Movie trailers

• Jim Carrey seems to be hamming it up so profoundly that I'm actually kinda into it. :]

• @sentinel-beach same here, I'm kinda want to watch it just to see his performance, but man I hate everything else the trailer has to offer.

• They're changing the design for Sonic in the movie after all the bad reception to it.

• How on earth do you do that at this point? The movie's coming out in six months, and you'll need to change every frame Sonic's in? Which is propably like 75 % of the film or something. What a cruel job for the animators. And if THAT result still looks horrible for the audiences...

• Tinfoil hat conspiracy theory: The hideous Sonic model was just a publicity stunt, and they have been working with a better looking one the whole time.

• @sentinel-beach most cgi/animation is done close to the end of production I assume. Only the trailers would be completed. Let me know if I'm wrong.

• Redesigning Sonic won't stop this movie from sucking.

Even the voice is generic. Sounds like so many modern comedies, instead of Sonic.

• @sentinel-beach said in Movie trailers:

How on earth do you do that at this point? The movie's coming out in six months, and you'll need to change every frame Sonic's in? Which is propably like 75 % of the film or something. What a cruel job for the animators. And if THAT result still looks horrible for the audiences...

I would imagine the "skeleton" of the model, including the facial expressions and animations, doesn't need to be redone. They're only swapping the outer body, which will react according to the animations, velocity, etc.

• @ezekiel said:

Redesigning Sonic won't stop this movie from sucking.

That's where I'm at too. Sonic's design was just one of many things wrong with the movie. Even if we get a great looking Sonic from this, he'll still be trapped in a bad Sonic movie, which is mildly insulting to the animators tasked with making the better looking Sonic. Seeing lots of worry about them being forced through crunch on Twitter too, probably because of the wording of #gottafixfast Sonic fans are asking for the movie to be delayed, so that doesn't happen.

• It's a Sonic movie and Jim Carrey is in it. While it's going to get an extremely low review score, this thing will sell tickets, I promise you that much. As far as "delaying" the movie, studios very rarely do that and when it happens, it isn't with high budget films from larger studios. The last film that prominently was delayed was Under the Silver Lake - an R-rated movie with Andrew Garfield as the lead, with a budget of around $8 mil. Sonic's budget is reported to be $90 mil, so it's coming out November 8th, terrible looking Sonic or not.

• @sabotagethetruth said in Movie trailers:

It's a Sonic movie and Jim Carrey is in it. While it's going to get an extremely low review score, this thing will sell tickets, I promise you that much.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's only my gut feeling, but I don't think Sonic is anywhere as popular among the mainstream crowd as gamers may think. He's not even that popular among gamers anymore really.

At this point, it feels like most people willing to watch the movie would do it to make fun of it. We'll see if they take the joke as far as actually buying a ticket when the time comes.

I don't think it will completely bomb, but I can't see it being a success either.

• @axel It's also a kid's movie my dude. While I've seen a lot of negative opinions, I've also seen a fair share of positive ones. If the Minions can sell well, anything can.

• @sabotagethetruth I guess, kids have no taste so anything is possible! ;)

• Can we make this a thread for the sonic movie since it's the only thing talked about. Not everything needs a general topic.

• @iboshow Unless you have a new movie trailer to discuss, that's exactly what this topic is about.

• Also, heard some good things about the Apocalypse Now "final cut" that's coming out. Here's the trailer:
    Youtube Video

• @tokyoslim said in Movie trailers:

Also, heard some good things about the Apocalypse Now "final cut" that's coming out. Here's the trailer:
    Youtube Video

I'm just waiting to place my pre-order. I love what they do with these old movies with HDR, 4K and Atmos/DTS:X. Highly recommend The Bridge on the River Kwai in UHD for old war movies.

• @ezekiel Bridge David Lean was an amazing director. Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and Doctor Zhivago is probably the greatest three film directorial sequence in the history of modern cinema.

• @tokyoslim I disagree so mega hardcore, dude. Those are all my prime examples of prestige movie bloat (though Bridge to a lesser extent). Obviously all technical masterpieces, but huge examples of the self-important lack of editing that I think is the downfall of most movies of that caliber. Even Return of the King (which I freaking love) falls victim to this shit. You see it in all forms of media now (especially books and TV), and I largely trace it back to these kinds of movies. Plus Gone With the Wind. Way too long.

That said, hyped as tits for Apocalypse Now Final Cut. Gonna watch it at my boy's house.