The PS5/PlayStation Next/NeoStation/PS Neu/Whatever

• I really like what they're saying about the haptic feedback on the controller, sounds super advanced!

One is "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun.

I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.

• @axel Don't get too excited. It is just another word for HD Rumble. Steam Controllers already proved it is the same mechanisms. They can be really loud and obnoxious if the build quality of the controllers are lacking too, so cross your fingers. Sony continuing the tradition of following Nintendo's lead.

• @mbun

I mean they say in the Wired article that they could have released this tech with the PS4 Pro but they didn't, meaning its been worked on long before the Switch was even announced. That isn't exactly copying. Also, controllers have been homogenized (for better) so I'm okay with every platform having virtually the same core controller.

Its like how MMA uses the octagon cage across all leagues - it unifies the sport. In 2019 we have certain expectations for our gamepads.

• @dipset They could have, but they didn't ...until now.

• Sony copying what Nintendo does... and doing it better.

0_1570551439684_Chad_Warden (1).jpg

Sony always wins, baybee.

• @tokyoslim
    Called it, although a bit disappointing, then again I'm probably the only person excited about multi disc games again.

Either way I forsee remasters of TLOU2,RDR2 and FF7Remake on the way just for this alone, also to get devs used to the system and maybe some new stuff that couldn't be done on PS4 hardware.

• @el-shmiablo Better? It is the exact same thing, although I imagine by the time PS5 comes out, they'll probably have an updated mechanism for it.

• Skyrim: Special-er Enhanced Edition?
    0_1570570701752_1570565052271.png

• They are gonna put Skyrim on everything, forever.

• That's not real, is it? Can't find it on their feed anywhere.

• @tokyoslim
    It's not on wonder when they'll port it to PS1,N64 and Dreamcast.

• @dmcmaster But when are they gonna release Resident Evil 4 for the PS5?

• @neocweeny
    Yes, alongside the RE4 Remake on RE Engine.

• I've build new PC this August to play Control, so it's hard for me to get excited about next-gen hardware since I already have one. Also this series of tiny announcements is weird. But I enjoy deep dive in game development like having to copy assets multiple times to speed up loading from disks.

• @ffff0
    I remember reading that's what Criterion did with Burnout Paradise on PS3 since the game by itself was only like 4-5gb they just copied the game to the bluray as many times as they could to help cut down on loading.

Do wonder when the next bit of news for PS5 will come.

• @axel I'm so excited to try out that adaptive trigger thingy, I swear I've been dreaming that sort of thing since I was a kid. I figure detail freaks like the guys from Polyphony Digital will eat that thing up, programming different brake and accelerator pedal feel for each cars or something like that. I'm hoping that if these technologies work, they actually get developers to use them.

• Return of the boomerang plz.
    0_1570628994557_ps3 boomerang.jpg

• @yoshi

I was always down with the boomerang

• Haptic feedback and resistance triggers sound really cool. If it at all works as advertised then it's a technology I wish had existed (or been more common) before now. At the moment though I'm also kind of down, because it sounds like one of those controller features that is going to be orphaned on the PS5 and not carried forward as a standard.