Favorite Pokemon Generation

• Banned

Which gen was it when they started running out of ideas for designs? That one's my favorite.

• I actually looked into this recently for no good reason, and after looking it I gotta say that for me it's without a doubt Gen 3, just Blaziken and Gardevoir are good enough for me for it to be the best.

What was a real surprise was looking at Gen 2 and realizing how bad it actually is, there are maybe 5 pokemon among them that I like, and the rest are really bad.

• 2nd Generation hold a special place in my heart. Pokemon Crystal was my first pokemon game I played and I instantly fell in love. Also, my favorite Pokemon is Feraligatr, so I have to choose the gen that my favorite pokemon was introduced.

• Not sure what the best was, but Black and White was probably the worst. I just have no memory of that story at all. I really want to play B&W2, but beause I don't remember the 1st game...I can't pull the trigger. 30+hour rpg and I couldn't tell you 1 characters name.

• Mine's Gen 1 for sure. Extremely simple layout of a story and a course of adventure that just works so well. Also going to the second city and seeing the locked gym as well as a path to the very end of the game, but not being able to interact with any of them yet is brilliant. I also find Diamond/Pearl fairly underrated as it's by no means bad and is in my opinion the only one since Gen 1 to have any sort of challenge to it. That elite 4 my god.

• @Ivalice said in Favorite Pokemon Generation:

Not sure what the best was, but Black and White was probably the worst. I just have no memory of that story at all. I really want to play B&W2, but beause I don't remember the 1st game...I can't pull the trigger. 30+hour rpg and I couldn't tell you 1 characters name.

Well, I can say that's one opinion I've never heard much. Gen 5 is widely considered to have the best story by far, being the main focus of the games. Same with the characters. I'm not trying to come off as rude, but I am legitimately surprised to hear gen 5 being considered unmemorable in that regard.

@Art said in Favorite Pokemon Generation:

Which gen was it when they started running out of ideas for designs? That one's my favorite.

Guess you still have to wait for your favorite generation then. ;)

• alt text

WHY.

• @Haru17 Because Dunsparce is the Overlord of all.

• Its hard to go back to a pre-Gen 4 game, aka without the special-physical separation in moves. Nonetheless Hoenn was for sure my favourite map and world (regardless of the vast water sections).

• Gen 2 was the golden years, they hadn't exhausted too much of their creativity and some really fun designs of Poke'mon that will be my favorites for life.

• Gen 5 is my favorite because the game adds character customization. Being able to play yourself in the Pokémon world makes it that much more immersive.

Gen 4 is a close second because splitting move types into physical and special according to the kind of attack (Ice Punch vs Ice Beam) instead of the type of attack (Fighting vs Water) changed the meta in a good way.

• @michemagius It is somewhat of a toss up for me. I love gen 1 for all the obvious nostalgic reasons. But, gen 2 is really good too (except for Unknown primarily). Gold and Silver are some of the best sequels of all time in my opinion. A full game on their own plus the first game was end game content! Love it. Also, the day/night cycle had me addicted as a kid.

• @Jimmy-Good Even though I've got a soft spot for Gen 5, Gen 2 is so radical. I loved being able to go back to Kanto, and I wish that other games had allowed you to visit previous regions as well.

• I loved Black and White. They introduced all new pokemon rather than evolve some previous ones. The game also had the best story in a Pokemon game as well both time and seasons that affect the gameplay and the pokemon you can catch.

• @liftedpixel Don't you mean gen 6? Black & White didn't have character creation.

This made me think, it's funny how the male and female player characters work. The girls have character and design put into them, because more often than not they appear on the show. The guys, however, are just a bunch of generic fuccbois who never amount to anything.

• @Haru17 I don't really agree with that. Until Gen 4 the male characters were noticeably different from one another, and the only reason they've started to blend together now is because let's face it, male hairstyles don't tend to be as varied as female hairstyles in life or video games, least not in ways you can represent on a tiny sprite, often under a hat. Pokemon easily makes up for it with male rivals, professors, gym leaders, elite four members, etc. that stand out more with varied body types and ridiculous outfits that you couldn't put on a playable character that exists for the player to self-insert as.

What I will agree with is that they must have meant Gen 6, and the customizable clothing for Pokemon X and Y was painfully gender slanted towards girls. The boy's clothing was really fugly and not very well thought out compared to all the cool outfits girls had available. Pretty sure the attitude of the developers was that it would be a feature girls would care much more about.

• @Mbun Which is funny, because as a guy I'm the biggest fashion hunter out there. That is, I love visual customization in games.

• Though I love every generation my bias favourite has to be Gen 2 just because it was my first and a I have the fondest memories of it. Besides that Gen 1 and 3. With 5 and the rest following.

• second gen most definitely. it was awesome to see things evolve in Kanto after having a blast in Johto.

• Gen VI, specifically X/Y because it brought me back to the franchise after skipping Gen V.

X and Y were designed for people in my position. I loved Pokemon but had no idea what was going on with it anymore so Gen VI's focus on doing new things with older Pokemon was an instant hook.

It also helps that Kalos is a really good region that stands apart from the others for me.