Nintendo Financial Results - as of 31 March 2019

• The fiscal year is over and it's time for another Nintendo financial update, from the following sources:

Hardware sales
    Software sales
    Earnings release
    Supplementary information

My observations:

• The Switch hardware sales have reached 34.74 million units, now officially beating the Nintendo 64!
    • However, that means only 2.47 million have been sold since the last update, 3 months ago. Not great but not unexpected, Nintendo had no major release and this period is often the slowest for hardware.
    • It fell short of Nintendo's original goal of 20 million units sold through the fiscal year, totaling 16.95 million instead. Very close!
    • Software sales have increased to 187.52 million units, up from 163.61 million.
    • The top-selling games is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with 16.69 million units. That's an extra 1.67 million in 3 months, this game just won't stop selling.
    • Second, Super Mario Odyssey with 14.44 million (+0.68 million).
    • Third, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with 13.81 million (+1.73 million). With the hype around the DLC characters, it will probably overtake Mario in the next 3 months.
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now at 12.77 million units, and probably won't ever catch up with the top 3.
    • Pokémon: Let's Go only progressed by 0.63 million, now sitting at 10.63. With Sword and Shield on the horizon, I don't imagine it will sell much more.
    • Super Mario Party is at 6.4 million (+1.1 million). This is really good for a game that hasn't even received any update.
    • Now for the newcomers, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe sold 3.31 million! It sold 5.79 million lifetime on Wii U so it's not impossible the Switch version will beat it in the future.
    • Yoshi's Crafted World sold 1.11 million units in... 2 days, since it came out on March 29th and those numbers are from March 31st. We'll have to wait until the next update to get a more accurate idea of its performance but that's pretty encouraging!
    • The 3DS reached 75.08 million units but only sold 2.55 million in the entire fiscal year (60.2% decrease on a year-on-year basis), so it probably won't reach 80. You had a good run!
    • No major news to gather from their launch schedule, it's interesting to note that Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3 are still slated for 2019, so no delay on the horizon as of today.

Interestingly, their forecast for this new fiscal year is to sell 18 million Switch hardware units, which seems pretty doable given their 2019 line-up, and 125 million software units, which seems very ambitious as that represents 2/3 of their current total! But hey, 20 million Pokemon and 15 million Animal Crossing should help!

• Jesus what an attach rate this system has.

• Wtf is Nintendo doing? Like didn't Persona 5 only sell like 2 million world wide? Yet Yoshi sells 1.1m and Super Mario Party, a half decent game but nothing special, can pull off 6.4m as an exclusive?!

I honestly don't understand what is happening.

• @dipset I'd say ask a casual or non gamer what Persona 5 is and then ask the same person what Yoshi is. Nintendo is unmatched in terms of brand recognition with the general public - despite Wii U's best efforts to destroy that.

@Axel Looks good but I think missing the console target by 15% is not very close. That's a pretty big miss in the business world. But software sales are looking splendid. I hope this trend continues!

• @e_zed_eh_intern Dem exclusives mane.
    No seriously. Trash like Sea of Theives sold 2 million in it's launched week and topped the NPDs for that month. Mind you it completely dropped off the list after that, but being "the big exclusive" for a console really does help.
    I can see Days Gone, despite being pretty generic shit, selling 7 milly no sweat.

• Note: 16.95 million Switches sold still didn't hit Nintendo's revised estimate of 17 million.

• @e_zed_eh_intern said:

Nintendo is unmatched in terms of brand recognition with the general public - despite Wii U's best efforts to destroy that.

Wii U had super good games for the most part. Only really hurt Nintendo's brand recognition on the hardware side.

That's a pretty big miss in the business world.

They just cockily overpredicted. Same thing you're always seeing Square Enix and other big publishers do, then getting upset when their games sell record amounts but not record amounts enough to satisfy their greed.

@El-Shmiablo said:

Trash like Sea of Theives sold 2 million in it's launched week and topped the NPDs for that month.

Man, that game is far from trash. You can say there wasn't a ton of variety of activities at launch, but calling it trash is too much. It isn't Crackdown 3. Also, there's still yet a pirate game to do what Sea of Thieves does better. Just like even though Days Gone has problems right now, there's not really a game that has done massive zombie hordes in an open world better.

@DIPSET said:

Super Mario Party, a half decent game but nothing special, can pull off 6.4m as an exclusive?!

Super Mario Party had the advantage of the hype going in as it was labeled as the return to form for the franchise so many people had been waiting for. They only found out it was kinda a mediocre game despite that after having bought it.

The results for this fiscal year are going to be insane next year when we see this report with all the stuff they have lined up.

• This post is deleted!

• A couple new documents have been published:

Outline of consolidated financial results
    Briefing

The outline is a summary of what I went through yesterday so no new info, but the briefing has some interesting tidbits:

• The sell-through from January to March was 35% higher than the same period of the previous year.
    • Yoshi’s Crafted World outperformed past titles in the series at launch. In addition, the percentage of female consumers is relatively high for this title compared to other Nintendo Switch titles.
    • Digital sales nearly doubled in the fiscal year ended March 2019 compared to the previous fiscal year (includes Switch Online subscriptions).
    • Pokémon Sword and Shield are being developed to emphasize the fun of playing Nintendo Switch in handheld mode, as opposed to Let's Go which emphasized TV mode (so no waggle to expect).
    • Over 9.8 million Switch Online subscriptions, Tetris 99 played by 2.8 million.
    • Dr. Mario World still slated for early Summer release, Mario Kart Tour later this summer.
    • Video presentation confirmed for E3, no press conference.

• @axel said:

Over 9.8 million Switch Online subscriptions, Tetris 99 played by 2.8 million.

With the way people were talking about it, I thought I was one of the few who didn't bother with Tetris 99, but nice to know there's 7 million others who did the same.

Also glancing through there, I spotted the slide for games from other publishers planned to release this fiscal year, and spotted Hollow Knight Silksong on there, which is sooner than I expected that to come out. Also good to see Crystal Chronicles on the same slide, as there's been pretty much no word of that since first shown while all the Final Fantasy games revealed alongside it have been coming out in waves.

Speculation ahead. Looking at how they're considering release seasons for upcoming games, you can semipredict when the ones simply still slated for 2019 will come out. Luigi's Mansion 3 is probably a safe bet for Fall. Animal Crossing and Link's Awakening could both either go Fall or Winter, but probably will be one in one and one in the other. If I had to bet on it, I'd say Animal Crossing in Fall, just to spread it out away from Pokemon and Animal Crossing cannibalizing one another as longterm games. That's assuming nothing gets delayed though. Think it is safe to say at this point Nintendo has no plans to support Super Mario Party any further, despite it being among the games listed as the first games new Switch owners play. I wonder if this means they're aiming for a quick turnaround on a sequel instead, but either way it is pretty disappointing as that game was severely lacking in number of boards and could've really used some other touch ups. Least it looks like we'll be getting even more Free Smash Ultimate updates alongside the release of future Paid DLC.