Control (PC/PS4/Xbox One)

• Wait Insomniac actually owned the IP for Sunset Overdrive?

• Got Control early, will stream it later once it's installed and I finish a few other things

0_1566582658032_FB_IMG_1566582646939.jpg

• @dmcmaster That's awesome. Physical copies wont arrive here until like 4 days after the official release date so I'm quite jealous.

• Streaming it now for anyone intrigued
    Youtube Video

• Second stream
    Youtube Video

• @dmcmaster I won't be watching to avoid spoilers but can you share some general thoughts about it?

• So far story is a bit confusing, but its intriguing enough to keep me going. Like it almost feels like this is the sequel to something we never got.
    Also I find it funny how there are moments of Jesse supposedly talking to herself (usually a close up of her eyes) only for so far 2 characters to straight up mention something she said from her monologue.

Gameplay feels great, better then Quantum Break (admittedly need to give that a second chance) feels like a slightly heavier Max Payne 2 if that makes sense.

Oh not sure if it would count as a spoiler but there is a returning actor for Remedy, one that I don't think they've worked with since about 2004.

• @dmcmaster I really liked QB gameplay, to me is among the best this gen although they rarely allow you to play it. So good news. How is the difficulty?

• @phbz
    It's pretty middle of the road so far, but I have encountered a enemy type that (so far) I have not found a way to kill.

Theres also a few puzzles that the logic isn't really explained just how they work.

• Also just want to say with PS4 Pro if you set the console to 1080p I think it runs with an unlocked framerate

• Huber's review is out! It looks to be better than I expected. Shame about the framerate issues though.

Youtube Video

On Opencritic, currently it's sitting on 84 with 63 critic reviews. Great news all around!

https://opencritic.com/game/7858/control

• From what I've heard from reviews there are some issues with the game on the technical side, texture pop in, frame rate drops. Also the story seems to be lacking in some regards. I highly anticipated this game and its a little disappointing to hear they didn't completely knock it out of the park. However my excitement hasn't lessen any, I don't think this game will still be a darkhorse for GOTY like I thought previously but it still seems like a damn good time.

• From what I have played of it so far, I can see the story being lacking as hardly anything is ever really explained, also the cinematography for the few cutscenese I have encountered is pretty lacking (typically being shot-reveres shot) but the gameplay over all is phenomenal having that bit of "oomph" that QB was seemingly lacking in both it's gameplay and sound design.
    As for the technical issues I have encountered stuff that I can't tell if it's intentional or not, there was one room I encountered early on that had what I can only describe as static fog (Like it's meant to be fog but it looks like static from a television) and the game does chug at times, which can be alleviated on PS4 Pro by switching it 1080p (seems to run at a unlocked framerate so that's a plus)

• @themarcv If you have a high end PC, that version seems mostly clear of issues. Saw some animations fail to load, but everything else was smooth as butter. Also:

• I just bought a 4K HDR TV because my old TV kicked the bucket so I intend on christening it with Control in a few weeks. I'm almost certain some of the issues will be patched by then.

Per the gameplay - it seems a bit bland based on the review videos. I wasn't expecting the best gunplay on the planet but Huber was especially just telekinetically whipping objects at enemies like its the slash attack in God of War. I'm a bit concerned about its depth if that's the case. I remember everybody praised Quantum Break's gunplay but in the Angry Joe review, he showed that you can just stand still and mindless enemies will shoot and run around aimlessly without even challenging you at all. I reeeeeally hope Control isn't like that.

Regardless, I'm getting it in two weeks and this staycation can't come soon enough!!

• @dipset said:

Per the gameplay - it seems a bit bland based on the review videos.

I think the beginning of the game is kind of bland and the low level enemies will make you worry about the rest of the game, but once you get past that it seems to get better and better.

wasn't expecting the best gunplay on the planet but Huber was especially just telekinetically whipping objects at enemies like its the slash attack in God of War.

Seems like one of the strongest tools. Noticed you can even hit enemies with objects as you pull them toward you before you then use them to fling at enemies, so it is even better if you make good use of spacial awareness.

he showed that you can just stand still and mindless enemies will shoot and run around aimlessly without even challenging you at all. I reeeeeally hope Control isn't like that

From what I've seen of it, I don't believe it is. The game doesn't seem afraid to kill the player. I think it might be a little generous with a "respond" mechanic where it'll let you live through something that should've killed you with a sliver of health left, but if you don't get out of dodge in that state, it will kill you pretty quick. Even the blandest enemies seem to make conscious effort to overwhelm the player.

• @mbun

Well that’s the answer I was hoping for. Phew!

• Words
    Words
    Words
    Words

Holy shit Control and Alan Wake are set in the same universe

• @dmcmaster Spoiler tags dont work in previews so that post spoils anyone casually browsing Unread. Always add a Spoiler Buffer if you're going to post spoilers.

• @hazz3r
    Completely forgot about that, have changed it