The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever

• I've build new PC this August to play Control, so it's hard for me to get excited about next-gen hardware since I already have one. Also this series of tiny announcements is weird. But I enjoy deep dive in game development like having to copy assets multiple times to speed up loading from disks.

• @ffff0
    I remember reading that's what Criterion did with Burnout Paradise on PS3 since the game by itself was only like 4-5gb they just copied the game to the bluray as many times as they could to help cut down on loading.

Do wonder when the next bit of news for PS5 will come.

• @axel I'm so excited to try out that adaptive trigger thingy, I swear I've been dreaming that sort of thing since I was a kid. I figure detail freaks like the guys from Polyphony Digital will eat that thing up, programming different brake and accelerator pedal feel for each cars or something like that. I'm hoping that if these technologies work, they actually get developers to use them.

• Return of the boomerang plz.
    0_1570628994557_ps3 boomerang.jpg

• @yoshi

I was always down with the boomerang

• Haptic feedback and resistance triggers sound really cool. If it at all works as advertised then it's a technology I wish had existed (or been more common) before now. At the moment though I'm also kind of down, because it sounds like one of those controller features that is going to be orphaned on the PS5 and not carried forward as a standard.

• @yoshi I mean, ergonomically that is a fantastic controller design.

• All this news is like whatever to me.

Same controller again means I'm still gonna play the majority of multiplatform games with a mouse and keyboard.

I'm not looking forward to developers wasting even more space not bothering to compress anything on the 100 GB discs. It will mean longer install times and more bandwidth for virtually identical looking and sounding assets. Red Dead 2 doesn't even have the texture quality to justify the 150 GB on PC. What's GTA VI gonna take up on PC with the added storage on consoles? 200 GB? 250? These developers are so irresponsible. On the other hand, I'm glad the UHD disc market will grow a little bit, which means a few more catalog movies every year. I say "a little" because most people stream now, and if they didn't want to get a UHD player before, I doubt many of them will start buying UHD movies now that their console can play them.

Will probably stick with PC and Nintendo going forward. Sony bored me this gen, with a few exceptions like Gravity Rush Remastered, Until Dawn and the Shadow of the Colossus remake (the type of game they would never greenlight today). Bloodborne, despite being my least favorite Souls game, was good too. But I wouldn't buy a console for cinematic emotional walk and talk action games like Naughty Dog's stuff (not bad, but discount titles), and fuck the new God of War direction. I never even played more than a few hours of Spider-Man, and even less of Infamous: Second Son. Horizon was okay, Ratchet and Clank was okay (never finished it), Gravity Rush 2 was disappointing (never finished it)... I haven't played that many exclusives and already feel done with the existing PS4 titles. I just find myself having way more fun with Nintendo's more traditional games.

• https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

I love all this news!

Perhaps my favorite part is all the changes to the controller. All the new features means I'll probably be buying most multiplatform titles on PS5 since, such as keyboard and mouse, generally don't have features like adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

News of the SSD and how it will reduce loading times is great. One thing I really liked about the PS4 was how you could start playing games while you are installing, so something like this probably means reduced installation times and better looking assets that will look and sound so much better. RDR2 is most likely going to have much better looking textures on PC so all that extra space will be justified, and I can't wait to see what it looks like on PS5.
    Honestly I think they should ditch the UHD drive as a space and money saving measure. Barely anybody buys physical media these days, and I much prefer streaming my movies and shows as opposed to taking up a bunch of space in the house I could use for other things.

Definitely sticking to PS, PC and Nintendo going forward.
    Sony really impressed me this generation with such a gigantic library of unique and varied exclusives and they are one of they few development houses who continue to greenlight more niche titles that don't really get made as often these days.
    Bloodborne was by far my favorite Souls game (though I have yet to try Sekiro) and Naughty Dog looks to continue their wizardry with The Last of Us Part 2 which looks to have much more involved and deeper gameplay systems than the first. (always buy em full price!)
    God of War was such a fantastic new direction for the series and I can't wait to see where they go with sequels. Game of the generation IMO.
    I've played hours and hours of Spiderman and am working my way through the DLC right now. I'll always wonder what it would have been like had Sucker Punch, developers of my other favorite super hero games Infamous, made Spidey like I predicted they would before Insomniac got announced as the devs.
    Speaking of Insomniac, I really hope they remember their roots and make another Ratchet and Clank, as the reboot was fantastic.
    Gravity Rush 2 was a fantastic and beautiful sequel in a franchise that I wish was more popular than it is.
    I've played so many Sony exclusives this gen and honestly feel like I have a lot more to catch up on (haven't plays Days Gone, need to dive back into Dreams, check out new Street Fighter V DLC, play the new FFXIV expansion, Concrete Genie is getting great reviews, play some Wipeout Omega online now that the player base has grown from being free on Plus, and there are so many RPGs I need to catch up on like Persona 5, the Yakuza collection) etc etc etc.

I just find myself having so much fun with Sony's incredible, diverse, and unique library of games.

:)

• @mbun Not sure why you posted that. Try to stay on topic and avoid the spam, please.
    :)

• @ezekiel said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

All this news is like whatever to me.

Same controller again means I'm still gonna play the majority of multiplatform games with a mouse and keyboard.

I'm not looking forward to developers wasting even more space not bothering to compress anything on the 100 GB discs. It will mean longer install times and more bandwidth for virtually identical looking and sounding assets. Red Dead 2 doesn't even have the texture quality to justify the 150 GB on PC. What's GTA VI gonna take up on PC with the added storage on consoles? 200 GB? 250? These developers are so irresponsible. On the other hand, I'm glad the UHD disc market will grow a little bit, which means a few more catalog movies every year. I say "a little" because most people stream now, and if they didn't want to get a UHD player before, I doubt many of them will start buying UHD movies now that their console can play them.

Will probably stick with PC and Nintendo going forward. Sony bored me this gen, with a few exceptions like Gravity Rush Remastered, Until Dawn and the Shadow of the Colossus remake (the type of game they would never greenlight today). Bloodborne, despite being my least favorite Souls game, was good too. But I wouldn't buy a console for cinematic emotional walk and talk action games like Naughty Dog's stuff (not bad, but discount titles), and fuck the new God of War direction. I never even played more than a few hours of Spider-Man, and even less of Infamous: Second Son. Horizon was okay, Ratchet and Clank was okay (never finished it), Gravity Rush 2 was disappointing (never finished it)... I haven't played that many exclusives and already feel done with the existing PS4 titles. I just find myself having way more fun with Nintendo's more traditional games.

I definitely don't agree with everything you've said, but yeah, the news so far hasn't done anything for me either. The PS4's been a really good console for me personally, but I must say, past the PS2, Sony's higher profile exclusives do seem to be getting worse. I think Microsoft is going to be the one I personally drop next generation.

What I'd like to know about the most is how it's handling backwards compatibility, not because I really want to use my PS4 discs on the system (I don't sell my consoles) but because I feel it will give some foresight into just how bogged down the library will be with unnecessary ports of everything again.

I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your opinions though. Not everyone around here thinks that just because someone's opinions are generally negative, that means they are trolling.

• @sheria said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

Not everyone around here thinks that just because someone's opinions are generally negative, that means they are trolling.

Such true and wise words.
    šŸ™

• One thing I've heard is that we'll actually be able to decide what gets installed to the SSD, so if you only want just the multiplayer portion of some game, or just the single player. Which will be great in the event we can't swap out the SSD (custom built SSD makes me believe we might not be able to upgrade the SSD)

• @dmcmaster I think you can already do that with some games already.
    I got TLoU Remastered and it asked me which (singleplayer or multiplayer) do I want to be installed first.

• @thedemonpirate I think what he means is we'll get to select what is installed where, so if you wanted super fast loading for multiplayer stuff you could install straight to the SSD while you install the rest of the game to an external.

• @sheria
    For backwards compatibility I've heard there will be a combination of three things.

1. Plays and operates like standard PS4 software.
    2. Some games (probably a handful of select games) will get patches when played on PS5 that will will still use the same assets as the PS4 version, but can better make use of the hardware, let's say playing Spider-man, Dad of Boy, Death Stranding and other late gen PS4 games (and maybe a few earlier titles) at 4K60fps with crazy fast load times.
    3. Some games will get remasters that will fully take advantage of the new hardware, as for what this last one could entail hard to say at this point (Ray tracing in Spiderman? )

And that's to say nothing of PS1-3 BC and what improvements they could see (probably just stupid fast load times and some upscaled resolutions)

• @thedemonpirate
    On PS4 it still downloads the whole game , it just ask which do you want to prioritize. If anything PS5 will include something that the Halo Collection has (after a major update) where you can pick weather you want just the single player elements or multiplayer elements of each game.

• @dmcmaster said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

@sheria
    For backwards compatibility I've heard there will be a combination of three things.

1. Plays and operates like standard PS4 software.
    2. Some games (probably a handful of select games) will get patches when played on PS5 that will will still use the same assets as the PS4 version, but can better make use of the hardware, let's say playing Spider-man, Dad of Boy, Death Stranding and other late gen PS4 games (and maybe a few earlier titles) at 4K60fps with crazy fast load times.
    3. Some games will get remasters that will fully take advantage of the new hardware, as for what this last one could entail hard to say at this point (Ray tracing in Spiderman? )

Sounds ok. For 3. I've always been more than happy with their previous solutions. PS2 had the disc Speed and texture smoothing options, the PS3 original had upscaling/smoothing and the PS4 Pro has the boost mode . Dropping remasters altogether and simply leaving it with something like that would be the most ideal for me.