State of Play

• More Returnal makes me happy. Free is even cooler. Coop could be super fun with someone too.

Triangle Strategy ended up kind of a disappointment to me, so also happy to see Diofield Chronicles.

Above and Turtles aside, the rest was a bunch of games I'm very unsure about the quality of but solid Direct State.

Pretty much confirmed Sony's Japanese studios aren't really making the games I used to love anymore though.

• @sentinel-beach This is one of my most anticipated titles. Was scary how they went radio silent for months. Reaaaally hoping it turns out great.

• Sooo... That was something. I don't feel so good about it but it may be fun.

• Hogwarts as a place looks really neat. It's calling me loudly. There'll be so many cool secrets and hidden places, I reckon. And I also just like the idea of being a student there. To attend all those classes and grow your magical arsenal little by little. I like school. (I'm a teacher. :)

The combat on the other hand didn't look that good. Of course I'll need to feel it myself, but right now the whole thing seemed somehow weightless or something. Weird. "Off" in a sense. And oh boy, that main character's voice acting in the combat! Sounded plain awful. Literally no emotion. Might be that I'll need to be a witch...

• @sentinel-beach said in State of Play:

And oh boy, that main character's voice acting in the combat! Sounded plain awful. Literally no emotion. Might be that I'll need to be a witch...

That's the worst part. Just put a choice like Eivor or Kassandra etc. At least that way character will be lot more detailed in face design and have his/her voice acting done properly. I hate this generic character creation thing in games. Give ama pre-determined character all day!

• It looks okay. When they said it was an RPG, I was hoping for skill points and well written quests (considering it's a game based on a novel after all). I don't get the vibe this is that kind of RPG. Looks more like an action adventure game like Guardians of the Galaxy more than anything.

Also not too impressed with the visual style. It looks cartoony and vibrant. Not quite the somewhat spooky, shadowy, and mysterious world presented in the novels and films.

• I actually think it looks really good. I'm not going to buy it, but I think it looks good.

• @tokyoslim said in State of Play:

I'm not going to buy it, but I think it looks good

just be like me and wait till they put it on PS Plus. :3

• @dipset said in State of Play:

Also not too impressed with the visual style. It looks cartoony and vibrant. Not quite the somewhat spooky, shadowy, and mysterious world presented in the novels and films.

The films were already a lot more cartoony than the books.

I would love for a new set of films to be made that properly capture the dank, brooding, medieval vibes that I got from the books.

• @oscillator I always thought a TV series with each season covering a single book would be best.

• I'm on the same boat as Tokyo. I think it looks really good, the game basically had me at the broomstick gameplay, and I really like how stylish the animations in wand combat are. I'll probably get an used copy, I still can't buy it in good faith considering the controversies with JK R and such.

• @oscillator

Yeah like, even the first 3 films get pretty close to that, but I wasn't expecting the game to be this vibrant. It really don't strike me as a world full of great evils and deadly secrets.

• @bam541
    I said this in a discord chat but no one knows publicly if J.K is actually getting anything from this, or Fantastic Beast 3. Although I assume she probably gets some sort of royalties based on her "involvement " but involvement could range from characters/places/terms she created. Which might be true as my movie industry friend says WB is working on two original "Wizarding World" movies without her involvement (allegedly a 1950's wizard/human crime noir, and a "Remember the Titans" type movie)

Granted WB could always buy the IP, yeah J.K would get some sort of payday from that but it could be used to cut her completely from all future "Wizarding World" projects.

• @dmcmaster The FAQ page of the game's website have a couple of questions about this but nothing is stated explicitly.
    https://www.hogwartslegacy.com/en-us/faq

• Neither Rowling's nor Harry Potter's names were mentioned once yesterday during that whole presentation. Not even when the devs talked about it afterwards in their own video. Just something I noticed during the showing.

• I think you're kidding yourself to even imply they're not getting paid from this. The only way to stop that is to burn it all down. Don't support it. Stop caring about it. Let it die like WoW has been, so all the wonderful fantasy properties that got pushed into the mud by it all these years can finally pop out and shine instead of all the focus going to this one overrated one with a problematic creator.

• @bam541 said in State of Play:

I still can't buy it in good faith considering the controversies with JK R and such.

Really??

• @bam541 said in State of Play:

I still can't buy it in good faith considering the controversies with JK R and such.

y not just buy it pre owned?

• @yoshi yeah I already said I would do that lol.