Pick the Year for our next Retro GOTY!

• Hey everyone,

I'm planning to launch a new Retro GOTY election in about 2 weeks, and I thought it would be better to let you pick which year we should tackle.

Just reply to this post with your preference(s) and hopefully a favorite will emerge. It can be any year we haven't done yet, so anything before 2014, except 2000.

For those who don't know what these elections are, we all secretly vote for our favorite games of a specific year and I later reveal the Top 25, one game a day, to great dramatic effect! You can check out the threads in the Hall of Fame.

Thanks!

P.S. It's dumb that I need to write at least 8 characters for reply.

• 2002 looks fun.

• Objectively the best year in gaming, 1996.

• 2004 or 2013

I don't have many favorites for 2001, 2002 or 2003. I just wasn't playing many video games around that time. I'm good with any other years.

• the year 1978

• I'd be happy with

• 2006, the last days of PS2, and the next gen is pushing through
    • 2009, it's been 10 years, some of my all-time favourites there
    • 2013, let's just go backwards from the years we've already gone through

• 2007 would be great. I remember it being lauded as the best year for gaming at the time.

• 1993 ye!

• @sentinel-beach I also like 2013. Then we can fix the atrocity that was Last of Us beating GTA V.

• We can go a variety of ways and they would all be entertaining:

2013 - I've had this in my mind for awhile, especially since it's a year I would actually have a substantial list.

2006/2007 - I wrote a thesis about these concurrent years for gaming in the U.S., so going back to revisit either one of these years would personally be fun for me. Plus, each of these years had many excellent games.

1997/1998 - I've argued several times the power of a year ending in 7 being a standout one for games, and my favorite game of all time is in that group so, that would be fun. Plus 98 always gets lauded as the greatest year ever, so that would be fun to see how we deliberate. All that said, I'm concerned I probably wouldn't have enough experience to field a full list for either year, but if either of these get selected, we'll see.

If none of these are picked, that's cool too. I just love participating in these things and want to try to contribute when it starts!

• I think 2013 would be interesting, both because of GTA V vs. The Last of Us, but also because it's a quite recent year that probably most people have played a fair number of games from

• Thanks for your replies, looks like 2013 is on top. If we do this one now, I'll make sure to do an older year around September.

I'm on holiday next week so I'll make a post when I return and we can start voting!

• @axel Looking forward to it! Have a great vacation!

• We're gonna need more spots for 2013. So many good games that I've played from that year. A bunch of excellent, even.

• Yeah I'm down to solidify a certain game as the definitive GOTY in 2013.

• I'm ready for my GOTY to get zero votes outside of my own while a few 7s and 8s win it all. Wouldn't be the first time I guess.

• I might sit this one out. There's like 40 games from that year I'd like to play but I have no plans on playing any of them soon.

• Damn, I just compiled a shortlist of 2013 games to add to my future post to help you guys out and... there's a LOT more good games from 2013 than I expected!

I just counted and I've played 25 from that year! And I liked almost all of them. This is gonna be heartbreaking. I can't wait!

• @axel I am ready to do some depraved things to make sure the Star Trek reboot game wins.