Cadence of Hyrule (Switch)

• Youtube Video

Since I never played Crypt of the Necrodancer I'm not too sure what the gameplay will feel like, but it looks gorgeous, and here's more info about the game:

• A rhythmic action-adventure game in the world of The Legend of Zelda series
    • Explore the randomly generated overworld and dungeons to save Hyrule as Link or Princess Zelda
    • Use items from The Legend of Zelda series, plus spells and weapons from Crypt of the NecroDancer
    • Outstep legendary enemies and bosses in rhythmic combat
    • Keep the beat with 25 remixed classic The Legend of Zelda tunes

I'm in, I guess?

• @axel Exactly my response

• "Crypt of the Necrodancer" is some of the most fun I have had in a rhythm-based game. I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't yet, its price can get pretty low in Steam and PlayStation Store sales.

• Global Moderator

That was a lovely little surprise. I loved what I saw of crypt but never picked it up... this I'm very tempted by.

• I have been enjoying everything about Crypt, including the various remixed soundtracks they released with alllll the amazing artists, and the original soundtrack by Danny Baranowsky. It's a fun, but difficult game that just sounds amaaaaazing. This has me super excited.

I think the game and all of it's various soundtracks are worth every penny at full price.

• Crypt of Necrodancer is absolutely superb. Very recommended. I need to redownload that game.

• This is exactly the correct amount of weird.

• So I picked this up and finished it in a couple days, it's pretty short (3-4 hours), but it's all killer no filler. A condensed 2D Zelda game with a unique twist, I was addicted by the end of it. Should be quite replayable, and I haven't tried co-op yet.

If you like NecroDancer and/or Zelda, you'll most certainly like this. It took me a while for the game to click, about an hour before I felt like I fully knew what I was doing, and after that I was cruising.

If you're worried about it being a roguelike, don't be. The game is very generous with its permanent upgrades, there's a new item or piece of heart on almost every screen, and you only lose rupees and bombs/arrows when you die. There's tons of fast travel portals, so you can quickly get back to a fairy pond after dying and fill your bottles. Honestly after you've acquired a certain amount of items it's unlikely you'll ever die again, so the difficulty curve is kind of inverted, I actually felt OP by the end.

Maybe worth waiting for a sale if you don't think you'll want to do multiple playthroughs, but I don't regret my purchase, it's a very sweet little game!

• @axel said:

If you're worried about it being a roguelike, don't be.

Unlike the original COTN, which is brutal brutal brutal.

• @axel Hearing that it's not a rouge like makes me feel so much better about it. I was terrible at the first game, and I often enjoy rouge likes, but I just got stuck in the original NecroDancer. Acquiring items and keeping them is what I was hoping for, glad to hear you enjoyed it.