Lowest Rated Game This Gen That You Enjoyed

• @dipset said:

I read a user review of Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines recently that complained that there were cutscenes and games shouldn't have cinematics or story because that's what movies are for. There is usually a solid hint of sarcasm or malice I find in user stuff.

How blunt they often are makes it super easy to catch the vibe of the people writing them, and when you can't do that you have so many others to cross reference it against quickly and easily to see if it is an outlier complaint or a real issue with the game.

At least a workplace sort of forces you to write with a certain standard of care.

Strangely, the fluff around their raw impressions sometimes gets in the way.

@bard91 Without turning this topic completely about this, because I totally could, I think most who have played through the series would agree Explorers of Sky is the best story any Pokemon game has ever had by a longshot. By comparison, Rescue Team is a little rough around the edges from a mechanics standpoint as the first entry, but Explorers is when they really mastered the formula. Easy recommendation if you enjoyed Rescue Team. After Explorers they later made some Wiiware titles that never got translated which are apparently really bad, then for 3DS they made an awful game called Gates to Infinity which I do not recommend, but then after that they redeemed themselves with Super Mystery Dungeon which is very good and I would recommend. You probably still want to check out Explorers of Sky first though. Also the soundtracks for all the above mentioned games (except the Wiiware ones) are tens, even Gates to Infinity. Don't let critic reviews scare you off.

• @el-shmiablo

I didn't realize it launched without the single player "GT League" or whatever its called. My step dad got it at launch and I don't even think he had PS+ so I have no idea what he was doing on there.

I'll still argue that its the best driving in a game to date, and the overall game is better than GT5 or GT6 for trimming down the car selection. Maybe it was too slim at launch, but the focus on true Gran Turismo cars/race cars has made the better game. I rarely drive anything other than Gr. 3 or Gr. 4 racecars. I might drive a 1997 Toyota Supra for fun here and there or do a one-make Beetle race, but the bread and butter of this game is online racing with racecars.

I THINK (despite not playing it at launch) the score should be a little higher than 75/100 based on quality online racing and gameplay alone.

• @dipset I hope this is the model of future GT games. Focusing on quality instead of quantity and updating the game regularly with new content. I think it really fits the work ethic of Polyphony Digital, I feel like they would benefit so much from making just one game per console then continuing to updating it like this.

• @bam541

Completely agree.

GT6 was good but it felt like a hangover from GT5 which was basically New Years 1999. Their dev cycle for that game was so long and they released two GT5-lite games before finally releasing GT5 proper. Then a few years later we got prettier graphics in GT6 when they could have just been making Sport the whole time.

I don't know what their studio functions like but things take Polyphony a loooooong time so I agree that small updates and a healthy but streamlined dose of circuits and cars at launch can carry a whole 5-7 year generation.

• I'm the one person that loves Fallout 76. It just makes the Wasteland feel all the more lonely, which is appropriate.

• Castlevania Lords of Shadow, don't @ me.
    Killer soundtrack, GoW-style hack-n-slash gameplay, and massive boss fights. It was the perfect game for me at that point in my life.

• @naltmank that was the previous gen

• @naltmank Previous gen, but will agree.
    Also, playing the game with all health bars and damage displays active makes it feel more like a CV. Really enjoyed my time with it.

• Back, because I finally thought of a real answer to the question of this topic. Super Bomberman R has a much deserved 62 on Metacritic, given it was low-budget yet overpriced hot garbage at launch, but they've since fixed the majority of the issues with the game and done tons of free content updates with lots of fun crossover characters with unique abilities and even added a new world for the campaign, a whole original new mode for multiplayer, and many new maps. I still wouldn't recommend it for $50, but if you can find it on sale for $20-30 or less I'd say bite if you like Bomberman, especially if you want to play Bomberman locally with friends.

I don't know if it was rushed or just the saddest little budget was given to it before launch, but it was one of the rougher games in recent history I can think of. Was 30 FPS but is now thankfully a solid 60. Had horrible camera angles but now there's multiple good options for that. They were using a free movement system at launch that made navigating the grid levels feel extremely weird and bad and wrong, but they patched that back to directional movement to give back the classic Bomberman feel needed for high level play while only keeping the free movement for the campaign boss arena battles where it makes more sense. The humanoid bosses in the campaign were completely unbalanced at launch and played like masterful expert robots, but they've toned those down so they're not only beatable through exploiting AI loopholes anymore. The currency needed to continue when you died during the campaign and how much it rewarded for beating worlds was completely out of whack and brutal as hell, but now it is much more forgiving and easier to earn in-game currency to buy in-game shop unlocks. Thankfully, there's no microtransactions and never were any for this game.

The game surely exceeded expectations, honestly in large part to being a Switch launch title, and it seems Konami loosened the strings on the coinpurse for the old Hudson Soft devs they hired to work on it after seeing such success. Game later got ported to everything else, including PC, with exclusive crossover characters for every platform. While it still isn't even close to the best the Bomberman series has ever been, the niche following is just happy to have classic Bomberman back period. Doing any research beforehand you could kind of tell it wasn't going to be the best game, but I'm still glad I bought it Day 1, and I hope this leads to more Bomberman games in the future. It would be great to see them do another adventure style one.

Clearly Bomberman doesn't carry the explosive clout he had back during the 90s to early 00s anymore these days as he only made it into Super Smash Bros. as an assist trophy, but he's still a gaming icon nonetheless! I still believe there's a place in the industry for the character and the style of games. Super Bomberman R at launch was a stumble, but they caught themselves enough to at least support the fans who bought it, so hopefully all this will lead to another game that they can properly knock out of the park from launch and remind people why all this used to be so popular.

• Oh shit I didn't read the gen part. My bad.

• @mbun I love myself some Bomberman and have just been waiting for a good sale on R to pick it up. Glad to hear they fixed all that stuff.

Also just throwing it out there that Bomberman Hero has the greatest soundtrack of all time.

Youtube Video

• Looking at Metacritic, it would appear to be Syberia 3 and Homefront: Revolution. I'm just glad I pay the site no attention to be honest.

• @sheria I actually bought Homefront Revolution at the recommendation of another forumite, and after seeing the huge amount of fixes they made to the game in Digital Foundry comparisons.
    Haven't had a chance to try it though. Might give it a go soon.

• @el-shmiablo said in Lowest Rated Game This Gen That You Enjoyed:

@sheria I actually bought Homefront Revolution at the recommendation of another forumite, and after seeing the huge amount of fixes they made to the game in Digital Foundry comparisons.

I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it, the shooting is solid and the game paces itself really well for an open world game. There's definitely some repetition there, but I found it addictive none the less; it made me keen to take over all territories anyway. Give it a shot, It might not be award winning, but I think it'll surprise you.

• I cant think any low rated game i enjoyed this gen. because i dont consider 7/10 a low.

@sheria said in Lowest Rated Game This Gen That You Enjoyed:

@el-shmiablo said in Lowest Rated Game This Gen That You Enjoyed:

@sheria I actually bought Homefront Revolution at the recommendation of another forumite, and after seeing the huge amount of fixes they made to the game in Digital Foundry comparisons.

I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it, the shooting is solid and the game paces itself really well for an open world game. There's definitely some repetition there, but I found it addictive none the less; it made me keen to take over all territories anyway. Give it a shot, It might not be award winning, but I think it'll surprise you.

homefront is unfinished and broken. it could have been good if made by some better developer rather than haze developers.

Youtube Video

im surpried you like it.

• @b-cell said in Lowest Rated Game This Gen That You Enjoyed:

I cant think any low rated game i enjoyed this gen. because i dont consider 7/10 a low.

@sheria said in Lowest Rated Game This Gen That You Enjoyed:

@el-shmiablo said in Lowest Rated Game This Gen That You Enjoyed:

homefront is unfinished and broken. it could have been good if made by some better developer rather than haze developers.

Youtube Video

im surpried you like it.

I picked it up day one, but played quite a bit later. I didn't receive any big issues at all myself, in fact it all played really smoothly.

• @iboshow lol my bad. I'm still living in last gen.