Epic Games Store

• As someone who loves Linux but hasn't use it in years, I honestly have to say to people campaigning for gaming in Linux

Who gives a fuck, just give up your delusions about Linux ever being a viable gaming platform and accept the dystopian present we live on controlled by large corporations.

You can keep using Linux for the important stuff though.

• @bard91 said:

Steam has some real advantages, that can't be denied, but expecting or demanding that everything must be available for it, well I can't put it any other better way besides entitled

When I heard Epic give their bullshit spiel about "not wanting to form a walled garden of games" and that they had partnered with Humble Bundle, I thought they solved it. But then I found out that all this partnership meant was that you can get keys for the Epic Launcher through Humble Bundle. On top of this, the partnership meant they were no longer offering Steam Keys for games, eliminating a place I could purchase Steam games in one fell PR swoop. I don't need everything to be available everywhere, but when things make no sense why they're not available anywhere but a single place you don't want to use, that sucks, especially when the reason for this is to force people to use said place to rapidly grow it.

as far as I'm concerned availability of PC games has been an issue (really a non-issue) for a while, since big companies all have their own clients you have to use if you want to play their games

Thankfully lots of these have boiled down to timed exclusives, but yeah Epic isn't the first. They're just the most aggressive about it I've seen, and unlike those other companies, they're not only doing it with their first party offerings.

I'm kinda lucky that I don't really care about a lot of games in the other clients, so I've never had or will have to deal with Origin,

You're very lucky. I dealt with that once, and my experience was so bad I just avoid games exclusive to it now and usually get them for console instead.

I don't see how it is different, and why Epic has to take such a beating for it

Because they're buying exclusives they had no hand in developing solely to funnel people to their store front and client. In the case of Metro Exodus, this was a game listed as coming soon to other platforms, already with a store page and people preordering it there, that was pulled down last minute when Epic bought exclusivity rights. Anyone who saw the game but didn't preorder the game before it was pulled down was forced to then trot over to Epic's platform to play it when there's no good reason it couldn't be available everywhere.

As someone who loves Linux but hasn't use it in years, I honestly have to say to people campaigning for gaming in Linux

Who gives a fuck, just give up your delusions about Linux ever being a viable gaming platform and accept the dystopian present we live on controlled by large corporations.

I've never used Linux, but everyone I've known who does seems very used to having to tweak games to run on it. If they choose to do that, good on them. I don't know how annoying for developers it is to offer Linux versions of their games, but that's probably a whole different topic in itself. Whether the game is available on Steam or the Epic Store, if it is made for PC and not Linux, the result will be the same. Not to get too much into it when I admittedly don't know alot about Linux, but I think that isn't always offered by developers as a platform because the perceived audience of Linux users is smaller in scale, and it would take more development time and resources to do a Linux version than the seen return on that version of the game. Or maybe those devs just assume Linux users are smart enough to make them run even if they aren't officially supported.

• @mbun If I get your point I think the main gripe you would have with Epic specifically is that they are buying exclusives instead of doing so with their first party games, if that is the case, we will simply have to disagree with that being an issue as I don't see it as a problem in of itself, I agree that the way they did with Metro was not the best way of going about it though.

And yes that is very much the experience with Linux, not just with games but with everything, you can and usually have to tweak things to get them to work, this can go from being relatively trivial to requiring comprehensive knowledge of the OS and a lot of effort, which aficionados like to do, and it can feel rewarding but it is a steep barrier, and the reason why there will never be a demand and why Linux development for games won't be a thing, the audience is not there and the effort is big. Not to long ago a developer released some stats about the crash cases they worked on based on user reports, it was like 90+ % were Linux crashes and they accounted for less than 1% of sales, so yeah I think that is a great example of it.

• @bard91 said:

If I get your point I think the main gripe you would have with Epic specifically is that they are buying exclusives instead of doing so with their first party games

Basically removing games from the rest of the market to force people who want to play them to go there for them, and also if they have that much money to throw around, you'd think they could invest some of it in more features for their userbase to rival Steam. As time goes on, I doubt they even want their own market place and launcher. Just feels like they're trying to use the money they have now to bizarrely negotiate better future income.

• @mbun said in Epic Games Store:

Just feels like they're trying to use the money they have now to bizarrely negotiate better future income.

This is literally the goal of every company, and there's nothing bizarre about it.

• @tokyoslim It is bizarre when instead of just trying to negotiate a larger cut directly you start a competing marketplace and use underhanded methods (buy exclusives, placate people with free games, pretend it is all for the greater good) to get others to flock to it and try to turn the whole thing in some kind of ethical movement to achieve the same end goal. The hilarious part is if this actually worked out for Epic in the sense of they end up overtaking Steam as the big store for PC games, they'll probably drown in the upkeep costs or be forced to raised their cut for the hosted games themselves, unless they keep operating costs down by never giving the community any decent features I guess. That's why they'd rather Steam just fork over the percentages they want and pretend this whole thing never happened. But people are stupid enough to get swept up in this fake ass "more money for developers!" movement when Epic just wants that themselves and are using that lots of other developers do too to their advantage.

Yeah, and it'd be great if the game industry unionized too, but then everyone will complain how long the games take to come out and having to pay more than $60 for a new AAA release. Unlike this stupidity though, that one should actually happen. People can deal with getting less games if it results in higher quality ones that don't destroy the lives of those who make them.

• @mbun said in Epic Games Store:

It is bizarre when instead of just trying to negotiate a larger cut directly you start a competing marketplace and use underhanded methods (buy exclusives, placate people with free games, pretend it is all for the greater good) to get others to flock to it

I am telling you that it's not bizzare at all. In fact, this is exactly what Steam did to brick and mortar stores ten years ago.

• This is literally how capitalism and the free market work.
    Don't like it? Jordan Peterson would like a word with you, ya dang commies.

• From experience in the TV/film world, I know how difficult it is to secure all the pieces of your pie (graph) that makes up the funding/budget of your show. Sometimes $200k can be the difference between a new season and a cancellation. So I definitely support game developers bringing revenue into their studio any way they can get it.

Sure, Metro was already done and the Epic deal didn't directly fund the game development, but there is such a fine line between a studio that is thriving, then later showing up to work one day with the doors locked. People don't realize how possible that can be - even for a studio that works on HIGH PROFILE stuff. Sometimes your budget quite literally just pays for the product and you lose money just to get it finished.

So if a studio can get an extra milly here and there, I think any studio owner would do that. Say what you will about Epic being anti-consumer but jobless developers doesn't help consumers either. I obviously know this isn't a dichotomy between store exclusives and losing your job. My point is to create an example.

In all, I'd disagree that something like Sony making Bloodborne (and funding it) is different than a studio taking a, say, $1M bonus from Epic because until we see that pie chart, we don't know where the money for Bloodborne even came from and we don't know how it compares to a third party studios financing. All I know is that in a world of big budget high profile media, sometimes these businesses go tits up in a heartbeat and I would take the money if I ran the studio too.

• According to this week's EZA Podcast, Valve's VR games will be available on Rift and Vive as well and not be exclusive to the Index, but also yea apparently there's a Vive Pro that costs more than the Index. So there's some pointless semantics arguing thrown out the window. Your move Epic.

• @mbun It's so pointless you decided to bring it back up, eh? That is good news though, one less point against Valve.

Now if they would take less of a cut from developers and remain competitive in the market, everyone could be happy. Your move Valve.

• @sabotagethetruth I'm just correcting misconceptions in the topic, including my own.

• Epic just added regional pricing for a lot of countries.

• Well would you look at that

0_1557921403829_1557916109343.jpg

Looks like the entire PC gaming conference is an EGS exclusive.

• @el-shmiablo This is how the world ends isn't it? Everyone grab the ones you love and bunker down, the Internet is going to burn on June 10th.

• Not that I agree with the fire and brimstone I see in the PC Gamer comments on every single article they make, their show being sponsored by Epic may actually make their audience go insane.

• I like it

• @binarymelon
    No the world ends if they announce that somehow without anyone knowing it, Half Life 3 will be a EGS exclusive. That will drive people to utter insanity.

• Looks like there's a pretty massive sale ongoing at EGS. A bunch of game discounts plus an additional $10 of from Epic for every game $15 and up.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/announcing-the-epic-mega-sale