The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever

• @dipset
    Same here, GoW 2018 almost feels like nothing more but setup for a sequel, hell to paraphrase Cory Balrog himself "I had ideas for DLC, but the team kept looking at me like "why dont we just make another game with that"" or something like that

Which makes me wonder just what was he thinking for DLC, and that maybe GoW 2021(maybe?) Will have some utterly insane stuff similar to the original trilogy. Fighting Thor as a massive thunderstorm rages, Fenrir, the halls of Valhalla, more of "Her" ghost haunting Kratos. Learn more of Mimir's mission of apparently gathering a army to fight gods. Although I do wonder if GoW² will pick up directly after the dream, or if there will be a time skip and if there is will we have a moment to play as Atrus?

• @sentinel-beach

I can wait until 2020. I remember in 2014 my grandma saw that I bought a PS4 and said “I had no clue that when we got you that Nintendo when you were a kid, that it’d have such an impact on your life.” Well, round 5 starts in May 2020, I’m still going to be gaming grandma haha.

Crazy to see Sony having their most profitable year. I remember their dark years when they started selling off their different brands. I was always a big Sony fan so it’s great to see them bounce back more than a decade later.

I know it’s weird to be a “fan” of a corporation but Sony has created some of the most important technology of recent generations: cameras, audio, film, gaming, computing, etc etc. Like inventing and engineering ideas, not just making good products.

• @dipset Yea some companies just have such an impact that you can't help but have some feels.
    Nintendo and Sony are definitely up there in terms of that.

• I didn't think they will do the announcement like this! Out of nowhere! I wonder if this has something to do with Shawn Layden's departure...

• Nice! I have a year to save. First time in my life, I’ll be gainfully employed at a good job when a video game console launches. I used to have to wait for Christmas or birthday and do some campaigning.

With the PS4 I was a student and spent my summer job money on it. Not really responsible but it needed to be done.

• A wild feeling now that the launch has been made officially, well, official. A year to go! Wow.

• I like that they are making a new Playstation controller. Personally I would like the new controller to be somewhat bigger with more separation between the control sticks. I have giant meat hooks for hands so I don't expect Sony will change the core of it's design to my liking.

The PS5 is a day one buy for me anyway. The base PS4 served me well but it's definitely starting to show it's age. If I knew that Final Fantasy VII and The Last of Us Part 2 had better PS5 versions ready at launch, I would wait until I could play those versions.

• Expected, but nice to know.

"physical games for the PS5 will use 100GB optical disks, inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Bluray player."

• Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.

The hype is real.

• I really like what they're saying about the haptic feedback on the controller, sounds super advanced!

One is "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun.

I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.

• @axel Don't get too excited. It is just another word for HD Rumble. Steam Controllers already proved it is the same mechanisms. They can be really loud and obnoxious if the build quality of the controllers are lacking too, so cross your fingers. Sony continuing the tradition of following Nintendo's lead.

• @mbun

I mean they say in the Wired article that they could have released this tech with the PS4 Pro but they didn't, meaning its been worked on long before the Switch was even announced. That isn't exactly copying. Also, controllers have been homogenized (for better) so I'm okay with every platform having virtually the same core controller.

Its like how MMA uses the octagon cage across all leagues - it unifies the sport. In 2019 we have certain expectations for our gamepads.

• @dipset They could have, but they didn't ...until now.

• Sony copying what Nintendo does... and doing it better.

0_1570551439684_Chad_Warden (1).jpg

Sony always wins, baybee.

• @tokyoslim
    Called it, although a bit disappointing, then again I'm probably the only person excited about multi disc games again.

Either way I forsee remasters of TLOU2,RDR2 and FF7Remake on the way just for this alone, also to get devs used to the system and maybe some new stuff that couldn't be done on PS4 hardware.

• @el-shmiablo Better? It is the exact same thing, although I imagine by the time PS5 comes out, they'll probably have an updated mechanism for it.