Judgement (PS4)

• @hidz said in Judgement (PS4):

@dmcmaster

The Alzheimer's plot, my dad had it and passed away almost three years ago

I'm sorry to hear, know it's not something easy to see or witness.

• Just got to chapter 3. Liking it so far. Tailing missions are medium boring, but that's really the only negative I've got with it so far. Side missions so far are a bit light, and encountering roving bands of thugs and whatnot seem to be less frequent - but I feel like I'm still ramping up in terms of story, so maybe there will be more of that later.

I haven't really mastered the combat yet. Still mostly using the square/triangle Yakuza combat brute force combo. Currently unlocking and playing around a little with wall jumping and leapfrogging mechanics, but I've had to use several medkits already, as sometimes I try to block when I should be dodging. So there is familiar combat, but it's also different enough to where I, a person who's very familiar with previous RGG games combat, is still not an expert at this system.

Game seems more monetarily tuned than in the past. Cash drops from enemies seem less frequent than in past games, but not enough so that it's an issue . I'm not struggling to get by or anything, but I am supposed to be a detective not a baller Yakuza, and it more or less feels that way.

I did have to go do some side quests to pull together 100k (ended up with like 280k by the time it happened). I feel like in Y6 or YK2 I would have had a million yen by now.

Friends system hasn't paid any dividends yet. I'm mostly making friends with Poppo employees though, since I wanted the special records for my office. So maybe I have to fight someone in a Poppo for that to matter?

The story and characters are great so far. The current antagonist is a super big piece of shit and it's been a while since someone treated the main in an RGG game with this much contempt. Probably early Yakuza 0, when Kiryu was a nobody.

Kamurocho is, as usual, subtly different while keeping all the main landmarks around. Yagami is skinny and can fit into all the little nooks and crannies that Kiryu couldn't. The parkour and chase missions are mostly well done. Unless you hate QuickTime events, I guess.

So far, it's definitely an 8. There's a whole lot of stuff I haven't even started doing yet though. I can tell this is a full sized game.

• I'm also in Chapter 3 at the moment, 10 hrs in. During this chapter I've started to do lots of side cases, almost ten down, I think. Some ridiculous ones in there but also more serious cases. Good variety. The one with Sana-chan evolved in a credible way, I liked that.

I've also begun to form friendships all over the city, mostly in dining places. It's a really neat feeling when you start to have a some kind of relationship to certain people here and there, step by step. And just in general as well the city's starting to gradually feel like "my place" now. Streets get more familiar and Yagami feels more like a part of everything. I love all these connections I'm making everywhere to everyone.

• Nagoshi is one of the coolest 54 year olds ever.
    When I'm 54 I'm gonna be napping in a lazy boy while Jeopardy is on.

• I'm a little bit into the second chapter so far, and I've yet to be all that impressed by it. It feels like a lot of the things I've enjoyed in the series to now are not present. The vending machines are no longer accesible, there's no karaoke, and I'm legit thinking that Yagami's pinball machine is rigged, lol.

• Chapter 7: 29 hours in

I take back what I said about there being less thug encounters. lol
    There's plenty. I didn't realize that Dice and Cube is the cash farm in this game until just now.

• So this happened on my second playthrough

<3 Dragon engine pshycics

• Saori-san in Chapter 7...

alt text

• just hit chapter 12
    46 hours

• @tokyoslim Is there Mahjong?

• @billy I'm pretty sure I saw it. I haven't really messed with Mahjong. Got wrecked in Shogi yesterday on a date tho.

• Finished the main story last night. This was my first Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio game and boy, did I enjoy this! A great new path opened up for me with Judgment. I basically liked the game from beginning to the end. From like Chapter 9 onwards I followed the main story only because it hooked me in such a way. The game showed me 43 hours after completing the story, but I'll definitely still return to Kamurocho to finish all the side quests, make more friends and to check out whether it'll be possible for me to maybe 100 % this.

I really liked how the script built up the story, it felt like practically everything had to do with everything. There was a solid amount of "side paths" along the way that still in the end turned out to be important and/or otherwise fleshed out the story's moments at that particular point. A really enjoyable crime story all in all, even a thriller at times, and I loved the presentation of all the conversations and important revelation moments etc. Intriguing to follow, and often just nicely dramatic. I enjoyed this package a lot!

Yagami evolved into a great character throughout the story, more likable every step. I appreciated going into his past and all that, it made him more complete and played well into the story. Kaito-san was an incredible trusty pillar of strenght and companionship and I really liked Crispin Freeman as his voice actor. (Yep, played in English.) Hamura was a delicious character, so to speak, and Fred Tatasciore really nailed that role. Higashi become also one of my favourites. And Shintani, too, a really solid character. And just in general I liked all the names a lot, memorable stuff. Matsugane Family, Emi Terasawa, Shinpei Okubo, Genda-sensei. I won't name them all because of the plot and its many surprises, but yeah, a bunch of well-written and "real" characters.

So yeah. I spent the last two and a half weeks running around Kamurocho as Yagami-san and liked it A LOT. A really memorable experience. I know there are like seven Yakuza games out there waiting to be played if I'd so desire. We'll see. In any case Judgment is now currently my GOTY 2019.

• I have been too tired to finish this recently. Still in the beginning of chapter 12.

@Sentinel-Beach glad to hear you liked it so much! Y0 is calling your name!

• @Sentinel-Beach I'm glad you enjoyed Judgment, welcome to the awesomeness of RGG Studio games! You should give the Yakuza series a chance, you'll love it as much as Judgment, I promise you!

• @sentinel-beach truly the best girl.
    Sadly dating isn't more what I hoped for so far. And I took most pic with her even if she probably won't be option for it.
    I'm at chapter 8 I think. Side stories a te r mostly ok thus far but as Kiryu or Majima I was more invested in some.

• These girlfriend story arcs are really good. I just finished the one with Nanami and wow, this one actually got me emotional, like really. Powerful stuff.

• @sentinel-beach sadly after they become your girlfriend their importance is shallow and options to do stuff is nothing worth mentioning.

• Goddamn mahjong. I just don't understand this. Trying to win that wareme rule thing to get my last and 50th friend.

• @sentinel-beach Yeah mahjong is pain, but once you learn it, it's pretty fun.

First off, don't try to steal any tiles, it prevents you from activating riichi(press square when it's your turn). What I'm trying to do is to go for doubles or triples of the same tile from 1-9 with different colors, I'm usually ignoring the winds and dragons unless I've a triple of single one.

I'm not an expert of Mahjong and someone else here can probably explain a better strategy than mine, but that's what I'm doing and I'm usually getting riichi most of the times.

Example