Epic Games Store

• Reading onward, god, I forgot how little I look at the store fronts any more. I go buy what I want and pretty much leave the store front of Steam alone. I remember trying to go through it for "New Releases" a while back and it was just a mess of things I didn't care about.

How is itch.io for indie devs? Reading about it, they seem more open than Steam with (at least on first glance) a pretty generous revenue sharing stream. They aren't the biggest fish in the pond, but it looks like a great resource for indie folk. https://itch.io/docs/creators/faq

• @iboshow I don't know. Search them?

• @mbun I'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical question.

Valve bought Campo Santo halfway through production of the game. So it's now a Steam exclusive.
    The thing is though... will Campo Santo have a NEXT game? Cause Valve hasn't historically been great about buying studio and then like... having them make games.

• @tokyoslim I googled it, and the very first result is a PS4 version. Found this in their FAQ too, so I think it is a little early to call it an exclusive.

what platforms

• @mbun said in Epic Games Store:

I googled it, and the very first result is a PS4 version

You can do the same thing for a lot of Epic Store exclusives. I have Metro Exodus sitting on top of my PS4 right now. Nobody is talking about console versions. They are talking about having to go to Epic Store to buy stuff on PC and you know it.

What does google say about GOG or Humble? That was the question you were supposed to be looking up.

• @tokyoslim Either way, I think it is just speculation at this point to say it will be a Steam exclusive. That same FAQ doesn't even list the game as published by Valve. It says self published. Also, I gave you in image form above what it says about GOG and Humble.

• @mbun One might venture a guess that self published means something different when you're an indie studio vs when you are Valve. Campo Santo went from being an indie studio when they probably wrote that FAQ, to now being part of Valve.

• @tokyoslim Read it yourself man. I don't know what else to tell you.

published by Campo Santo

Oh and just going to throw in, that if it doesn't come to Humble Bundle, you can blame Epic for partnering with them on that.

@tokyoslim Read it yourself man. I don't know what else to tell you.

I read it. It says nothing. The development blog it points to on the other hand:
    0_1557094590582_Capture.JPG

• @tokyoslim We'll see when it comes out I guess.

• It's simple really - Epic is evil and anti-consumer when they're doing the exact same practices as everyone else in the industry. You're not supposed to call out Valve for the exact same business practices that you say are tearing the industry apart. There's no need to be consistent when you're outraged.

• @sabotagethetruth Except this hasn't been confirmed as an exclusive for Steam yet, so it isn't the same at all. Their FAQ makes it sound like it won't be.

• @mbun What about the VR exclusives that Valve is working on releasing? Do those not count either based on your speculation?

• @sabotagethetruth I remember how like 10 years ago or whatever, Steam was the bad company.

• @tokyoslim Right? And now they're the good guys because they have achievements and make developers lose money. Go Valve!

Their FAQ

was written in 2017

• @sabotagethetruth VR is more like consoles, limited to hardware that can run it. If Steam is releasing their own hardware, it makes sense for them to release exclusive software to sell said hardware. Same principles consoles run off of. I'd be more concerned if they were buying up VR games about to come out on other platforms as exclusives for their new hardware, except obviously this is very unlikely with VR since the games have to be made to spec with the hardware much earlier. So that's a whole different thing entirely.

• @mbun So if I have a Vive that has the perfect specs to run a VR game AND I have Steam (which is normally enough to play VR games), it's totally okay that they have an exclusive game available on their headset that costs a few hundred dollars?

But it's not okay that Epic is making someone download a free launcher to play a game?

If you want to boil it down to the core, each scenario is causing you to use something you normally don't. One of the options is free and you dislike that. One of the options is hundreds of dollars and that's okay to you.

• @sabotagethetruth said:

So if I have a Vive that has the perfect specs to run a VR game AND I have Steam (which is normally enough to play VR games), it's totally okay that they have an exclusive game available on their headset that costs a few hundred dollars?

Steam's new headset sounds like it is going for top of the line specs, so obviously they're going to develop the games to run on that, which a Vive probably can't keep up with. Plus of course they want to sell their headsets.

But it's not okay that Epic is making someone download a free launcher to play a game?

Not when they pay another developer to make their game exclusive to their platform, even though it could run on anything otherwise and in cases was even planned to before they bought exclusivity like with Metro Exodus. They didn't even fund the game's development. They bought exclusivity last minute.

If you want to boil it down to the core, each scenario is causing you to use something you normally don't. One of the options is free and you dislike that. One of the options is hundreds of dollars and that's okay to you.

One is morally justified, while the other is shady business practices. Of course a new, top of the line, VR headset is going to cost you hundreds of dollars. What the fuck are you even arguing at this point?

• @mbun You specified earlier that one of the advantages of owning a PC is choice and freedom - that you can play things how you want, which is why it frustrates you that you are given essentially four options when it comes to games like Borderlands 3 - either you download a launcher you don't like for free, you wait a year for the game to come to Steam, you play on consoles, or you don't play at all.

If I decide to buy a HTC Vive Pro (which is more powerful from my understanding) and I want to play the new Valve game, I have two options. I either buy the Valve Index or I don't play it at all. According to you, that first scenario with four available options is more limiting and shady business, the second option is just fine.

It makes no logical sense and due to the hostility you've expressed in this thread, I'm really wondering what you have to gain by so adamantly supporting Valve. Are you playing Metro Exodus? Are you playing Rocket League? Do you plan to play Borderlands 3? There's been no official notice what is going to happen to future DLC for Rocket League, yet you assume only Epic will get it. There's been no official notice what is going to happen to In the Valley of Gods now that Valve owns it and you assume it will release everywhere. Your stance completely changes based on the company in question.