The APRIL Video Game Madness Bracket

• Oblivion beat Shadow of the Colossus? It seems I need to vomit now.

• This is going in directions I only thought possible in the craziest of timelines. We're in one, I guess.

• We're now down to the Elite Eight! Let's see who the participants are:

Quadrant 1's finalists are 16.) Okami and 2.) The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt, and they beat 4.) Super Mario World 9-5 and 14.) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 9-3, respectively and quite easily.

The Quadrant 4 final will be between 5.) Half-Life 2 and 6.) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker as they beat the upstarts 16.) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 8-6 and 10.) Diablo II 8-4.

For Quadrant 2, we have, in my opinion, the most shocking outcomes of this round: 13.) DOOM (1993) sent our final top seed, 1.) The Last of Us out in a dominating 10-5 fashion, whereas 2.) Metal Gear Solid took down the game I thought would win it all in 3.) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, in a tight 7-6 decision.

In the final Quadrant (3), 8.) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion took down prior bracket's Cinderella 12.) Portal 2 7-5, while 2.) Super Mario Bros. 3 edged out 11.) A Link to the Past 8-7.

So now, let's vote to determine the Quadrant Champions in our overall Quarterfinals and our Final Four! See ya in two days.

QUADRANT 1 CHAMPIONSHIP
    16. Okami vs. 2. The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt

QUADRANT 4 CHAMPIONSHIP
    5. Half-Life 2 vs. 6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

QUADRANT 2 CHAMPIONSHIP
    13. DOOM (1993) vs. 2. Metal Gear Solid

QUADRANT 3 CHAMPIONSHIP
    8. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion vs. 2. Super Mario Bros. 3

• I am equally surprised and ecstatic that Oblivion has made it this far. The next step is the final 4!

• When all the games in the bracket are so good, we all win, right? No!

Sour grapes and sweet surprise still remain, and favorites and foes rise and fall with stunning alclarity and equal acrimony! We cheer and weep with each rounds results as destiny's grasp tightens as we whittle down to the one we call "champion"!

• Doom is basically flawless. I hope it faces off against Geralt in the finals.

• Ladies and gentlemen, we have our quadrant champions!

From Quadrant 1, the unequivocal, inarguable, longest shot and biggest Cinderella, 16.) Okami has made it to the Final Four, beating out 2.) The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt 7-6. Remember: it was literally 64 of 64 in making the field, beating out the likes of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (The number ONE game in), and survived a quadrant that had games such as Bloodborne, Mass Effect, World of Warcraft, and GTA: Vice City.

It's opponent, and the Quadrant 4 Champion, is 6.) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker who defeated 5.) Half-Life 2 10-7. This was my favorite bracket heading in because of all the big games here: Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy VII, Super Mario 64, Pokemon G/S/C, FF Tactics, Skyrim, KOTOR, RE 2 (1998), Kingdom Hearts, and Symphony of the Night. What a bracket.

On the opposite side, Quadrant 2's champion is another big name that didn't match its seed: 13.) DOOM (1993), which won decidedly against 2.) Metal Gear Solid 9-4. Of the four matchups, this had the biggest name power, but the largest difference. The Last of Us, Persona 4, FF IX, RDR, Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, GTA V.... None could rip and tear through the quadrant like the classic did.

The final Quadrant champion is 2.) Super Mario Bros 3., as it put away 8.) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 7-6. While Oblivion had several surprising wins, in a section that had Chrono Trigger, Uncharted 4, Snake Eater, the original Pokemon, FF VI, and Portal 2, none could conquer the most beloved NES platformer.

So now we've come to our overall Semifinals. Which two games will meet in the final winner take all vote? You have the power to decide. You have two days.

FINAL FOUR
    16. Okami vs. 6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    13. DOOM (1993) vs. 2. Super Mario Bros. 3

• Go for the win, Ammy!
    alt text

• As someone who is currently playing through Okami for the first time, I absolutely approve of how well it's doing.

• The Finals, as determined by you, is as follows:

16. Okami vs. 2. Super Mario Bros.

Okami won its match against Wind Waker pretty easily (8-4), while SMB 3 needed a come from behind snipe vote win to take down DOOM (1993) (7-6).

With this final vote, this thread will end in two days, and with it, we'll take a look back. But before then we must go forward. Which is best? You decide.

• I platinumed Okami on spring 2013 on PS3. A wonderful game. Long as hell, too, but still a cool and unique case. I'm riding with Ammy on this one.

• And we have our winner! The April Bracket champion is...

16.) OKAMI!!!!

By defeating 2.) Super Mario Bros. 3 8-7, it secures its place as champ.

Let's take a look at it's path to glory:

1.) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    9.) Mass Effect
    4.) Super Mario World
    2.) The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt
    6.) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    2.) Super Mario Bros. 3

Looking back, I think it's funny to say Zelda nor Mario can stand up to Amaterasu!

As always, thanks again for participating. I promise, I don't have another, but for the two I did have, you made it fun. Until the next thread/game/whatever!