The PS5 News and Info Thread

• @tokyoslim My point exactly. I was hoping one could access and swap drives without having to "open" the console. Because it's nice for things to improve.

• ^^

@tokyoslim said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

You want tool-less installation? Xbox is your console. They went tool-less and proprietary and you are going to pay the cost of it.

• @tokyoslim That's why I was hoping for a solution where the memory could be slotted in place. I don't know, looks like I'm talking about some disruptive technological breakthrough, or abstract concept.

• @tokyoslim yeah but we as the player can also pick up that storage for our Xbox Series X for much cheaper if we just buy it during a discount sale . we can also price match to find it as cheap as we possibly can.

i pretty much never pay full RRP for my games or accesories.

• @phbz You are talking about custom parts.

@yoshi said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

we as the player can also pick up that storage for our Xbox Series X for much cheaper if we just buy it during a discount sale

Good luck with that. The M.2 drive Sony is using is going to fall in price much faster than the proprietary memory cards Xbox is using. The Xbox solution is designed not to get cheaper. It's a Vita memory card.

• I mean, "tools required". You need one screwdriver.
    Youtube Video – [00:04..]

• @tokyoslim i shouldn't have to pull apart the entire console just to be able to do that.

• Throwing my hat in the ring on this debate. I think many people but not all people are satisfied with their electronics out of the box. Keep in mind that we live in a world where people buy iMac's and think adding RAM is this one-size-fits-all solution to their speed problems. Then Apple said "nah you can't even add RAM to your Macbooks anymore" and nobody complained cause nobody knows what they're doing.

I think A LOT of gamers fit into that category of "my PS5 is fine" or "what's an SSD?"

Then for those who actually know a thing or two, I feel like a little peak under the hood isn't so crazy. This is no different than replacing RAM on an old Macbook. I mean, people own and maintain their cars after all. Anyone who owns a house doesn't pay a carpenter or plumber every time something needs adjustments.

My point is that it's fine as-is and some people will never open it up. Then those who want to are likely VERY capable. It isn't rocket science.

• I agree with that statement personally. While I understand the appeal of upgrading storage, RAM, etc, that's not why I personally buy a console. I want to pop a game in and play, and never change or touch, or even think about any part of the storage or anything internally. The simplicity of having a system that just runs out of the box is why I gravitate to consoles. I don't want to tinker with game settings (even though that's a little off topic of hardware upgrading), or try to get a marginal boost by changing a part of the hardware, and will just install what I can with the storage I've got. I've got a PC if I wanted to do hardware revisions, and specifically don't game on it because I don't want to deal with the hassle.

I think that the wide majority of consumers who are purchasing a console will never open it or touch the internals. They're designed for accessibility and to be easily approachable for all consumers of the market. Giving the average consumer too many options in how they can use what they're purchasing can result in a product that doesn't have that image, and can appear intimidating. But for those who want the option, switching out one of these SSDs is a pretty simple and painless process.

• @tokyoslim it looks bigger every time i look at it

• @happygaming I've never seen this one before, holy shit. Might be my favorite.

• Are people legitimately angry that you need to open up the PS5 to change add storage? You need to open up the PS4 to it too, unless you go for external, but external storage, even when using an external SSD, doesn't even begin to approach the speeds the PS5 SSD will reach.

But yeah let's just let technology stagnate and force developers to work with obsolete technology that makes developing games more difficult just so that the consumer doesn't have to be slightly inconvenienced by taking 5 minutes to follow a YouTube tutorial on how to increase your console's memory.

PLEASE give me more forced slow walking sections and squeezing through tight gaps to mask increasingly long loading screens. I'm just dying for more of those!

PC's must give these people night terrors.

• @yoshi said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

@tokyoslim i shouldn't have to pull apart the entire console just to be able to do that.

And yet, I've already explained in detail why it is that you do. And that the alternative is the route that the Xbox took. So you continue to stamp your feet at having TWO different options covering both possible scenarios? What is your point?

• @el-shmiablo Angry, at least in my case, is an exaggeration. Just disappointed that the SSD installation isn't better engineered. It's not on the same level of the conjunction of size and aesthetics that will make me effectively hold on as much as possible for a slim redesign.

• Any change in how the SSD is installed (in that way) will require the PC industry to adopt a new form factor for SSD's that is faster than M.2 and caters specifically to tool-less application. So I wouldn't hold my breath on that specific component being "engineered" better. M.2 is already light years better engineered, from a simplicity standpoint than SATA, which requires both a data and a power connection.

• Haven't people been saying Sony needs to be more consumer friendly? What is more consumer friendly than allowing the consumer to buy the parts they want instead of forcing them to buy proprietary accessories that will stay expensive longer?

@Phbz My comment wasn't directed at you.

• @tokyoslim If factually doesn't. You don't need to change anything on the memory stick side and you could still build an external mechanism to take it exactly where it needs to be. Now, I imagine the console form factor took precedence over a delivery method for the extra memory or that R&D budgets for such a thing could be difficult to justify. But it is still disappointing.

• @el-shmiablo said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

What is more consumer friendly than allowing the consumer to buy the parts they want instead of forcing them to buy proprietary accessories that will stay expensive longer?

I mean, downloading more RAM, I guess. lol

To be fair, the consumer will not just be able to "buy the parts they want", as they'll have to buy parts that are certified to work with the PS5. (of which there are currently none). But shortly after the PS5 is out, there will likely be at least a few options which will rapidly drop in price over the lifetime of the console.

• @phbz said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

If factually doesn't

You seem to not have a grasp on the actual facts of the matter, though. I think maybe you're just complaining to complain at this point?