The PS5 News and Info Thread

• Hmm tempted to sell my pro now(after TLOU2), and even if the backwards compatibility isn't as good as i hope and could likely rebuy a base ps4 after ps5 launch for these couple games i can't play.

as i said in another thread ratchet and demons souls are basically a lock for me to buy this.

though i have just realised the ps5 will not fit on my shelves (luckily have decent room for it to sit vertical on top)

• @nimbat1003
    I'm half tempted to trade my PS4 in as well to help cover the cost, but I'm going to wait a bit before deciding that. I need to know what games are launching day1, how backwards compatible works, and how many games are getting "Smart Delivery " or PS5 Patches on day 1.

• After getting rid of my PS1, I'll never sell or give away a console again. I love my little game babies.

• @tokyoslim He was talking about PS4 games running on Boosted frequencies on a PS5.

• @iboshow I think the confusion is coming from the fact it's unclear whether he's saying that the "boosted frequencies" is something they're doing on purpose, or whether it's simply a caveat of them running on PS5.

• It looks ugly. :/

0_1592406500253_2d222a42-e0b0-463c-b6b1-8e14ceda96ca.jpg

Interestingly, when it's vertical discless version looks better but when it's horizontal it's the opposite. I still need to know about the stand beneath it; will it come in the box or will it sold separately?

• @Hazz3r @iboshow No, per the Road to PS5 video above - the PS5 chipset can throttle itself down to "hardware emulate" both the PS4 and PS4 Pro using the legacy mode built into the chips, (we don't know how reliable that is yet) it throttles the GPU, suppressing it back down to the 800mhz and 910mhz speeds of the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

If it works - games at those settings will be without any additional GPU overhead. But that, realistically is a backup plan . It's clear they are trying to get games to run FIRST at PS5 native clock to take advantage of any framerate or texture overhead, and then potentially testing it at lower settings if that doesn't work. So they need to test all the games - this is what Cerny is talking about. Some games will run at 2233mhz, some will run at 910mhz, and some will run at 800mhz. But they are having to test each title independently to see what they can run it at. Some titles may not work at any speed, since GPU frequency isn't the only difference in the hardware and there might be unforeseen issues.

So they started with the 100 most played games. Per Cerny, most of those seem to run on PS5, but he doesn't say at full throttle or boost. He just said that most of them are backwards compatible. The ones that AREN'T? We don't know whether they will ever work or if it's something that requires dev support.

Since Sony clarified - we now know they have tested several hundred games "preparing to test thousands more as we move towards launch" but we don't know what's going to be tested and viable at launch yet. That quote doesn't actually say thousands at launch. It just says they are preparing to test thousands. “We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.” Again, doesn't say at launch. Eventually they are going to get through testing all the titles. Might be launch, might not. They haven't actually said yet.

So again, Cerny did not say all games are backwards compatible. Nor did he say that the tested games would all run at boosted frequency.

• @scotty Y'know if they would just make the thing all black I would have zero problems with the design.

• @el-shmiablo

I kind of like it when it's vertical, with the contrast between white and black. Looks really like something new and innovative.

• I'm excited to one day own this techno power oyster that can see into my dreams. Why does my ex-girlfriend show up friendlier than she's ever been, only for me to awaken, missing her terribly? Perhaps only the hypnoshell knows, and the answers will be hidden within expensive, Third Person Action Game © for the new Playstation 5 from Sony.

• Don't know if this has been discussed or not, but I saw that article saying that Control is confirmed for PS5 and XB-X. It's unclear to me if they're rereleasing an enhanced version to purchase, or if the current version out will be backwards compatible, considering the talk that the majority of games on the PS4 library can be played on the PS5. I don't want to buy the game again, but if I can run it at a better frame rate with less pop-in on the PS5 with my current version, I'd love that.

It really puts into question what games I would need to purchase a second time versus being backwards compatible. I don't think anyone knows very much at this point, but it's something I've been thinking about.

• @happygaming I think unless the game is completely remade from the ground up for newer consoles, you're probably going to just get enhanced support.

• @happygaming

The first company who demands you to buy the same game again for new gen will get powerful hate from the gaming community.

Youtube Video

Told ya', 2021.

@scotty said in Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5):

SMMM will be launch title. HFW will be like Infamous: Second Son, I'm waiting 2021 spring date.

• @scotty said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

@happygaming

The first company who demands you to buy the same game again for new gen will get powerful hate from the gaming community.

You mean Nintendo?

• Hmm ratchet has to be early 2021 and demons souls might end up somehwere around that with horizon closing the year, there is also deathloop this year and ghostwire next with their console exclusivity.

GT7 AND PROJECT athia are wild cards, GT7 looked pretty complete so could easily be withing a year as well (but covid 19 must have effected some studios pretty badly. ) re8's performance might be an example of that.

• @e_zed_eh_intern

I mean from the PS5/XSX competition and their 3rd party partners after we heard positive things from Xbox, PS, Ubisoft and CD Projekt etc.

• @scotty
    EA, you know it, I know it, Tim in accounting knows it, everyone knows EA will be the first to double charge for games.

• @dmcmaster Just gonna confirm this.
    EA have already stated that, while they will offer upgrades for certain games to the PS5 version, it will only be for a set date after the game's release.

• @el-shmiablo said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

it will only be for a set date after the game's release

Still counts.

• @nimbat1003 said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

GT7 AND PROJECT athia are wild cards, GT7 looked pretty complete so could easily be withing a year as well.

I had hope GT7 would be 2020 but I think they’re a while off. The game looks solid based on some of those cinematic videos and the gameplay demo, but a lot of that stuff was cut and paste from GT Sport.

The HUD was a top criticism of Sport and the HUD we see in the GT7 demo was the exact same. I think this game is actually in earlish development.

I predict mid-2021 at the earliest mid-2022 the reality. I wouldn’t be surprised if Forza 8 is announced and released before GT7.