ALL ACCESS THREAD - How Video Games Are Made

• @bam541 Unsalted: Among Chives

• Cool facts about inFamous. There's a hoverboard-esque mechanic once, that would be fun to include in future games.

• @bam541 Very few games are as fun to simply move around in as Infamous. Hope we get another one after Tsushima.

• @el-shmiablo It's unlikely if Tsushima does well, but I would want a new Infamous too. Still lots of potential there, especially with new kinds of powers being thrown into the mix.

• Bluepoint dev talking about SoTC remake.

Youtube Video

Check out the other Audio Log videos too. More cool stuff in there.

• I still have to catch up on the other things people have been posting above, but in a short (30 min) E3 episode of Kotaku Splitscreen, Jason talks with Larian and Wizards of the Coast about Baldur's Gate III.

They also talk a lot of insider baseball of Divinity Original Sin II and reference a GDC talk which I'll also add here:

https://art19.com/shows/kotaku-splitscreen/episodes/1f188c51-4594-42d9-a255-7d2f528ad8bc
    0_1560804441822_cc14bba2-bbd4-4cac-8106-fbba351c8e71-image.png

Youtube Video

FYI, there have been some other good E3 2019 episodes of Splitscreen with CD Projekt and more.

• The New Animations Of Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare

Youtube Video

I actually love ground up animation work that doesn't just reference video or mocap to a tee so this is pretty awesome. COD has always had some top tier animations.

• Joe Rogan Experience - JOHN CARMACK

Youtube Video

Legendary game developer, computer programmer, co-founder of id Software, and all round pioneer in the world of technology; JOHN CARMACK has a very lengthy conversation with Joe Rogan.

This is extremely interesting. A lot of it is speculative about the future, but a lot of it covers the past and present of technology including video games.

• Programming at id Software
    • History of Quake, DOOM, Wolf development
    • VR technology
    • Explaining issues in designing VR software and hardware
    • more... so much more

I feel like conversations like this are few and far between. How often is a big time company executive this honest about the tech industry while still in a position of power? I know we all want to hear about DOOM and Quake, but I think his perspective on tech companies positioning their businesses in the market is the most interesting. Like how he talks about VR companies giving him pitches in the early-90s or how 5G companies aren't offering much value to the market, etc.

Its a marathon, but we are the crowd who still wants that 5 hour Frame Trap soooo...

• Bandai-Namco Studios office: While this is a very general piece just to show those that don't know anything about programming a brief inside glance at the subject matter, I still found the working environment and social structure bits interesting.

The game/console library is cool

Youtube Video

• @tokyoslim I like how the guy just casually meets the directors of Code Vein and Tekken 7.

• Thanks for introducing me to that channel, it has other interesting videos about daily life in Japan.

• @thedemonpirate I think it's probably a little bit pre-arranged and not as casual as it seems in the video, but yeah. It's a cool little behind the scenes!

@IronGrey Yeah, Paolo has been doing a bunch of these day-in-the-life videos that are pretty cool, though some of them aren't as representative as it may sound. "day in the life of an average japanese office worker" the subject works at a very western tech firm with like, upper tier modern office amenities like a goat petting zoo and an in-building convenience store and bakery. Still though, it's cool to be able to see what's out there - even if it' not "average".

• @TokyoSlim that's what I watched after, then in the comments there's a clarification about it. I never take anything at facevalue, though. It's cool to see these videos anyway, they're interesting and it doesn't mean that we should extrapolate from them.