Movie trailers

• @ezekiel Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Taika Waititi film was also covering the manga. It seems like an odd choice to have an anime covering the manga come out at around the same time.

• @capnbobamous said in Movie trailers:

@ezekiel Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Taika Waititi film was also covering the manga. It seems like an odd choice to have an anime covering the manga come out at around the same time.

You're not wrong. I won't be watching that one either. I feel like some of the themes of Akira will be meaningless in a western setting like ours that never lived through atomic bombings. Otomo, the creator of Akira, witnessed the devistation. Much of the manga takes place in a ruined city. The kids will all probably be over eighteen and it won't be as violent. Like Alita, it will be sanitized for a PG-13 rating. The whole '80s aesthetic will be gone too. There are rumors that production has been shut down for now.

I hope the project gets cancelled again. I'd rather have young people read the damn graphic novel or watch the original movie.

• I think shows like Black Mirror do a good job of creating a neo-cyberpunk kinda modern horror that plays on our societal anxieties in a modern context. Episodes like the newest season where people get addicted to virtual sex. Stuff like that works with a western modern audience and is pretty tasteful to our current sensibilities.

I don't see the point in remaking Akira for a western audience. It was created in a different time, country, and context. I think the manga and anime film are plenty. It still holds up and is relevant. I don't see a new film adding anything worthwhile.

• @dipset said in Movie trailers:

I think shows like Black Mirror do a good job of creating a neo-cyberpunk kinda modern horror that plays on our societal anxieties in a modern context. Episodes like the newest season where people get addicted to virtual sex. Stuff like that works with a western modern audience and is pretty tasteful to our current sensibilities.

I don't see the point in remaking Akira for a western audience. It was created in a different time, country, and context. I think the manga and anime film are plenty. It still holds up and is relevant. I don't see a new film adding anything worthwhile.

I guess the generation that Otomo grew up in also played a part in the rebellious attitude of the characters, not to mention the political situation in Akira. Japan was going through big social changes. Yeah, there's no point. Of course, Hollywood is too dense to understand any of this.

• Do you feel the need.... the need for speed?
    Youtube Video

• Oh, and this
    Youtube Video

• This threak finally fulfills it's potential:
    Youtube Video

• New Scorsese movie with a classy cast:
    Youtube Video

• @tearju-engi There are some bad faces in that trailer...

• Youtube Video

I've known about this movie for a while now because some friends of a friend worked on it in the east coast of Canada. From their words, "this movie is going to be fantastic". I loved "The Witch" and it holds a special place in my heart because I wrote my last essay of university on that film for a gothic literature class.

2015 feels like yesterday, but I'm ready for Eggers follow up.