The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever

• I disagree. Pretentious is a great word to describe SCEA's film envy. It's especially funny when they try and fail to turn something like God of War into high art. Imagine Fox trying to do that with Die Hard. They often forget to make it fun in all their pretention.

That Last of Us, Part II trailer started that way because Druckmann is a social justice warrior (a term I almost never use but which fits him). Any other reason is secondary.

• @ezekiel And I would disagree right back.
    God of War needed a tonal shift. While I still absolutely adore the original games, Kratos was very one note, and bringing him into this generation as the same old rage filled killing machine he was at the end of the series would have been ridiculous and tone deaf, especially considering there was nobody left for him to be angry with since he killed them all.
    God of War 2018 featured much more varied and in-depth gameplay elements than any previous GoW before it, and features a similar gameplay to cutscenes ratio to 3, perhaps even more considering the non-linear nature of the game and open ended hub style design of the world.

Speaking of Die Hard, that is a series that SERIOUSLY needs a change up. The last few entries in that series have been absolute garbage exactly because they are still trying to be "badass" action films and nothing else.
    If anything, John Maclain has de-evolved with every new entry. The first movie was incredibly progressive for it's time, with John having a full character arc revolving around how his machismo and stubbornness had been one of the main contributors to his failed marriage. Now he is just a big dumb shootyman who is angry because he is supposed to be on vacation can't you tell by how many times I repeat that in the movie?

• @ezekiel said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

I disagree. Pretentious is a great word to describe SCEA's film envy.

You totally have a right to your opinion about SCEA titles being cinematic, but I can assure you that there isn't some conspiracy that SCEA is pushing this type of thing or that there is some mandate to make cinematic games.

You can watch plenty of GDC talks on their YouTube channel. There are some that talk directly about the pitching process, even from first party studios. It isn't some top down Sony mandate to make these games, the studios make them because they want to.

I also know people who work in this industry and studios make what they want to make usually. Publishers aren't as involved in the creative as people seem to think.

With all that said, I do wish there were slightly fewer "cinematic" titles in the PS library. I do miss games like Wipeout, SOCOM, Warhawk, Motorstorm, etc, etc, that Sony does not generally develop these days.

• @dipset While I think Sony doubts how much clout the SOCOM name still has (seriously if they just made a new one that was actually good people would go bananas), the rest of those games died because people didn't want them.
    Don't get me wrong, I would suck unprecedented amounts of dick to get a new Motorstorm and I'm probably one of the only people who thought Apocalypse was fucking incredible, but people clearly want more from their games than noisy action, and Sony's absolute sales dominance this generation is a terrific indicator of that.

Also, we still get plenty of silly fun games from Sony. Ratchet & Clank, Tearaway, Dreams, Helldivers, Everybody's Golf, basically anything Housemarque makes, etc etc etc. We just pay more attention to the serious stuff because it makes a bigger cultural splash.

• @el-shmiablo
    Alright sounds like to get some new games made we just need to send you to various places and you give a blow job so great that it has to be recorded in history.
    Sure you son Banjo might be embarrassed, but he'll know his dad was out sucking dick so well a new Motorstorm had to be made.

• @El-Shmiablo @DMCMaster

El Shim walking into SCE like...

• Treasure will have no choice but to make Guardian Heroes 2 when I hit em with da SUCC

0_1555710332781_1548864494007.jpg

• @el-shmiablo said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

God of War needed a tonal shift. While I still absolutely adore the original games, Kratos was very one note, and bringing him into this generation as the same old rage filled killing machine he was at the end of the series would have been ridiculous and tone deaf, especially considering there was nobody left for him to be angry with since he killed them all.
    God of War 2018 featured much more varied and in-depth gameplay elements than any previous GoW before it, and features a similar gameplay to cutscenes ratio to 3, perhaps even more considering the non-linear nature of the game and open ended hub style design of the world.

A better reboot for God of War would have been creating a whole new character in a different pantheon, instead of going with this incredibly stupid idea that the cartoon he used to be turned into this placid guy and journeyed to another universe. It was an awful change. Mixing pantheons is also stupid because they each have different explanations for the nature of the universe and the believers thought their stories encompassed the world. It's why I like Batman but can't take the DC universe seriously. My rebooted series also would have had continues musical scores (instead of depressing silence and walk and talk shit) like the old games, a narrator, gory violence, sex, nudity and wide fields of view (perhaps a combination of fixed cameras and fully controllable cams that are pulled much farther back). You would have had different weapons and a new character with different motivations, but it still would have been God of War. The soul was torn out.

Speaking of Die Hard, that is a series that SERIOUSLY needs a change up. The last few entries in that series have been absolute garbage exactly because they are still trying to be "badass" action films and nothing else.
    If anything, John Maclain has de-evolved with every new entry. The first movie was incredibly progressive for it's time, with John having a full character arc revolving around how his machismo and stubbornness had been one of the main contributors to his failed marriage. Now he is just a big dumb shootyman who is angry because he is supposed to be on vacation can't you tell by how many times I repeat that in the movie?

I don't care about the Die Hard series. The first movie is good, but I prefer the original Lethal Weapon. My point was turning the original movie into high art. It would be such a dumbass decision.

• @ezekiel said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

My rebooted series also would have had continues musical scores (instead of depressing silence and walk and talk shit) like the old games, a narrator, gory violence, sex, nudity and wide fields of view (perhaps a combination of fixed cameras and fully controllable cams that are pulled much farther back). You would have had different weapons and a new character with different motivations, but it still would have been God of War. The soul was torn out.

The series has dealt with different pantheons since the second game (does a montheist religion like Christianity actually have a pantheon?) and it is all in the same universe. The game references previous entries regularly, and it is all very much connected.

GoW 2018 did have leitmotifs.

Youtube Video

Kratos literally killed the narrator in the third game.

I'm pretty sure I ripped many, many people clean in half in the new God of War.

Sex and nudity were not as prevelant in Norse culture as they were in Grecian cultures. It would make very little sense for the game to feature those things just because.

Your rebooted game doesn't sound much like a rebooted game, and more just a retread of the exact same things that the previous games did.

But hey, how bout dat PS5?

With all the talk of the next PlayStation having no loading screens thanks to the steroid injected SSD and some neat RAMfuckery, I hope this means we'll see the end of "crawl through this enclosed space/open this heavy door slowly so we can mask the obvious background loading" in games.

• @el-shmiablo said in The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever:

The series has dealt with different pantheons since the second game (does a montheist religion like Christianity actually have a pantheon?) and it is all in the same universe. The game references previous entries regularly, and it is all very much connected.

Easter eggs. Different from showing the living, breathing Odin in God of War II. It's not right in my face.

I'm pretty sure I ripped many, many people clean in half in the new God of War.

The violence was tame. Sadistic violence was rooted in God of War's identity. It was entertaining.

Sex and nudity were not as prevelant in Norse culture as they were in Grecian cultures. It would make very little sense for the game to feature those things just because.

Assuming the Norse pantheon is the only candidate, I would have brought sex and nudity in anyway, because that was also a part of God of War's identity and it amused me. Adultery was common in Viking life and people didn't have as much privacy or clothes.

Your rebooted game doesn't sound much like a rebooted game, and more just a retread of the exact same things that the previous games did.

You think that because you have no imagination. Some tonal things DO need to carry over if this reboot is to pretend that it is part of the same series. If this really was a faithful sequel, they would have called it God of War IV.

Also, the camera I mentioned would have enhanced the combat and allowed platforming, so screw the zoomed over the shoulder cam.

• Personally I've been 50/50 on the new GoW (which I think I've mentioned here)
    Personally would of preferred something that was more gameplay focused and become a bit more like DMC, and made a new character to explore a new pantheon.

That said I did enjoy GoW 2018, but feel that the gameplay was serviceable, and found it a little lacking in "oh shit" moment's or at the very least just gave glimpses of stuff that will undoubtedly be in the sequels (Fighting Odin and Zeus in hell)
    But overall I found the story great, and Kratos story of redemption and trying to end the chain of gods viewing them as superior, or the constant in fighting and Patracide, and leaving me excited to see what happens next, but I do want to see more done for the gameplay.

• just gonna repost what I accidentally put into the DMC5 thread

I’m just gonna throw my hat in the ring with this God of War talk.

I’m 50-50 on it. It was a great game no doubt but my complaints are less about it’s storytelling and a lot more about the XP progression system. Despite how video gamey they red orbs were in the original trilogy, I felt like a badass monster out the gate in 1-3 whereas GOW 2018 only picked up for me when you unlock “both weapons” and you are very upgraded. It gets speedier and more aggressive at that point. I also didn’t like the looooong sections like the Ferry world.

With all that said, and relating it back to PlayStation 5, God of War 2018 is all setup to be frank. The end hints at shit getting CRAZY CRAZY in the next game. Not that they couldn’t have gone bigger with GOW on PS4, but between new hardware and narrative, GOW II on PS5 will obviously be on a huge scale. I’m willing to put money on that.

• @dipset
    Same here, GoW 2018 almost feels like nothing more but setup for a sequel, hell to paraphrase Cory Balrog himself "I had ideas for DLC, but the team kept looking at me like "why dont we just make another game with that"" or something like that

Which makes me wonder just what was he thinking for DLC, and that maybe GoW 2021(maybe?) Will have some utterly insane stuff similar to the original trilogy. Fighting Thor as a massive thunderstorm rages, Fenrir, the halls of Valhalla, more of "Her" ghost haunting Kratos. Learn more of Mimir's mission of apparently gathering a army to fight gods. Although I do wonder if GoW² will pick up directly after the dream, or if there will be a time skip and if there is will we have a moment to play as Atrus?

• @sentinel-beach

I can wait until 2020. I remember in 2014 my grandma saw that I bought a PS4 and said “I had no clue that when we got you that Nintendo when you were a kid, that it’d have such an impact on your life.” Well, round 5 starts in May 2020, I’m still going to be gaming grandma haha.

Crazy to see Sony having their most profitable year. I remember their dark years when they started selling off their different brands. I was always a big Sony fan so it’s great to see them bounce back more than a decade later.

I know it’s weird to be a “fan” of a corporation but Sony has created some of the most important technology of recent generations: cameras, audio, film, gaming, computing, etc etc. Like inventing and engineering ideas, not just making good products.

• @dipset Yea some companies just have such an impact that you can't help but have some feels.
    Nintendo and Sony are definitely up there in terms of that.

• I didn't think they will do the announcement like this! Out of nowhere! I wonder if this has something to do with Shawn Layden's departure...