Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch)

• What's that? Nobody else is going to make this topic so I have to? Doesn't this forum have a regular literally named Yoshi?
    Youtube Video

Release Date: March 29th, 2019
    Official Site

Yoshi heads on a new adventure in this new action platforming game coming to Nintendo Switch. Explore a great big world decorated like a miniature diorama, look for items throughout the stages and team up with a friend in a new art style for the franchise.

"Lead Yoshi on a brand new adventure that will turn everything you’ve come to expect from side-scrolling games upside down! Explore a great, big world decorated like a miniature diorama in a new art style for the franchise, where each side-scrolling stage has the traditional front side as well as a flip side with different views and surprises. Look for items throughout the stage as Yoshi makes his way to the goal. You can even join up with a friend!"

Media selection in order of release. Be wary of "spoilers" the further down you go.
    Reveal TrailerEZA ReactionTreehouse GameplayDemo TrailerMain Theme
    GameXplain Event PreviewDigital Foundry AnalysisJapanese Overview Trailer
    GameXplain Review Copy PreviewGameXplain Amiibo Costumes + Labo Toycon

• Jones was probably coming in and deleting the threads about this game.

The demo was fun enough. Played it with the wife and we both enjoyed it. We also loved Wooly World and I love Yoshi's Island so this will be an auto-buy...just not on day 1.

• Ohhh didn't realize a demo was out. I don't exactly intend on playing this anytime soon but giving the demo a whirl won't hurt.

• A total buy. while these games are not the most difficult thing in the world, I am always charmed by the music and the design. This was no different. Loved the demo

• Day one for me, it's going to be a super chill co-op game to play with my girlfriend, we played a bit of Woolly World together and she loved it.

And then I guess I'll do a second pass on my own to get all the collectibles cause she can't be bothered!

• @mazer Early word is that the difficulty on this one actually ramps up after the first world closer to the original Yoshi's Island rather than cakewalk Wooly World. You've still got Mellow Mode you can switch to at any time for infinite flying and they've added "armor" Yoshi can wear that absorbs different numbers of hits they would take, so you've got options to tweak it to be easier if that's how you want it. Sounds like the music might not be the best, people only seeing 20 tracks in the sound test, and they're all riffs off the main theme, which is unfortunate. Least you seemed to enjoy the main theme, so hopefully not a dealbreaker.

@Axel Think you'll have a great time, because it sounds like this one is made for more casually going through once before going back later a bunch of times to hunt extra collectibles. Personally I wish you could get the quests before going through a level already to cut down the needed backtracking a little, but maybe they didn't want to spoil the player on what they'd see? Least you get the prompt to exit a level immediately when you fulfill a quest's conditions.

People with review copies have been saying levels are extremely different from one another and there's lots more of them than you'd expect, so that's what has me excited, because I assumed the uniqueness of every level would mean the game would be on the shorter side. I think Yoshi games have been suffering a lack of new creativity problem since Yoshi's Island DS, but this one seems to finally be introducing new locations, new interesting enemy types, and new game mechanic ideas. Also, you apparently have lots of freedom of choosing what levels you want to play in what order after the first world, so that's a cool change compared to the traditional one world after the next straight path.

If nothing else Crafted World appears to be a unique Yoshi game, still carrying a little from every game before it, but actually hatching lots of new ideas to significantly toss the classic formula up for the first time in over two decades, and that's enough to make my heart flutter in excitement.

• Is this the Wii U game?

• @iboshow No, it is a completely new game.

• @mbun said in Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch):

but actually hatching lots of new ideas to significantly toss the classic formula up for the first time in over two decades, and that's enough to make my heart flutter in excitement.

I see what you did there!

• clearly GOTY

• @mbun said in Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch):

Doesn't this forum have a regular literally named Yoshi?

GT was so much better than this place. i rarely post on EA compared to how often i used to post on GT. this place is just boring compared to the old GT.

• I was replaying the demo just to feel out the game some more in various areas, (ground pound strength, ease of flutter jumps, comboing, etc.) and I noticed something else new they haven't mentioned in any of the promotions for this game.

In all Yoshi games up until this point, except Wooly World because you had yarn balls in that game instead of eggs, Yoshi would usually get green eggs by swallowing enemies or with other means you obtain eggs. If you ricocheted those eggs off a surface and then quickly licked them to get them back they would turn into yellow eggs which would give you coins if you hit an enemy with them. If you ricocheted them a second time before hitting an enemy with them they would give you red eggs that would cause hearts to drop when enemies are hit with them. (or rarely the game would give you red eggs that acted as red coins if you hit enemies with them) It isn't exactly something the game taught you, but that's mostly how it has always been since the original Yoshi's Island.

But in Crafted World, they've finally added a new egg type to the mix, gray eggs! If you ricochet a green egg THREE times (that is once more after getting a red one) now the egg color will change to gray, and these eggs when used to hit an enemy do something pretty niche but cool. They give you three more green eggs! That means you can now infinite spawn eggs back to full as long as you carefully ricochet your last egg until it is gray and have enemies to hit with the gray eggs, meaning in situations in previous games where you were out of eggs and had to find enemies to eat or other ways to replenish them, you now have an extra advanced option to get them back. It probably won't be the most useful addition to the game, but I appreciate the added touch in a game already doing so much to break Yoshi out of the formulaic rut it has been in for the past two decades.

• @mbun I had no idea you could do that in previous games, it would have made it so much easier to finish levels with max hearts!!

• @axel I think they added these indicators when hovering over enemies it works on to make it more clear to people too.

• Was talking with a friend about how stuff like autoswallow speeds up the gameplay considerately for speedrunners. I wish you could manually target foreground and background, but the autosnap also makes that faster for speedrunners.
    Youtube Video