The Game I'm Working On

• Hey all! I recently found out that the career path I thought I was going down, the thing I've been working towards since I was in 6th grade, may not come to fruition. Rather than feel sorry for myself, I actually feel sort of invigorated by it. It's like a whole world of opportunity has opened itself up to me, and I can't wait to dive in.

With that said, for a few years now I've had an idea for a game in my head. It was always the kind of thing where I would dream of making that game, but then think about all of the impracticalities of it. Well I'm done dreaming. I want this game to be a reality, so I've decided that I am going to make it. I don't want to sit around thinking about it anymore, I just want to do it. I don't know if anything will come of it, but I'll kick myself if I don't try.

I won't give a lot of details on what it is, but I hope that by having this thread where I post updates, my motivation won't wane. I'll probably post art here and some character designs, but nothing that would spoil the exact details of the game. I'm excited to make my dream a reality, and hope y'all are cool to be here for the ride!

• Excited for the updates, you better not slack off now :p

• @bam541 Well now that I know you're excited, I wouldn't dare!

• I'm not at home right now so I don't have access to computer paper or a scanner, but here's a little something. Sorry for the photo quality.

0_1551680124280_Grandpa.jpg

• Best of luck, my dude! Life is always going to pivot in weird ways (I may be in a similar situation in the near future), so good to see you thinking on your feet. Keep us posted!

• I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you, but I’ve being making a game for the past 3 years and I’ve learned one lesson the hard way: plan everything in a lot more details than it needs to be. I have a very clear picture in mind of how all systems will interact with each other, but almost each time I’m implementing a new one, I have to redo something in previously covered areas because I haven’t thought about that. For example, when I’ve started to implement load/save I had to change random number generator everywhere because the one I’ve initially chosen couldn’t be saved properly.

• @ffff0 Thanks for the advice! I'm still in the early design phases (and probably will be for a long time), but once I get going I'm sure I'll encounter loads of problems like that. I'm not a great coder either, so it'll be a struggle.

• @capnbobamous Don't worry, you'll be much better coder once you'll done.

• Here's a new character:
    0_1551851571690_GonScan2.jpg

• Here's a pixelized version of Gon:
    0_1551936831111_GonPixel1.png

It's just a prototype and served as more practice than anything. It was mostly to figure the colors out, which is apparently quite difficult due to my being colorblind. Also I accidentally used an outline color as a body color for the neck but didn't catch it until I already exported.

The head I am really proud of, but I definitely need to work on the body more. It's hard for me to do arms, so I really need more practice. I forgot to add the buttons and stars to the shirt, but oh well.

• Recently, I've spent much of my time trying to figure out sprite-work, and I think I've made some progress. Here's a palm tree I just made that I would like your thoughts on:
    0_1552283177378_PalmTree.png

I know there is a lot wrong with the trunk. It's too big, there isn't enough detail, and it is far too straight. What I would really like your opinion on is the color of the branches. As I mentioned before, I am colorblind, so finding the right colors for things is difficult. I think I did pretty good, but I don't know.

• It's been a little while since I posted here, so I figured I would give a quick update.

Here are a couple quick sketches of side-views for Gon and Capria, the latter of which is a new character.

0_1553393173038_GonSide.jpg

0_1553393183763_CapriaSide.jpg

• It's been a while since I posted here, which is mainly due to the fact that I've spent most of my time writing. I do have some new sketches and such, but that has been sort of a side thing for a while. Hard to know what to draw when you don't have things written. I have also been trying to establish an art-style, which is proving rather difficult. I don't want to go hyper-realistic, but I also don't want to go full anime. It's hard establishing the basic drawing ground-rules that are necessary for consistency.

With all that said, I feel like I have to post something, so here is a VERY basic map. I still need to push everything together and get rid of white space.

0_1554951582834_GoldRidgeIslandMapSmaller2.jpg