The Game I'm Working On

• I'm not at home right now so I don't have access to computer paper or a scanner, but here's a little something. Sorry for the photo quality.

0_1551680124280_Grandpa.jpg

• Best of luck, my dude! Life is always going to pivot in weird ways (I may be in a similar situation in the near future), so good to see you thinking on your feet. Keep us posted!

• I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you, but I’ve being making a game for the past 3 years and I’ve learned one lesson the hard way: plan everything in a lot more details than it needs to be. I have a very clear picture in mind of how all systems will interact with each other, but almost each time I’m implementing a new one, I have to redo something in previously covered areas because I haven’t thought about that. For example, when I’ve started to implement load/save I had to change random number generator everywhere because the one I’ve initially chosen couldn’t be saved properly.

• @ffff0 Thanks for the advice! I'm still in the early design phases (and probably will be for a long time), but once I get going I'm sure I'll encounter loads of problems like that. I'm not a great coder either, so it'll be a struggle.

• @capnbobamous Don't worry, you'll be much better coder once you'll done.

• Here's a new character:
    0_1551851571690_GonScan2.jpg

• Here's a pixelized version of Gon:
    0_1551936831111_GonPixel1.png

It's just a prototype and served as more practice than anything. It was mostly to figure the colors out, which is apparently quite difficult due to my being colorblind. Also I accidentally used an outline color as a body color for the neck but didn't catch it until I already exported.

The head I am really proud of, but I definitely need to work on the body more. It's hard for me to do arms, so I really need more practice. I forgot to add the buttons and stars to the shirt, but oh well.

• Recently, I've spent much of my time trying to figure out sprite-work, and I think I've made some progress. Here's a palm tree I just made that I would like your thoughts on:
    0_1552283177378_PalmTree.png

I know there is a lot wrong with the trunk. It's too big, there isn't enough detail, and it is far too straight. What I would really like your opinion on is the color of the branches. As I mentioned before, I am colorblind, so finding the right colors for things is difficult. I think I did pretty good, but I don't know.

• It's been a little while since I posted here, so I figured I would give a quick update.

Here are a couple quick sketches of side-views for Gon and Capria, the latter of which is a new character.

0_1553393173038_GonSide.jpg

0_1553393183763_CapriaSide.jpg

• It's been a while since I posted here, which is mainly due to the fact that I've spent most of my time writing. I do have some new sketches and such, but that has been sort of a side thing for a while. Hard to know what to draw when you don't have things written. I have also been trying to establish an art-style, which is proving rather difficult. I don't want to go hyper-realistic, but I also don't want to go full anime. It's hard establishing the basic drawing ground-rules that are necessary for consistency.

With all that said, I feel like I have to post something, so here is a VERY basic map. I still need to push everything together and get rid of white space.

0_1554951582834_GoldRidgeIslandMapSmaller2.jpg