The PS5 News and Info Thread

• @mbun Pretty sure THAT is misinformation.
    It's already been detailed. They have just made recording and submitting audio from chats easier for users. They are not recording the chats themselves.

• if something has a microphone and is connected to the internet. the company is almost definitely recording you and spying on you.

• @yoshi It's not spying if you agree to the terms and conditions.

And yes yes, I know, it's weird. I'm saying this with a bit of a wink. But it's true. When you use these devices, buried in that horrible legalese is "we're listening to everything." No one is breaking into your device, you sign off and agree.

• @axel @El-Shmiablo All that's saying is that yes, your voice chats are constantly being recorded, and for the purpose of moderation a player is the one choosing to send a recent clip in, instead of a moderator always sitting in and listening. Whether they admit it or not, there's nothing stopping them from accessing all the other recordings it is constantly making other than their word, which is NOT part of the Terms of Service.

@Sazime Yeah, it isn't even illegal, because they have you outright agreeing to this if you want to use their console's feature. No thanks, I'll just use other voice chat options. Besides, I still don't trust that screenshot sharing aspect of the Parties to accurately tell whether the stuff being shared is a spoiler or not.

• I just double checked and the PS5 PS Store is built-in to the system OS as opposed to the app that was introduced in like 2010-2013 on PS3 and continued on as an app for PS4.

That means Sony went back to how the PS Store used to be integrated into the PS3 OS back from like 2006-2010, which was A LOT faster, albeit very rudimentary and utilitarian. I personally think this is a good choice. It'll give people more ease of use, especially when searching for things.

• @tokyoslim said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-nvme-ssd-from-wd-revealed-and-its-fast-enough-for-the-ps5/1100-6483060/
    0_1602170107972_db418e30-014a-4f32-9ece-f7c92ef1bde6-image.png

New SSD announced from Western Digital today, brining the total number of drives announced that are potentially fast enough to meet PS5 specs at 3 I think?
    The Samsung 980 Pro, This WD Black, and the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus.

Nice! Just bookmarked this for when I get a PS5. Gonna upgrade to a Gen3 M.2 SSD for my PC sometime soon, then get one of these for my eventual PS5 now that I know how simple it's gonna be.

• @mbun Yeah, that's fair. I'm not all to worried about spoilers because I don't interact with many people on PSN. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out, and I'm ready and willing to be a guinea pig. :D

• @mbun What it means, I believe, is that your voice chat is constantly being recorded locally, and since you can only access the last few minutes of convo to report, it makes sense that older chats are deleted progressively.

They wouldn't store hours of voice chat on your console, nor would they have any purpose storing everyone's chats on their own servers either.

So I don't think there's anything to worry about on that front.

• Surprise: PS5 was sold out this Friday in Russia (in case you didn't know, it was freely available for pre-order before that). I guess that UI showing was a system seller.

• @mbun https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ps4-update-sony-apologises-for-recording-voice-chats-confusion/amp/

Please note that this feature will not actively monitor or listen in on your conversations – ever – and it’s strictly reserved for reporting online abuse or harassment."

• @el-shmiablo said in The PS5 News and Info Thread:

Please note that this feature will not actively monitor or listen in on your conversations

Means they don't have moderators sitting in your chats, but they are always still being recorded.

it’s strictly reserved for reporting online abuse or harassment.

If you believe their word, but I bet there's also nothing in the ToS that's stopping them legally from using that stuff for other things, such as to recommend you things or worst case scenario straight up selling your personal information.

@Axel I'd have to see something that confirms they aren't storing conversations server side.

• @mbun I'm just not sure what you're looking for at this point. They aren't recording your chats, and they've explained how the system works. You aren't going to see some sort of magical "proof", because they don't need to provide any, and I'm not sure you would believe them even if they did.

• You can't make these claims without backing it up. I mean, you caaaaan but you probably shouldn't. Onus is on you to backup what you're saying i.e. "I bet there's also nothing in the ToS that's stopping them legally from using that stuff for other things"

I don't care enough, but I've been put to bed in enough arguments by saying stuff like "well they probably do this thing I'm claiming"

• @el-shmiablo said:

They aren't recording your chats

They factually are, hence this entire discussion. Your Party chats are being recorded, always.

@DIPSET I'll wait and see if anything comes of this. Should be pretty obvious over time, and I'm sure the datamining or just data trailing types will figure out whether conversations are being uploaded / stored server side before long. I will say, Sony being the one in question gives me lots more relief that they aren't doing anything shady with your data compared to if you found out Amazon or Facebook or such was doing the same thing.

• @mbun Facebook does record everything you post on there though....

• @mbun You misunderstood my post, but I'm used to that.

Sony are not recording your chats.

• OK, as I understand this; It works just like the video capture works, the system is constantly recording the last 5 minutes of audio conversations and you can use it to report any improper behaviour. So, I think, that just like no one has access to your video recording until you decide to publish them, here no one has access to your conversation recording since it's equally stored locally.

Privacy risks are not increased by this, or so it seems, we are as vulnerable as with Xbox One/PS4 which is quite vulnerable but no more or less.

• Welp just got a notification that my console (supposed to be headset) is shipping.

• @dmcmaster Several Xbox preorders were getting notified yesterday. Don't get your hopes up. Probably nothing.

• It seems that a bunch of media outlets already got a PS5. Reviews/impressions of it should be coming soon.