Are We in a Golden Age of Videogames?

• @ezekiel said in Are We in a Golden Age of Videogames?:

No. Games have gotten too expensive to make for their own good. Publishers are so afraid of going against the norm because they're investing tens of millions of dollars. The push for cinematic, emotional storytelling and photorealistic graphics in every other big game has hurt level design, because it's easier to tell your story when the character goes exactly where you need them to go. I'm sick of seeing upgrades, stats, skills, loot and the same mechanics in every game. The western console publishers in particular really have their priorities mixed up. It's why I prefer my Switch over my PS4 and why I'm so glad that most of the other Japanese games are on PC now. RE2 is more of a game than The Last of Us, with far superior level design, resource management and problem solving. Devil May Cry 5 will be better than the God of War reboot, because the developers are trying to make a good action game first and not another depressing, pretentious over the shoulder walk and talk. Sekiro will trump any action-adventure PS4 exclusive, because FromSoftware always succeeds at level design, world progression and art direction, and they've now dropped most of the RPG elements that were holding their games back. I'm happy that I'm going to play as a character now instead of another ugly, emotionless, randomly generated mute, and that the developers are able to focus on fewer weapons and less gear now.

RE2 despite ok is incredibly overrated and one trick pony. i highly prefer RE7 in every single way. Metro Exodus is better in every way and feel more survival than RE2.

only reason sekrio looks good or best game made by fromsoftware is because its not RPG being RPG means bad gameplay always. so yes i agree. there is a character in sekiro instead of create a mute character which i always hated.

Rage 2 and Doom Eternal looks incredibly fun action games with little of cutscene and no emotional storytelling or walking sim. those games fall under the category of gameplay first and graphic second as a result im expecting both to be 2 of best games this year.

• @b-cell said in Are We in a Golden Age of Videogames?:

@ezekiel said in Are We in a Golden Age of Videogames?:

No. Games have gotten too expensive to make for their own good. Publishers are so afraid of going against the norm because they're investing tens of millions of dollars. The push for cinematic, emotional storytelling and photorealistic graphics in every other big game has hurt level design, because it's easier to tell your story when the character goes exactly where you need them to go. I'm sick of seeing upgrades, stats, skills, loot and the same mechanics in every game. The western console publishers in particular really have their priorities mixed up. It's why I prefer my Switch over my PS4 and why I'm so glad that most of the other Japanese games are on PC now. RE2 is more of a game than The Last of Us, with far superior level design, resource management and problem solving. Devil May Cry 5 will be better than the God of War reboot, because the developers are trying to make a good action game first and not another depressing, pretentious over the shoulder walk and talk. Sekiro will trump any action-adventure PS4 exclusive, because FromSoftware always succeeds at level design, world progression and art direction, and they've now dropped most of the RPG elements that were holding their games back. I'm happy that I'm going to play as a character now instead of another ugly, emotionless, randomly generated mute, and that the developers are able to focus on fewer weapons and less gear now.

RE2 despite ok is incredibly overrated and one trick pony. i highly prefer RE7 in every single way. Metro Exodus is better in every way and feel more survival than RE2.

only reason sekrio looks good or best game made by fromsoftware is because its not RPG being RPG means bad gameplay always. so yes i agree. there is a character in sekiro instead of create a mute character which i always hated.

Rage 2 and Doom Eternal looks incredibly fun action games with little of cutscene and no emotional storytelling or walking sim. those games fall under the category of gameplay first and graphic second as a result im expecting both to be 2 of best games this year.

The bigger reason Sekiro will be good is because the developer values level design and mechanics over presentation and story. Their worlds crush almost anything the western publishers are producing now.

Also, Devil May Cry 5 is getting great reviews. Can't wait until tomorrow night. Go Japan! Keep kicking western console devs' pretentious asses! DMC5 is gonna crush God of War. As will Sekiro.

• @ezekiel

You do realize God of War jumped the shark and sort of needed a renaissance whereas DMC never required that same treatment. I adore God of War 3 but Kratos become a parody of himself that entire game. Then they doubled down and made another God of War without deviating from the formula of giant boss fights, moving levels, extreme violence. If God of War 2018 was anything like Ascension then the game would have been laughed off and the series would have died. I could see it being treated like Crackdown did where people are calling it dated and tone deaf for the times.

DMC5 just needed to embrace its action game roots instead of doing what God of War did by scaling down the madness. These games had different intent and clearly a different history leading up to it. I don't even see why they have to be compared. It isn't 2005 anymore. God of War in 2005 had a lot to prove because Western devs didn't always make good action games. It got accused of copying DMC, I get it, but again, we aren't in 2005. DMC5 and GOW 2018 are not even in the same competitive realm.

• @dipset said in Are We in a Golden Age of Videogames?:

@ezekiel

You do realize God of War jumped the shark and sort of needed a renaissance whereas DMC never required that same treatment. I adore God of War 3 but Kratos become a parody of himself that entire game. Then they doubled down and made another God of War without deviating from the formula of giant boss fights, moving levels, extreme violence. If God of War 2018 was anything like Ascension then the game would have been laughed off and the series would have died. I could see it being treated like Crackdown did where people are calling it dated and tone deaf for the times.

DMC5 just needed to embrace its action game roots instead of doing what God of War did by scaling down the madness. These games had different intent and clearly a different history leading up to it. I don't even see why they have to be compared. It isn't 2005 anymore. God of War in 2005 had a lot to prove because Western devs didn't always make good action games. It got accused of copying DMC, I get it, but again, we aren't in 2005. DMC5 and GOW 2018 are not even in the same competitive realm.

I disagree completely. If they wanted to reboot it, they should have made it about another God of War in a different pantheon, kept the epic soundtrack instead of replacing so much of it with silence and cringy dialogue, kept the wide camera angles (or at least used one made for crazy action games), brought different weapons for the new god or goddess of war, kept the jump button and improved the platforming, kept the extreme violence (This game is tame.), kept the sex, kept the narrator and the cutscenes... Basically, new ideas and mechanics that are still in the spirit of what came before. God of War is the wrong way to do a reboot. Believing God of War had to forsake its identity in order to stay relevant and new just shows a lack of imagination. Also, the axe puzzles are too monotonous. It's a dull, pretentious, tedious game, and I dislike Sony for forcing this to happen. Kratos is totally unbelievable as the same guy.

• @ezekiel

I'm not even the biggest fan of the new God of War but you're acting like Santa Monica didn't even try (which they did and were rewarded greatly for it). If you look into the development history, they did have a lot of the things you mentioned and they brought it down to what you see in the final game. Jumping WAS in there but it didn't work with their close and intimate combat.

I don't know, we can agree to disagree, but God of War 1 & 2 is from another era. The narrator is so cheese if you look back today. I still love the way they tell their story in the same way I love B-Movies, but it released when storytelling in games was in an infancy era with camera work and voice acting. Maybe one day we'll look back and laugh at modern games calling them cheese, but I'd say GoW 2018 doesn't even have melodrama like most games, it chucked the parody-laden rage to the curb in favour of silent moments that generally work in its favour.

The close and intimate combat is unique to God of War. No other game on the market plays that way. It isn't lazy, its just a new take. In what world is Egyptian God of War not going to just feel like a rehash of the same premise? They even planted the seeds for the series going that direction anyways. If the game started in Egypt, that storytelling would have been a lot less tasteful.

Again, I don't LOVE this game. It's probably my second least favourite in the series because I DO miss the gore and the violence and the red coloured blood. With that said, this game isn't effortless and even if you don't like it, I don't know why you'd want the developers to starve when they clearly did a great job according it the mass majority of people.

• @dipset Shh... Ezekiel is just a more literate BCell.

@ezekiel

I'm not even the biggest fan of the new God of War but you're acting like Santa Monica didn't even try (which they did and were rewarded greatly for it). If you look into the development history, they did have a lot of the things you mentioned and they brought it down to what you see in the final game. Jumping WAS in there but it didn't work with their close and intimate combat.

I don't know, we can agree to disagree, but God of War 1 & 2 is from another era. The narrator is so cheese if you look back today. I still love the way they tell their story in the same way I love B-Movies, but it released when storytelling in games was in an infancy era with camera work and voice acting. Maybe one day we'll look back and laugh at modern games calling them cheese, but I'd say GoW 2018 doesn't even have melodrama like most games, it chucked the parody-laden rage to the curb in favour of silent moments that generally work in its favour.

The close and intimate combat is unique to God of War. No other game on the market plays that way. It isn't lazy, its just a new take. In what world is Egyptian God of War not going to just feel like a rehash of the same premise? They even planted the seeds for the series going that direction anyways. If the game started in Egypt, that storytelling would have been a lot less tasteful.

Again, I don't LOVE this game. It's probably my second least favourite in the series because I DO miss the gore and the violence and the red coloured blood. With that said, this game isn't effortless and even if you don't like it, I don't know why you'd want the developers to starve when they clearly did a great job according it the mass majority of people.

I never said this reboot is lazy. But effort means squat if it's wasted on bad ideas.

You call the combat close and intimate, I call it clumsy and boring. Before I quit the game, I had multiple instances of Kratos locking onto enemies ahead of my intended target. I wasn't going to disable the lock on when it was clearly intended to be on. I hated that I couldn't switch targets as easily. The artificial warning icons and reliance on the son's verbal warnings just expose the zoomed in camera for how inadequate it is. I was sure this game wouldn't have any jumping when I saw the first scripted trailer. They wouldn't have had to remove it if they had just used a better camera. The combat is also too simplistic.

The narration and cutscenes did a good job of moving the story along. Narration isn't cheesy. It doesn't have to be. It's not infantile, as you put it. So many great movies and TV shows use narration to communicate thoughts. I just watched one before this post, the wonderful Berlin Alexanderplatz by Rainer Werner Fassbinder.

Fury Road didn't feel like a rehash. It's about a cold, broken character who initially doesn't care about others but then goes out of his way to help, which is what we've come to expect after thirty years of Mad Max. I expect God of War to feature rage and extreme violence. This isn't a God of War game. It barely has anything to do with David Jaffe's original idea.

• @ezekiel said in Are We in a Golden Age of Videogames?:

@b-cell said in Are We in a Golden Age of Videogames?:

@ezekiel said in Are We in a Golden Age of Videogames?:

The bigger reason Sekiro will be good is because the developer values level design and mechanics over presentation and story. Their worlds crush almost anything the western publishers are producing now.

Also, Devil May Cry 5 is getting great reviews. Can't wait until tomorrow night. Go Japan! Keep kicking western console devs' pretentious asses! DMC5 is gonna crush God of War. As will Sekiro.

I dont really care about DMC5 or any hack n slash but watching some footage. it looks far and far better than GOW which won GOTY last year. because GOTY is popularity contest. any mainstream game can win.

sekiro looks like it might be a non FPS game i enjoy in years..

• @ezekiel

I'm not one to advocate people retrying games they don't like, I hard quit Spider-Man three hours in because I didn't like all the radio towers, BUT God of War keeps getting better and better as you play. At the mid-way point it has some serious fan service and is revealed effectively through the camera not using any cutting. Its a BIG WOW moment. Then the game ends hinting in some of the directions you suggest. The game also does test the sort of character change you say isn't believable in Kratos. They show how and why he is the way he is today and he is tested from going back to his old ways.

The game was doing A LOT of set up (a whole games worth) for what's to come. Its getting bigger, crazier, and without spoiling it for people who haven't played it - its story/mythology is going into uncharted territory.

@ezekiel

I'm not one to advocate people retrying games they don't like, I hard quit Spider-Man three hours in because I didn't like all the radio towers, BUT God of War keeps getting better and better as you play. At the mid-way point it has some serious fan service and is revealed effectively through the camera not using any cutting. Its a BIG WOW moment. Then the game ends hinting in some of the directions you suggest. The game also does test the sort of character change you say isn't believable in Kratos. They show how and why he is the way he is today and he is tested from going back to his old ways.

The game was doing A LOT of set up (a whole games worth) for what's to come. Its getting bigger, crazier, and without spoiling it for people who haven't played it - its story/mythology is going into uncharted territory.

I quit some time after acquiring the Blades of Chaos and first being haunted by Athena, which is part of the fanservice you're talking about. I didn't buy his transformation or the change in tone. It's really pretentious of SIE Santa Monica to pretend this series is and was high art.