The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever

• @thedemonpirate I think what he means is we'll get to select what is installed where, so if you wanted super fast loading for multiplayer stuff you could install straight to the SSD while you install the rest of the game to an external.

• @sheria
    For backwards compatibility I've heard there will be a combination of three things.

1. Plays and operates like standard PS4 software.
    2. Some games (probably a handful of select games) will get patches when played on PS5 that will will still use the same assets as the PS4 version, but can better make use of the hardware, let's say playing Spider-man, Dad of Boy, Death Stranding and other late gen PS4 games (and maybe a few earlier titles) at 4K60fps with crazy fast load times.
    3. Some games will get remasters that will fully take advantage of the new hardware, as for what this last one could entail hard to say at this point (Ray tracing in Spiderman? )

And that's to say nothing of PS1-3 BC and what improvements they could see (probably just stupid fast load times and some upscaled resolutions)

• @thedemonpirate
    On PS4 it still downloads the whole game , it just ask which do you want to prioritize. If anything PS5 will include something that the Halo Collection has (after a major update) where you can pick weather you want just the single player elements or multiplayer elements of each game.

• @dmcmaster said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

@sheria
    For backwards compatibility I've heard there will be a combination of three things.

1. Plays and operates like standard PS4 software.
    2. Some games (probably a handful of select games) will get patches when played on PS5 that will will still use the same assets as the PS4 version, but can better make use of the hardware, let's say playing Spider-man, Dad of Boy, Death Stranding and other late gen PS4 games (and maybe a few earlier titles) at 4K60fps with crazy fast load times.
    3. Some games will get remasters that will fully take advantage of the new hardware, as for what this last one could entail hard to say at this point (Ray tracing in Spiderman? )

Sounds ok. For 3. I've always been more than happy with their previous solutions. PS2 had the disc Speed and texture smoothing options, the PS3 original had upscaling/smoothing and the PS4 Pro has the boost mode . Dropping remasters altogether and simply leaving it with something like that would be the most ideal for me.

• Yeah making the next generation of consoles BC with the current one shouldn't be too difficult a task considering it's all still X86 anyway.

• @ezekiel said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

I'm not looking forward to developers wasting even more space not bothering to compress anything on the 100 GB discs.

To be fair, the SSD might resolve this specific issue. Allegedly, devs are duplicating the same data information to make a HDD read the data faster so load times aren't too long. With an SSD they don't have to duplicate so many things, if anything, because an SSD will just find the data faster.

I wasn't aware of this workaround until last week but that is a reason why games have had large sizes last gen. Even PC games for that matter. My 250GB SSD was like $300 in 2016 and a lot of people still use HDD + SSD on PC to save money.

• @dmcmaster

For option 3: JUST NO! Stop it! Use that backward compatibility with option 1 and 2 and that's it. Don't sell the same game again!

• @el-shmiablo ps4 does recognize ps3 and ps2 games it just says it dosnt support them

• @ff7cloud I specifically mean with PS4. Unless Sony wants to go out of their way to use a new architecture, the PS5 will be X86 as well which means it should be too difficult to make PS4 games natively compatible.

• @scotty
    Like I said just something I've heard, and will probably have to ask what kind of things can and can't be done thru a patch. That said at this point it's all just rumor and speculation.

• Ok if this is true and we can use our PS1-4 disc PS5 will be a beast of a BC platform and probably a streamers dream machine
    https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/10/16/ps5-playstation-5-backwards-compatibility/

• @dmcmaster

I would cry if it’s true. My new Samsung TV doesn’t have any old ports, only HDMI. So I now can’t even use my PS2 or GameCube. I am really close to picking up a Tube TV from a coworker, but I don’t want a big honkin’ CRT in my small apartment if possible.

I’d be buying old games again if this is true. My PS3 is still hooked up because of the BC features.

• @dipset
    Look up the Hyperkin HDMI cables, thier like $30 and not the best solution (image is a bit dark) but they are a damn blessing

• @dmcmaster

If they put PS3 BC without streaming shit I would be so frickin happy about it. That's the dream one.

• I honestly dont think this is anything. From what I saw so far it's because of a quote about them still working on backwards compatibility and people taking it out of context with an earlier quote. I wouldn't get my hopes up until something specific is announced.

• @dipset I'm also very interested in solving this problem, especially for the old 3d consoles where emulation technology seems like it will never be completely reliable. I haven't found a good solution either. Not sure if I want to take my old tube TV from my parents house or invest in an upscaler like the OSSC ("Open Source Scan Converter"). I guess either way what I want will cost me something, isn't that the way it always is...

• To follow up what I said, I suspect if we can play games without streaming them I suspect Twitch and YouTube will be full of people streaming Tony Hawk, Silent Hill, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga, basically all of thoese classic games that people instantly think "Playstation " all of which haven't had a new entry in forever due to one reason or another. Hopefully with people being able to stream these games easily we might actually see them make a resurgence in some form or another.
    Also making these games purchasable (at least thoese that can) will be great

• @dipset said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

@dmcmaster

I would cry if it’s true. My new Samsung TV doesn’t have any old ports, only HDMI. So I now can’t even use my PS2 or GameCube. I am really close to picking up a Tube TV from a coworker, but I don’t want a big honkin’ CRT in my small apartment if possible.

I’d be buying old games again if this is true. My PS3 is still hooked up because of the BC features.

What on earth, really? My latest Sony 4K tv still has its Scart and AV input, something I made sure was there before purchase.

• @sheria

Pretty much nothing at the store had anything other than HDMI ports. Plus the newest Sony models aren’t rating at high in the game department as Samsung so I went with them this time around. Those QLEDs are awesome for video games