Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 (PC/PS4/XBO - 2020)

• Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 (PC/PS4/XBO - 2020)

Youtube Video

Publisher Paradox Interactive purchased White Wolf Publishing’s assets in 2015, including the World of Darkness setting which Vampire the Masquerade is set in. The team at Hardsuit Labs has been working on a proper sequel (or, as they call it a “true descendant”) of the cult classic. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 is awash with vampiric intrigue and blood and appears to live up to its pedigree.

Kotaku pre-alpha preview

https://kotaku.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-is-getting-a-sequel-1833479366

“You want to capture the essence of a location. Rather than an open world with a lot of stuff but not a lot going on block for block,” lead narrative designer Brian Mitsoda explained. Mitsoda designed and wrote story for the first game, and has been guiding Bloodline 2’s voice and tone. “It’s making sure that the player isn’t walking for a while with nothing to do.”

Announcement Keynote - Paradox Interactive

Youtube Video

Paradox has come out the gate swinging with a very controlled interview with key figures on the development team. Despite the regulated nature of this interview, we get to know some key info about the game

Gameplay Trailer Extended E3 2019
    Youtube Video

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Full Gameplay Demo - E3 2019

Youtube Video

To reiterate what I said in the That's News! Thread - I exited Steam having played Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, then 2 seconds later I see this announcement. I've been talking about how badly I want a sequel all month to whoever will listen to me. Never did I expect a sequel announcement 14 years later.

With the original director neck deep in The Outer Worlds, I was skeptical by seeing a novice studio is developing this game, but please read the Kotaku preview where they clearly show that Brian Mitsoda the lead narrative designer of the original is guiding this sequel.

I'll keep this thread as updated as possible but please help me out and I'll add media to the OP.

• I've always been interested in playing the first game, don't know if I actually will but I'm super excited to see this and really hope it turns out well

• @bard91

Take the plunge into the original game. It doesn't even feel dated in the "unplayable" sense once you warm up. It's $6 on GOG right now.

Just make sure to download the Unofficial Patch and install Patch Plus. Then the game runs anywhere from its original resolution to 4K without any hiccups. They added in a lot of the unfinished content, they mitigate most glitches (the only one I've suffered is getting suck in a door), and you're in for a classic cRPG with one of the most original story/lore scenarios I've ever played.

Take it from a first time player in 2019 - this game is GOOD. I rarely take the deep dive into a video game these days, but I am 20 hours deep and only in the second area of the game. I'm consulting the Vampire Wiki to make sure I've done the sidequest clean up before moving on. The sub-plots are some of the most engaging I've played.

To paint a picture for you or anybody else who is curious: Bloodlines has a very unique take on Vampire literature. Rather than the usual take, the "World of Darkness" take on Vampires is a stylish neo-noir where a hidden society of vampires known as the Camarilla uphold this Masquerade for vampires to hide in plain sight among the masses. This masquerade, to the Camarilla, is beneficial to the well being of a supernatural monsters survival. Within this masquerade are different factions with different beliefs and within these factions are different bloodlines (starter classes). Each class has a place in vampire society and unique aesthetic. For example, Ventrue are aristocrats while Nosferatu are so vile they need to parade around in sewers and shadows. You can play as either and your gameplay experience will differ tremendously.

The aesthetic is like a Tarantino film, the writing is kinda like that too. Some characters look "cool" and stylish like a Pulp Fiction character such as the bartender at Club Confession (a church turned nightclub), while some characters might look like they are pulled straight from a Batman comic with a Harley Quinn-like club owner calling shots in Santa Monica. Some vampires are grotesque like a Werner Herzog take, while some look so intensely stylish they could fit in naturally in with Neo and Trinity in The Matrix. The music can be industrial nu-metal like Marilyn Manson, while the menu music is trip hop by blatantly using Mass Attack's "Angel".

TLDR; Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines oozes style between its look, the dialogue, and the use of music to sell you on this neo-noir semi-open world. A lot of the DNA for this game ended up in the Bethesda Fallout games, and if you like Fallout 3 or especially New Vegas, I think you should check this out before the sequel releases in 2020.

• Announcement Keynote - Paradox Interactive

Youtube Video

Paradox has come out the gate swinging with a very controlled interview with key figures on the development team. Despite the regulated nature of this interview, we get to know some key info about the game:

• It's been in development for around three years
    • Combat is thorough
    • It takes place in a proper depiction of Seattle
    • Lead writer from the original plus a narrative writer from Dishonored 2 is working on this
    • See more in video

• @dipset I'll make no promises, and I won't play it soon since right now I'm focused on catching up to the Trails games, but I'll consider it and try to put it high on the backlog list.

• Vampires vs Hipster Vegans, who will win

• Fingerless gloves?

• @bard91

Well, you don't have to appease me aha. I'm just trying to provide some insight for you or anybody who may not know about this series. I know a lot of people speak fondly of it but even based on a YouTube search, not thaaaaat many people have played it.

I'm just trying to give some context and hopefully squash any fears people might have when playing an old game.

• @dmcmaster I think you're missing the fact that a lot of those vampires could be hipsters too.
    I sorta look forward to playing a hipster vampire who only feeds on vegans.

• Really looking forward to people who never played the original games complaining that this one is too political.

Oh wait.

0_1553299093631_1553290256626.jpg

Did my birthday come early?

• @el-shmiablo

Where do people come up with this shit. Reminds me of the response to the new "End of The World" flash animation and people are like "leftist political bias bullshit". Because the original wasn't politically motivated?

Politics is everywhere.

• @el-shmiablo I swear, bullshit like this will be a brain cancer risk factor in the future. Wait, maybe it already is.

• @dipset At a point you just get used to it.
    My favorite is when people say comic books should stop trying to be so political these days, like the X-Men haven't always been a blatant allegory for racism in America.
    It is just the Conservative mindset of wanting things to be "like the good old days" while ignoring that they have always been highly politicized but just didn't have the internet to remind them of it.

Like seriously, watch dudes have an aneurism when they mention Trump in the new game, despite all the mentions of the Bush administration in VtMB1.

• NoClip has 15 new documentaries coming in 2019. You can see the full list and give feedback on what they release. Check out their Patreon post here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/gdc-2019-who-did-25558581

I'm most excited for:
    Brian Mitsoda (Hardsuit Labs) & Christian Schlütter (Paradox)
    The Return of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Youtube Video

• Youtube Video

The Return of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    By NoClip

• 0_1556808633337_1ebfd2d8-d3f4-4314-a605-a49e662cd1fd-image.png

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-detail-from-our-first-look-at-vampire-the-masqueradebloodlines-2/

0_1556808902290_a402968e-9c99-4219-9da1-4996749fb0a3-image.png

https://www.pcgamer.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-brujah-reveal/?jwsource=cl

alt text

The Bloodlines 2 team will be hosting a Brujah breakdown on the Paradox Interactive Twitch channel at 9 am PT today, so give that a watch to find out more.

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

• This is just recreating my 1997 in a video game.

• @tokyoslim Man, Canada's a weird place.

• @naltmank Seattle isn't in Canada, eh.

• @tokyoslim Oh balls, I always thought you were based in Canada for some reason. My b.