Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

• @scotty Nice, I was actually looking for that and didn't see it. If they are still advertising it less then two months out I gotta think they are on schedule.

• @themarcv

I wonder how successful it is going to be. Both the sales and meta score wise.

• @scotty Personally it looks really promising to me. Respawn also has a fantastic track record so far with TitanFall and Apex Legends but this is new territory for them. However it doesn't really seem like it set the world on fire at E3 this year and I'm sure there's a decent amount of gamers that just don't trust EA at all, probably even more so with Star Wars.

I'm very optimistic, for sure day 1 and rounds out a kinda crazy single player Nov for me with Death Stranding and Shenmue 3 coming out just right around this games release.

• I think this looks "good enough", maybe even better. The structure of the game can make a big difference for me, and they're at least promising something like Ratchet & Clank formula where you can go back and forth from planets to others. Which would be great. Also the game simply looks pretty fun, actually. I hope it'll achieve an 8 instead of a 7.

Still, though, I won't be picking this up on release day as I'm pretty sure I'm still deep into Death Stranding at that point. Aaaaand there's Black Friday two weeks later (on November 29th) and this could be on sale there. Would be easy to pick for a December game.

• It's okay that planets unlock while you are progressing in the story and then you can go back to them but I hope it is not like all of them are open from the beginning and you can go whichever you want. That would probably damage the storytelling.

• Brad's preview with Brandon.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Hands-On Preview
    Youtube Video

I was surprised to hear that this'll be so much like the Souls games, Sekiro too. The combat and the death system, the structure of the worlds, how they'll connect eventually etc. Uncharted's clearly here as well, and the guys talk about Metroid Prime when it comes to the scanning and the map system. The own ship sounds cool with the small crew, and the possibility to change how the lightsaber looks sounds neat. A lot of other cosmetic variation as well, it sounds like. And I only now thought about it, but in addition to being able to return to previous planets like in Ratchet & Clank our hero literally also has a robot on his back. Which to me looks a bit dumb, to be honest, but otherwise the game as a whole is starting to grow on me with the things I learn about it. And I like it a lot for some reason that a text comes up on the screen stating you've discovered a shortcut.

• @sentinel-beach said in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order:

this'll be so much like the Souls games, Sekiro too. The combat and the death system

Aaaaand that's why I don't have high hopes for it. I don't like souls genre and I don't want it to involve with other games. It is a niche genre, not easy to adapt for many people.

• I don’t understand why EA shied away from showing Fallen Order for what it really is... a Souls game.

Goes to show how you can manipulate footage however you like. Now that the cats out the bag, it’s very clear that the minute to minute combat is Souls. Straight up. Idk why they hid it this long but I’m infinitely more excited about it now.

• I've been on board since the reveal, and I'm glad this preview confirmed that this game is probably going to be everything I want it to be!

It's funny that elements like the metroidvania structure or the souls-like combat were revealed months ago by Game Informer but the internet collectively chose to ignore it (or not trust it) because "EA bad" or "game journalism bad".

IGN also posted a preview, albeit much shorter:

Youtube Video

Can't wait!

• @axel said in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order:

souls-like combat were revealed months ago

Since the E3 demo, I was aware of this in some capacity but I didn't want to think it will all what combat is.

• I might be the only one who was lamenting from the start that there wouldn't be a mix of guns and lightsabers (like the Jedi Knight series), but after watching the recent videos I noticed I'm more interested in what this turned into than what I was hoping for.

• @axel said in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order:

It's funny that elements like the metroidvania structure or the souls-like combat were revealed months ago by Game Informer but the internet collectively chose to ignore it (or not trust it) because "EA bad" or "game journalism bad".

Can't say I blame people on the Internet with all the shit EA has pulled. I do have high interests in Fallen Order, but I trust only Respawn, not EA. "Journalism", I could not give a shit. Plus, you already know my feelings on the matter.

• Youtube Video

It does looks very interesting.
    Respawn are very talented. it doesnot even looks like typical EA game.

• Anyone happen to know when the review embargo will be lifted? I'm also assuming people are playing it now for review.

• @themarcv Nov 14, 9:03pm PST. According to OpenCritic. I have it pre-loaded on Origin and that is basically the same time the game becomes playable.

https://opencritic.com/articles/900/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-review-embargo-details

• @shoulderguy Awesome, thanks. I need to go to open critic more. Do they normally have embargo dates listed? If so that's awesome.

• Managed to get this for $40 from Target on preorder.

Got to say I'm noticing a trend with EA and Respawn, almost like EA treats them as the red headed step child living at thier house. With Titanfall 2 basically being sent to die, and Apex Legends just spontaneously releasing one day.

Also I can't help but feel like this game might be a bit of a double edged sword.
    If it does well EA has incentive to to monetize it's sequel, like charging to buy more items to summon force/sith ghost invasions.

Meanwhile if it flops Soderland can basically go "see no one is intrested in single player games "

• @dmcmaster said in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order:

If it does well EA has incentive to to monetize it's sequel, like charging to buy more items to summon force/sith ghost invasions.

Eh, we'll get there when we get there. Of course given EA's track record it's fair to be wary, but maybe they realized they need to diversify their portfolio, maintain a certain level of goodwill, etc. Corporations aren't good or evil by nature, they evolve based on results, feedback, etc. So let's rightly criticize them when they mess up, "reward" them when they make great games, and not necessarily assume the worst.

@TheMarcV Yeah they often have countdowns for big games, and the UI in general is so much nicer than Metacritic, I only use them now.

• I got my copy early. Will install tonight, and play tomorrow after work.