How do you feel about the security issues Europe is facing

• @flower_arrangement go for it.

• @Nillend TBH More lax gun control is only a part of the violence problem in america, along with the war on drugs and a generally more aggressive culture also being a big part. Isn't there some country in europe that lets all citizens carry assault rifles and a super low gun violence rate since they're not too much culturally like america. Idk, I live in Canada, and the government used a dumb work-around where you could have hunting rifles but people weren't allowed to buy bullets or something, it was really dumb and didn't really change anything, so they stopped.

• @ChoppedLiver02 You might speak of Switzerland, but I don't think they can carry firearms around there. Even if they can I don't think they do, even though the possesion percentage is high. But the law differs depending on a country and there are si many of them. Generally it is allowed to posess a gun, but the licences are hard to gain and then there are complications about caliber and ammo etc. Again it really depends on the individual country.
    But I agree that it also depends on other things, like demographics, culture etc.

• Banned

@Paper-Lion said in How do you feel about the security issues Europe is facing:

Basically it's the wars in the middle east spilling over into Europe.

Spilling over? They literally INVITED them over.

It's a house party that's gotten out of control.

• I'm very concerned about Gamescom in cologne next month, especially because my friend wants to go there.

• How do I feel? It stresses me out, especially considering I have to go to Berlin for work this upcoming Fall.

I think any attempt to get people not to jump to conclusions is only going to lead people to get angrier and angrier. Simple things like referring to Middle-Easterners simply as "Asians" in articles detailing crimes is small, but still has impact. Stuff like trying to hide the Cologne attacks is simply vile.

In any case, the current situation is poisonous for atheists, Christians, Jews, and Muslims alike. My European Muslim friends are more angry than ever at their own nation and at their own religion. The few Jews I'm in contact with seem to all want to get the hell out of France as soon as possible. And the right is coming back under the ugly guise of ultra-nationalism.

Things are going to shits, that's the most accurate way to describe it.

• Fear makes people irrational and leads them towards bad decisions. The reality of us experiencing terrorism first hand is extremely small even with recent events taken into consideration. That doesn't mean countries shouldn't be more vigilant in identifying, pursuing and dealing with terrorists within our borders but we shouldn't choose how we solve that issue out of fear.

A big problem is the media. There's been a few mentions already of generalisations made but more than that the relentless coverage just serves fuel Islamophobia while also serving as the best marketing for terrorist groups. when groups will claim ownership of attacks they aren't involved in and media is happy to report that it surely makes things worse. The terrorists want to inspire fear among non-muslims and muslims. Making both sides fear the other out of ignorance. That only works on a small percentage of people but it's enough apparently.to sustain the fear. Working to break that is difficult.

Maybe being in Britain I feel less threatened by the issue. My family are originally from Asia and I was brought up a Muslim. The reality is i'm likely to face racism more than terrorism and even likelier that i could get killed in a traffic accident but i life live without fear of those thing dictating my decisions and outlook. I trust (rightly or wrongly) our governments to do the best they can to protect us to the best of their abilities. I still believe Europe as a whole is one of the safest places to be.

A final point. I absolutely understand the reluctance of members not to engage or welcome this conversation. Honestly, i often shy away from political or religious debates online because they're just too heavy and often devolve into anarchy. That said smaller arena's like this, where the community is fairly tight-knit, are capable of having these discussions. They can get heated but if the basic respect is there then it should be fine. Plus i'm sure there's a mod or two around if someone decides to be a nuisance.

• Whilst I try my best to ignore these things, as I have more than enough things to worry about in my own life, but I'm somewhat scared, even though so far it's relatively safe here in Finland. I feel like humanity is tearing itself apart for more or less insane reasons. There is not much we can do to fix things, but to hope that the ISIS threat and such can be neutralized.

• I'm glad this thread has become a place where people can express their concerns.

• @ChaosBahamut The problem with a lot of places in Europe is that immigrants don't integrate into the population and settle in self-contained communities. The local police forces then don't have an in to that neighborhood to know when random disaffected citizens might be planning an attack.

Given that, what exactly are you suggesting? That changing rhetoric might help identify threats? How?

You say "round up suspected ISIS members," but western governments already do that. The people who stage attacks aren't holding a bomb labeled "Islamic Terrorism," they're unknowns. What then are you suggesting we do? Somehow target Muslim populations in the west while simultaneously protecting their rights?

There is no just way to conduct racial profiling.

The answer is not to react rashly and violently, as shortsighted and short-tempered people are want to do. Society, and all of human history, is a great mass. Within it exist the memories of countless generations. They have all died to further society and its justness, humanity nearing closer to unity with each generation (And they all had much greater numbers of dead, too. The amount of people killed in attacks is astronomically low: many more are killed by car accidents or preventible disease.). These kinds of shortsighted persecutions will only incite greater violence, pushing society back and charging the cycle of hatred in the process.

If you wish to actively curtail the number of dead, then governmental outreach programs such as language classes, shared community spaces, and education to bring people out of poverty will do so. Divisive moralizing and "crackdowns" will spin the cycle of hatred further, but only unification can stop it.

I'm an American, if you couldn't tell by my referring to Europe broadly as "Europe." I think the same trend is affecting the US: both attacks and the racist right (Trump) rearing it's head to shout about "evil foreigners."

• @Haru17 Okay, I will admit I was a little over-emotional. (much as I try, I just can't seem to curb that aspect of myself) Just sick and tired of reading about all these terror incidents.

• @ChaosBahamut I get it. The news has gotten undeniably depressing of late, even to one such as myself who treats sentiments like "the news is depressing" as a cliche. This rash of attacks will subside in time (as will incidents of police brutality, which are added to these stories in the news—I'm not sure if you hear of them outside of the states).

• So, this is relevant.

“A rejection of the humanitarian stance we took could have led to even worse consequences,” the German chancellor said, adding that the assailants “wanted to undermine our sense of community, our openness and our willingness to help people in need. We firmly reject this.”