THPS3 is legendary and top 5-10 for sure.

• It's a tragedy we don't really have Tony Hawk games anymore, and the worst part is I'm sure it wouldn't even be that hard, just keep the same general idea from the old ones, and not have it been a broken mess.

• Activision doesn't care to market or fund the games properly, and Tony Hawk doesn't care about quality control with his name anymore (his new mobile game was poorly received).

I've been pretty fond of Activision lately because they usually make massive budget games that are quite good, but THPS5 was an abomination. If you didn't know, the decade long contract between Tony Hawk and Activision was coming up so they have the game to a sub-talented studio to churn out a game in a year expecting it to sell off the name Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

Now the contract is up and neither Hawk nor Activision are allowed to use that name. I figured Treyarch or Infinity Ward would be the go-to for making a proper sequel since that's where Neversoft went after they were dissolved and put onto Call of Duty, but it never happened. Silver lining is that although we won't get remasters or sequels, these games were blockbusters so they are available in any and all game stores. I repurchased my collection in 2013 with ease.

• The fight between ME2 and THPS3 is an interesting one to me.
    So while for me it's an easy one, since Mass Effect is my fave game series, it's interesting since it seems like a fight of Story/Characters vs Gameplay. Both games are great though.

• And half of the bracket has been paired down. Before getting to the other side, let's take a look at how Quads 1 and 4 turned out:

Three games were decided by a point and shockingly, they both involved the 1 seeds.

• Probably the most stunning result and what would have been the undeniable biggest upset possible if 8.) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas would've beat 1.) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. But that didn't happen, as the forums' selected Greatest Game of All Time survives, 12-11. To those who voted for GTA: SA, where were ya'll two and a half years ago, because it's not even IN the Top 100!
    • The other 1 seed, 1.) SoulCalibur barely edged out 9.) Halo 2 8-7.
    • The final one vote difference was 9-8, as 4.) Grand Theft Auto III takes it from 5.) GoldenEye 007.

There were a couple of blowouts and healthy wins as well:

• For the blowouts, 12.) God of War (2018) had the biggest win, beating 13.) Devil May Cry 16-3, and 7.) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker didn't stand a chance against 2.) Super Mario Galaxy 14-4.
    • The healthy margins belonged to 6.) Mass Effect 2 over Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 14-6, and 10.) The Last of Us over 2.) Grand Theft Auto V 13-8 (So I guess we know what'll top that hypothetical 2013 GOTY thread...)
    • And the only remaining matchup was a back and forth affair between 6.) Resident Evil 4 and 3.) Metroid Prime 10-8 favoring the former.

So now let's get to Quads 2 and 3 shall we?

QUADRANT 2
    1. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 vs. 8. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
    5. Bioshock vs. 4. Super Mario Odyssey

11. Portal 2 vs. 3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    10. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask vs. 15. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

QUADRANT 3
    1. Grand Theft Auto IV vs. 8. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs. 4. Halo: Combat Evolved

6. Batman: Arkham City vs. 3. Perfect Dark
    7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess vs. 2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Again, final results in two days' time!

• You know when you meet somebody, spend time with them and find you have a lot in common and really enjoy spending time together just laughing at things - and then the person randomly says or does something that goes so hard against your values that it shakes you so hard that you can't decide between abandoning your values or losing somebody you love? Imagine they did that TWICE at the same time. TLOU over GTA 5 and RE 4 over Metroid Prime? For the first time in a long time, I may need to drink on a Tuesday.

• Majora's Mask vs Oblivion hurts my soul in extreme ways. I love both of those games dearly, but ultimately it goes to Oblivion. Odyssey vs Bioshock is also difficult, but I think Bioshock is probably better. The rest are no-brainers for me.

• I actually hate you all. You're all blocked for putting Mass Effect 2 over THPS3.

• @dipset THPS3 is vastly inferior to Skate 3 don't @ me

• THPS3 was robbed

• @capnbobamous

Skate 3 was vastly inferior to Skate 2 and 1. I @'d you!!

• How do these 7s keep squeaking through against 8s and 9s?

• This is a tough choice. There are some great games in Quadrant 2. The only one I haven't finished in that list is Baldur's Gate 2. As for Quadrant 3. I don't really have a horse in that race.

• I mourn the loss of GTA V, but I would be absolutely devastated if TLOU lost that one. But hey, GTA III won, I'm real happy 'bout that.

Boy, we got the battle to end all RPG battles there, The Elder Scrolls vs Zelda. What a match.

GTA IV vs MGS2 is definitely the hardest one in this quadrant for me.

I'm definitely picking Uncharted 2, but Halo Combat Evolved is no slouch of a game.